IGNORED

Where did the Sega CD Lunar disc variants numberings come from?

9 minutes ago, xelement5x said:

Yeah, WD had a chart up on their website years back to show the variant info.  I shared my compiled info on all releases with a friend several years back and we made a nice spreadsheet about all the variants here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NJdYBzy5fGe2FvBUrslNQBnSpQ6lcDWkAq8a-JhVL38/edit#gid=0

Thank you, kindly. 
looking at your spreadsheet, you have specific discs came with specific back inserts.  Are these assumptions based off observations or do you have confidence in this info?

Working Designs was always closed mouthed about their production numbers.  Unless I missed it they never even released how many of each variant was released (I went through an exchange of messages with someone there where they refused to give me numbers, dates of the runs or even rough ratios. And they wouldn't tell me why it was a state secret.  Good products but miserable public relations.)

y

36 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

Thank you, kindly. 
looking at your spreadsheet, you have specific discs came with specific back inserts.  Are these assumptions based off observations or do you have confidence in this info?

The back art for 7 with the blue dot is 100% sure.  Seen almost every copy pop up like that.  Similar for 1, the Sega printed version with the misspelling and no foiling match up.

I'm pretty confident in the back insert information as well but it's hard to be 100% sure.  SpaceFlea had a nice thread on Sega16 showing the differences (wish they would fix their forums), and I saw the same trends myself so I feel pretty confident in that match up but I cannot tell you it is the perfect truth, only Vic would be able to do that and he's gone pretty quiet recently.  The Gaijinworks forum is gone too 😞

Problem is back in the day stuff would get traded in and discs separated from cases, then re-pieced at checkout so it's really tough to be positive.

10 minutes ago, xelement5x said:

The back art for 7 with the blue dot is 100% sure.  Seen almost every copy pop up like that.  Similar for 1, the Sega printed version with the misspelling and no foiling match up.

I'm pretty confident in the back insert information as well but it's hard to be 100% sure.  SpaceFlea had a nice thread on Sega16 showing the differences (wish they would fix their forums), and I saw the same trends myself so I feel pretty confident in that match up but I cannot tell you it is the perfect truth, only Vic would be able to do that and he's gone pretty quiet recently.  The Gaijinworks forum is gone too 😞

Problem is back in the day stuff would get traded in and discs separated from cases, then re-pieced at checkout so it's really tough to be positive.

I actually remember that space flea lost/thread and I was wondering if you got that info from him.  As you said, over time things inevitably got swapped.  actually, in the back of the lunar eternal blue strategy guide victor Ireland stated disc 7 is the only disc that can be tied to a particular packaging style, which is the blue dot back insert variant.

not saying there isn’t some truth in what Space flea stated, but also victor could be full of shit.

Yeah no joke, I'm a huge WD fan but I can definitely recognize Vic was a big pitchman when I came hyping up releases and only giving piecemeal data to drive variant sales.  It was still the case when they did the Class of Heroes and Summon Night releases later too.  

51 minutes ago, xelement5x said:

Yeah no joke, I'm a huge WD fan but I can definitely recognize Vic was a big pitchman when I came hyping up releases and only giving piecemeal data to drive variant sales.  It was still the case when they did the Class of Heroes and Summon Night releases later too.  

i was particularly annoyed when he would dis games that could be seen as competition to WD titles.