IGNORED

Bringing Up An Asteroids Deluxe Cabinet

SNESNESCUBE64

Well the time has come to work in my first vector. I picked this cabinet up from a KLOV member a little while back and was going to wait to restore it until I moved due to how heavy this cabinet is. However, moving is being pushed back several months so screw it! I brought it home yesterday.

PXL_20240218_183303619.jpg.659064ae5694a11fbbff873c1c4a325b.jpg

First thing I did was validate power. I shotgunned the 2n3055 since I have those on hand (using up the rest of my thermal paste). From there I checked the ripple on the 5V rail. I measured some .4V of AC ripple so I replaced the big blue, after doing such it was good. From there it was testing the game board. To my suprise it booted up! Vectors are a little shakey but I've read that it could be because of the gain pots, those are on order.

PXL_20240218_220741585.jpg.b989f168f6a22526c85d2e6dc2fbc3b6.jpg

With the game board outputting known good signals, it was finally time to mess with the monitor. This was my first time working on a G05-802. I figured it wouldn't be too terrible, it was described to me as "the baby mode of monitors". F700 was missing from the deflection board so I assumed the worst that one or both of the deflection transistors was shorted out. Testing it from the connector, I measured a dead short between the collector and emitter pins on the connector. Pulling it, someone had made a goof by swapping places of the 2n3716 and 2n3792. The 2n3716 tested bad, but I ended up swapping the pair (putting them in the correct places). Also replaced fuse F700 with the specified 2A fast blow fuse. This solved that issue, however I had another issue: brightness was cranked up and the adjustment was unresponsive. It is probably responsible for the burn spot on the monitor.

PXL_20240219_004437093.jpg.87f32e26fa3289af8b94a4f44ca544fb.jpg
This ended up being a simple fix, I believe it was C504, that cap had actually tested bad. While I was there, I replaced all the other caps (except for the 6800uF input filters because I didn't have them on hand). I also reflowed the solder on all of the connectors due to a handful of cold solder joints being present. After that, contrast and brightness were fully adjustable.

PXL_20240219_014433841_MP.jpg.82d18dd8f1bdb739d7d627d5972e68e8.jpg

Right now the game is playable but like I mentioned earlier, the vectors are a little shakey. I am still looking into that. I also have recap the HV cage on the monitor. Hopefully I'll make some progress this week. Overall this cabinet is in good shape and won't need a ton.

• Like 1

Cool thread!  I'm no expert, but I've brought a couple machines back to life.  Like learning a whole new thing every time.  Thanks for sharing your steps here.  It may help me in the future as I own the cocktail version.

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 1:59 PM, wongojack said:

Cool thread!  I'm no expert, but I've brought a couple machines back to life.  Like learning a whole new thing every time.  Thanks for sharing your steps here.  It may help me in the future as I own the cocktail version.

Funny enough I have a table too. It's currently missing the monitor and control panels, so it's just a waiting game.

I also write repair logs if that helps ya. I am really behind in writing new ones but should be soon.

https://www.videogamesage.com/blogs/blog/33-snesnescube64s-repair-logs/

• Wow! 1

27 minutes ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Funny enough I have a table too. It's currently missing the monitor and control panels, so it's just a waiting game.

I also write repair logs if that helps ya. I am really behind in writing new ones but should be soon.

https://www.videogamesage.com/blogs/blog/33-snesnescube64s-repair-logs/

Amazing!  I'm just a hobby-type guy, but I've done more in the past 20 or so years than I thought I would to repair consoles and arcade machines.

I will certainly be checking out your repair logs.  I may hit you with a question once I get into my next binge of trying to fix things.

• Like 1