IGNORED

PS2 Controller Issues

rdrunner

Wondering if anyone here has dealt with this problem before: I have this OEM PS2 Dual Shock 2 controller that has always worked great, but every so often the start button fails at odd moments.

For example, I recently loaded Capcom Classics Collection on my PS2 Slim.  I was able to navigate the menu to select a game just fine and then use the start button to get past the screen that screen says to "press start button" to finish loading.

From there, the start button can be used to begin a game UNLESS I specifically selected "1943: The Battle of Midway".  On this one game, the start button fails and the game won't begin.  I can switch to another controller and the start button works fine.  I can consistently repeat this error with the same controller, game, and selections, but otherwise the controller works fine.

Any idea what's going on here?  Is there an easy fix or do I just need a new controller (if so, any recommendations)?

Take apart controller and 99% IPA on a qtip and clean the board focusing on where the start button pad is. Honestly if you tear it down go over the whole motherboard with a clean toothbrush and a little bit of IPA. You’d be surprised how much grime there is in controllers. On a specific game is odd but that is where I would start anyways. I’d probably use contact cleaner on the contacts that connect the controller to the console and on the console controller ports as well. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Thanks 1