IGNORED

Strange situation with an aftermarket cart and a Toploader(HDMI) vs stock Action Set

Tanooki

Ok I'm sure a few here are aware of that one off seemingly hacked to bits old everdrive board that was used with various attached parts to create a Super mario all-stars NES MMC5 super hack famicom cart I have, pictures below.

Recently I got that PVM and decided to try out that game on my Action Set, all that has been done there is killing pin4 of the 10NES and the usual boil/pull of the stock pin connector -- that's it.  Yet, the game is having problems on the system.  It takes a moment to fire up rolling some colors, then from there is shakes a bit and gets graphics problems, uglier on the menu system infidelity made, but, also in each of the games there is some character data that's just scrambled in pieces on things, usually it appears on the sprites.

But, if I put it on the top loader I've had for years now with the HiDefNES kit installed -- solid, the game isn't glitching out like crazy where it's semi-unplayable.

I know I'm not supplying much other than this and pics, but what could be the issue here?  I wanted to play that on the little CRT and it's just not happening and I'm 99% certain when my toploader got the fix, it was disabled from doing RF so I can't exactly just pull it and get an adapter for that port to rca either.SMAS-FC-Infidelity2017a.jpg.d5010b5c034a6c478d21db62857be102.jpgSMAS-FC-Infidelity2017b.jpg.7ac7ff315b747599c4a487734c40b1d8.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your links are broken.  At a guess, I would say the HiDef mod is taking over some aspects of the MMC5 chip.  I know Kevtris emulated some special chips with expansion audio because of the missing pins.  Something similar may be happening here.  If you can get a hold of another un-modded NES to test with, that would probably clarify if it's the cart or the NES.

Edited by CMR

Surprised to see a comment after this long, but as I said I tried it on two systems.  Action set (10NES snipped, that's it) and then the kevtris core in the HiDefNES kit in the top loader, the modded top loader is the one that does NOT have the fit, it's the base system that is which is just strange.  If anything it's the opposite of what you said, the upgraded core (top loader) system is the one working basically alright.

The links don't work as I erased my stored images.

@Tanooki

I said the opposite of what you're saying I said 😛  I said it's because the HiDef mod is installed that the hacked game is working.  I was suggesting trying another un-modded NES besides the one you have to be sure. 

Another way to test would be to try another MMC5 game in your un-modded system.  If another MMC5 game works fine, then the culprit is your hacked game and the HiDef mod is just propping it up somehow.

Edited by CMR

@CMR

Well it's not exactly working, the jittering is still there in a few places, but the sprite flip flop mess isn't.  I have Castlevania 5, also wizard made me a SimCity cart using a tall FC board.  Both of them work just fine on both consoles.  It's uniquely that cart starting to melt down and I have no clue why.  Joints, wires, etc look fine.