IGNORED

Wart Worm Wingding (New NES Homebrew Demo)

johnvanderhoef

Hey all!

Here is the demo for Wart Worm Wingding. I made it over the course of four days. It includes 30 levels and 3 bosses.

The music is placeholder, and sourced from my game Wampus. The final game will contain 100 levels and 10 boss fights. It'll be out sometime in 2020. Everything here is subject to change. I just made this to show some buddies over the holidays. And to share with the community.

It's donation based -- always welcome -- but you can just download it for free, of course.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting!

I didn't make it past the first level due to this bug though -- When 3 aliens and both players are on the same level, one of the aliens doesn't get displayed, so you have an invisible enemy wandering around. See the attached image. There's a 3rd invisible alien wandering around down there that keeps killing me. Is that something that could be fixed? It would really improve the gameplay, I think.

bug.png

4 hours ago, gauauu said:

Thanks for posting!

I didn't make it past the first level due to this bug though -- When 3 aliens and both players are on the same level, one of the aliens doesn't get displayed, so you have an invisible enemy wandering around. See the attached image. There's a 3rd invisible alien wandering around down there that keeps killing me. Is that something that could be fixed? It would really improve the gameplay, I think.

bug.png

Doh! That's what you get when you test it only in single-player. I'll look into it.

I'm already using the sprite flicker solution (linked above) in my base code. I can't recreate the issue on my end because I seem to have lost my second controller. But I believe it has something to do with the solution giving priority to the two player objects (when playing two players). What happens when one of the players leaves that bottom row? Does the invisible enemy reappear? They should of course be cycling based on the code I'm using, so I don't know. This will take longer to figure out on my end.

58 minutes ago, johnvanderhoe said:

I'm already using the sprite flicker solution (linked above) in my base code. I can't recreate the issue on my end because I seem to have lost my second controller. But I believe it has something to do with the solution giving priority to the two player objects (when playing two players). What happens when one of the players leaves that bottom row? Does the invisible enemy reappear? They should of course be cycling based on the code I'm using, so I don't know. This will take longer to figure out on my end.

Yeah, if either player jumps out of the way, then the enemy reappears.

Hey all,

The Wart Worm demo now contains an additional 10 levels and an additional boss fight.

That's 40 levels in total and 4 boss fights.

I'm obsessed with this at the moment, although I am leaving on holiday travel in a matter of days, so this may be it for updates for a long while.

Currently still free (though donations always encouraged).

https://johnvanderhoef.itch.io/wart-worm-wingding