IGNORED

Sealed Nintendo Switch Download Card Packs

ProtonX

Typically these are individually in stores and inactive until used at the register. These are sealed packs of 10-20. I just tool photos of the main ones. Ironically Hollow Knight is the only one that doesn’t end in .99 cents.

I’m sure given enough time these may have some value… maybe. Any ideas at the moment?

01A4ABC2-54E1-4E32-81B2-9E5A332C225A.jpeg.cd125dde0b28e80cea826360d3aed7b6.jpeg

CB0561D4-038C-4425-87BF-B7402118A6B6.thumb.jpeg.498052b216641493a46af56e56c2c4ef.jpeg

Just so I'm clear on what these are, these are packs of DLC codes and they are shipped this way to retailers who then open them and hang them up for sale?

How'd you end up with so many of them?  I have to be curious.  Regarding value, I can't imagine they are worth more than the total of the face value and with time, I doubt they will go up.

Once the Switch store closes (and that could be in another 10 years, but it will happen) these items will see a plunge in value and I'd guess they'd be in the $2-5 range, maybe depending on the title.  Will they go up in time from then?  Probably, but I'd never expect them to be worth the face value because the value isn't in the card, but the game.   You also have to keep in mind that if people want to collect these, they can always collect post-scratched/used ones.  Even  though unused cards will be much more rare (maybe by a factor of a few hundred to one in 20 years), they are still nominally different in the fact that only the back box will be scratched off.  For whatever the going rate of a mint, scratched copy goes for, an unscratched will probably go from 25-100% more, depending on the rarity and title.

Of course, I have no clue if that will be true, but that's my estimation.  If you want to get your best value out of these, sell them now.  If you managed to get these for a steal (no pun intended), then sell them for 15-25% less than face value and reap the profits.  Otherwise, I would assume holding onto these is only going to be a loss in value over time.

• Agree 1

Just want to repeat that these codes are inactive, you aren’t buying 10-20 codes to download Stardew Valley in a said pack. These have no value until they are actually rung up at the register. You can go to target and take 100 of these and walk out the door, these just happen to be sealed. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RH said:

How'd you end up with so many of them?  I have to be curious.  Regarding value, I can't imagine they are worth more than the total of the face value and with time, I doubt they will go up.

These wouldn’t even be worth face value as the DLC code does not work until rung at a register that can activate it. 

not trying to shit on OP for trying to sell just making sure people understand what they are buying 

Edited by a3quit4s

Yeah- these are inactive packs. Sorry if that was unclear. Right now they are just plastic that is sealed. I didn’t pay anywhere remotely near the market value of them active- more like a few cents each.

At the moment I don’t think they have a ton of value- but maybe they will someday be considered like vidpro cards…

Edited by ProtonX

8 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

These wouldn’t even be worth face value as the DLC code does not work until rung at a register that can activate it. 

not trying to shit on OP for trying to sell just making sure people understand what they are buying 

1 minute ago, ProtonX said:

Yeah- these are inactive packs. Sorry if that was unclear. Right now they are just plastic that is sealed. I didn’t pay anywhere near the market value of them active.

At the moment I don’t think they have a ton of value- but maybe they will someday be considered like vidpro cards…

So how are these actually activated?  If you take one to the front of Target and buy it, does the kiosk call some back-end, automatic command to tell Nintendo to activate the code?

I mean, I guess that makes sense.  I've never thought about it.  I almost never by DLC and if I do, it's within the Nintendo app store.

I’ve personally never bought any at a store- which is now kinda ironic. I would assume they are like gift cards that until they are rung up are blanks without anything loaded on them.

Someone else may need to comment on this- but they may actually just be placeholders and the actual code ends up on your receipt. I’m not sure.

Just now, ProtonX said:

I’ve personally never bought any at a store- which is now kinda ironic. I would assume they are like gift cards that until they are rung up are blanks without anything loaded on them.

Someone else may need to comment on this- but they may actually just be placeholders and the actual code ends up on your receipt. I’m not sure.

I assume the code would be either retrieved from Nintendo and printed on the receipt or retrieved from a block assigned to target or whatever store at a lower value so they make a couple bucks on the sale. The cards used to have the codes right on them but I think your spot on that they are on the receipt now and each card is just generic. 

32 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I assume the code would be either retrieved from Nintendo and printed on the receipt or retrieved from a block assigned to target or whatever store at a lower value so they make a couple bucks on the sale. The cards used to have the codes right on them but I think your spot on that they are on the receipt now and each card is just generic. 

Yeah- I just looked at the back of these cards. No code or place to scratch one.image.thumb.jpg.e4f3689b2d36ea129c6bb86618d85abc.jpg

• Thanks 1

Seeing and understanding this now, I'd be willing to be that retailers get these for free.  These things cost less than a penny each to print and since any place like Target/Wal-Mart/Game Stop is going to be ordering thousands of games, shipping stuff like this in a box is practically free.

I have no idea how to value these.  I mean, a the moment they are in a way worthless (at least to distributors) but they are kind of neat.  I might give $1-3 per pack depending on the game, but that's just me.  In the future, again, that could be different depending on how rare they become and general desirability but who knows what that will look like,