IGNORED

Rollergames... Fun game - Help me beat this MF!

AirVillain

This game is pretty fun!!

I recall playing this as a kid, but because the controls are a bit tricky I think I gave up on it pretty early. Saw it randomly on an AVGN list (not ashamed to admit), and figured it's worth another shot. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ As an adult, knowing Ultra was actually Konami, I figured this game could be decent so I picked it up. Great music, neat graphics, neat story/cut scenes/set-up...

The movement is actually pretty good if you give yourself a minute to figure it out. It would be better if the fighting levels used the fighting mechanic (it switches somewhat when you get to fight areas after a flex from your character ๐Ÿ˜…) throughout, but I understand they probably wanted the fast skating to be there.

I always hate when beat 'em ups have slow moving characters. It's my pet peeve for most games, really. So using the roller skates as a reason to make these characters move faster is cool with me.

Once you get to the fighting sections of the levels, it's fucking RADICAL! You're kicking ass like Billy and Jimmy but on roller skates. Overall, I think if the entire levels were like this the game would have been much better... But still awesome to have a bit of variation in levels throughout as I also enjoy the "auto scrolling" levels where you're skating across the screen getting chased down by motorcycles and shit.

Now... to actually PLAYING the game:

Okay, so I'm lying by saying "beat" because I am cheating right off the get go..... but only by using the continues provided in the game. Since I just started playing it, I've just been using the continues to get through. Once I figure out the entire game I could see how it's possible to do legitimately, but some parts are pretty tricky. I guess it depends on the "last stage".... ๐Ÿค”

So help me with this shit... Please!ย  I'd rather get a few tips from here rather than REALLY CHEAT (๐Ÿ˜†) and watch a video on YouTube. I figured it would be more interesting to try to use some tips from everyone here and see if I could get it done "old school"... aka by "talking" to people.

So... I'm on the "last stage" as I think the game itself referenced. It's a side scrolling one where you have to beat up dogs and hawks and jump onto different sections of highway, avoid motorcycles, etc.... BUT THEN YOU GET TO A GIANT TRUCK THAT THROWS BARRELS AT YOU ๐Ÿ˜ฑ .... WTF am I supposed to do here?

I've tried chilling at the bottom and jumping over the barrels that come there, but eventually the trucks just slows down into me. I've tried skating CLOSER to the truck so the barrels fly over my head, but they still catch me.... I've tried to skate UNDER the truck, but it hits me too.... seems like there's nowhere safe to go when this damn truck slows down into me....

ANY TIPS!?

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1

I love Rollergames. Underrated Konami classic.

Anyway, that's not even close to the last stage. But the way to get throughย  it is reach the truck with enough health so that you can take some hits and then stay at the bottom left of the screen. Try to either jump the barrels or move right to get under them.

The game gets much harder after this. There's some really tricky platforming coming up.

My preferred character is Hot Flash because she's fast and good at jumping. I've beaten the game deathless with her. But she's the physically weakest of the three.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I love Rollergames. Underrated Konami classic.

Anyway, that's not even close to the last stage. But the way to get throughย  it is reach the truck with enough health so that you can take some hits and then stay at the bottom left of the screen. Try to either jump the barrels or move right to get under them.

The game gets much harder after this. There's some really tricky platforming coming up.

My preferred character is Hot Flash because she's fast and good at jumping. I've beaten the game deathless with her. But she's the physically weakest of the three.

Yeah, I'm quite enjoying it! Made me look at what other Ultra titles I might be overlooking, haha. ๐Ÿ˜†

Haha, dammit!! Should have known that wasn't the actual last stage. ๐Ÿ™ˆ

Okay, that's what I was doing somewhat successfully (staying on the bottom left when the truck comes and jumping the barrels).... I thought moving to the right to get under the barrels would work but I kept getting clipped.

I'll try to get gooder/remember the patterns better. ๐Ÿ˜…

Right on... I've been using the Rockers team.... I noticed Hot Flash was faster, and I assumed not as strong. Fat guy was slow so I figured he was faster.... The Rocker team seems to work well for me as the movement was fast enough.

I've literally only played it a couple times (couple hours total maybe?) so in NES terms, that still VERY new.... so hopefully I can improve a bit to try to take on this truck and the further platforming. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Thanks for the tips!

I'm going to go back and play it from the start shortly...

I recommend jumping over most barrels and then moving to the right only as the truck's coming towards you and then go back to the left side when it's safe. You still might take some hits but you should be able to survive.

ย 

• Love 1

Rollergames is awesome! I played it last year and went as The Rockers as well. For that truck, @mbd39ย is right on; you really want to try and get there with some health to spare.

For me, I had more luck staying in the top left and jumping over barrels as best I could. Just keep at it; you'll get it eventually. Let us know when you finish it!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 6:49 PM, mbd39 said:

Hey did you ever get any further in this?

