Jump to content
IGNORED

Lightgun games on flat CRT screens


Brickman
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've done some searching around but can't seem to get a clear answer, hoping someone here can help.

I have a Sony Trinitron KV XR29M31 which has a flat screen and I specifically want to play Sega Saturn Japanese lightgun games on it. Is it possible?

A very long time ago I tried Duck Hunt and that didn't work so I'm wondering will this be the case for all lightgun games or just NES lightgun games?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a flat screen Sony Trinitron KV-27FS100L.  It works fine with NES, Genesis, Saturn, and PS1 light gun games.  It sort of works with Master System light gun games, but a few games give me issues.  It does not work at all with the SNES Super Scope Six.  

I also once owned one of the wide screen Sony Trinitrons with an HDMI input.  Not sure on the model number since I don't' have it anymore.    It was not compatible with any type of light gun.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I have a flat screen Sony Trinitron KV-27FS100L.  It works fine with NES, Genesis, Saturn, and PS1 light gun games.  It sort of works with Master System light gun games, but a few games give me issues.  It does not work at all with the SNES Super Scope Six.  

I also once owned one of the wide screen Sony Trinitrons with an HDMI input.  Not sure on the model number since I don't' have it anymore.    It was not compatible with any type of light gun.  

Thanks! Looks like that model is basically the same as mine.

 I must have had a faulty lightgun then. The House of the Dead here I come!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

It should work.  The reason why light guns work is that CRTs are basically one high-powered electron beam scanning across phosphors which light up when they are struck.

The light gun reads a sensor for a very, very short fraction of a second.  If it see the blip of bright white from the screen through the lens on the gun, it registers that it worked.  I can't see how a curved vs. flat screen would change that since it behaves the same way.  In fact, I'm not sure if a flat screen might work better than a curved screen, especially at angles.  If you tried to play at a wide angle, the side you're on would be biased against the other side due to the screen curve.  On a flat screen, you're either going to see it or not, regardless of the angle. But, if the gun can get a consistent read from wherever you're positioned, it should work regardless of it your target is on the left or right. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RH said:

....

 

While I agree for the most part and my experience matches, my Super Scope Six still doesn't work, and I've read of and seen many others with the same issue.  In fact, I have yet to see a SS6 work on a flat screen, so I'm not yet convinced that it's something wrong on my end.  But I don't know enough about it to say why it would be different than the others.  If someone knows, I would be interested in finding out.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

While I agree for the most part and my experience matches, my Super Scope Six still doesn't work, and I've read of and seen many others with the same issue.  In fact, I have yet to see a SS6 work on a flat screen, so I'm not yet convinced that it's something wrong on my end.  But I don't know enough about it to say why it would be different than the others.  If someone knows, I would be interested in finding out.   

Very interesting.  Are these DTVs? I guess that could make a difference.  Even though the CRTs still work the same way, maybe there are more scans per frame or something.  I definitely could see that throwing of the timing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RH said:

Very interesting.  Are these DTVs? I guess that could make a difference.  Even though the CRTs still work the same way, maybe there are more scans per frame or something.  I definitely could see that throwing of the timing.

Mine is not as far as I know.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...