Oops, I'm not great at following up.

No. Haha... shit. I made it to the truck a few more times, but haven't gotten past it yet.

Sometimes I go in "waves" with how I'm motivated to play a game. If I lose/die too many times, I need to take a break before I start to hate the game.

Also got distracted with some Battletoads, etc.....

I was thinking of giving Rollergames another shot soon.... Might be what's next. ๐Ÿค”

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 6:49 PM, mbd39 said:

Hey did you ever get any further in this?

Got 'em!!

Took that truck down.... by.... waiting it out and the guys just drive away? ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿค—

Great tips, though. They definitely helped!

I was just getting comfortable with the pattern when I managed to beat it with a couple health bars left. I preferred to stay at the bottom left, jump the barrels I could, then when it slows down back up rush to the bottom right to avoid the 1-2 barrels it tosses then.

Once you get comfortable with the pattern of the barrels, and are ready to move to the right and avoid 1-2 barrels, then quickly go back to the left you are all good.

I get what you mean with the tricky platforming... level 5 was tight! Only took me a couple tries though, and beat the guy on the waterski first try. Neat boss!

So now I'm level 6-2. Paused it and will get back to it tonight! Played this a few times though and it seems tough as hell! ๐Ÿ™ˆ

ย 

On 3/10/2024 at 7:35 PM, Rhuno said:

Rollergames is awesome! I played it last year and went as The Rockers as well. For that truck, @mbd39ย is right on; you really want to try and get there with some health to spare.

For me, I had more luck staying in the top left and jumping over barrels as best I could. Just keep at it; you'll get it eventually. Let us know when you finish it!

Got it!! Thanks for the encouragement! ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

Like I said above, I did prefer to stay in the bottom left, but good to know there are multiple ways to get it done!

Now tonight we'll see how brutal 6-2 is. Already died about 20 times on the moving platforms last night. ๐Ÿคฃ

Side note: Contra is one of my favourite games, and probably one I've played the most. So I think it's funny when I hear the same sounds in other games. I immediately assume it's a "Contra sound" even though Konami used a lot of similar sounds. The death and pause sounds are the same, I believe, for example.ย 

Edited by AirVillain
Edits
  • Like 1

For 6-2, I think it's best to quickly get through those jumps rather than taking your time with them. Figure out how to do them all in one go. It will take some trial and error but you should get the hang of it.

Fortunately the last boss isn't that difficult at all. Sometimes he does a really big jump and you have to connect with a jump kick as soon as he lands. If you're a hair too late you'll get hit. Also try to get him with your three specials. Be careful because he can stun lock you for a lot of damage.

ย 

ย 

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, mbd39 said:

For 6-2, I think it's best to quickly get through those jumps rather than taking your time with them. Figure out how to do them all in one go. It will take some trial and error but you should get the hang of it.

Fortunately the last boss isn't that difficult at all. Sometimes he does a really big jump and you have to connect with a jump kick as soon as he lands. If you're a hair too late you'll get hit. Also try to get him with your three specials. Be careful because he can stun lock you for a lot of damage.

GOT IT!!! Finished it off last night.

Thanks for the guidance!

I Think You Should Leave Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

ย 

Yeah, you are totally right on 6-2....

The little conveyors were annoying at first and thought they were going to be brutal, but you're right.... once you just go for it and make quick little jumps, you're good to go!

And yes.... everything you said about the boss waws correct.

I found it annoying when he'd hit you jumping AND landing, but alas.... I guess that's why he was the final boss.

You're totally right. If you can hit the 3 power moves, that's a great start. Unfortunately, I think I missed one on the time I beat it.... but was still able to pull it out.

Great game overall.

I don't think I could dedicate myself enough to the game to ACTUALLY beat it. I mean.... maybe.... but at this point in my life, I'm happy when a game has unlimited continues, so I can just play through the game.

These levels didn't seem excessively difficult, but it makes it easier to hack through with unlimited continues. Very enjoyable experience, good gameplay, funny story.... definately going to go into rotation.

I thought the ending was hilarious, too. All 3 three teams hanging out with the owner of the league. ๐Ÿคฃ Like... okay... so the other teams are just gone now so we'll have to play against each other after banding together to save the owner. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜†

There was a hilarious line in the ending, too.... I forget it now. Haha, shit.... Ah well... will probably play through it again soon while it's still fresh in my head. The truck level was much easier, and seemed much shorter, after going back to it this most recent time so should be a good play through.... ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Congrats, man.

I've 1cc'd it multiple times and beaten it deathless once with Hot Flash. Deathless is a tall order but I think it's worth going for a 1cc.

ย 

๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘ Appreciate it...

Holy hell! Deathless... yeesh! With all the tricky jumping and annoying deaths bouncing off walls with your roller skates that's impressive.

I'll definitely be giving it a shot.... since the game is a solid one for rotation, we'll see how it goes.