IGNORED

Grading companies - how much is too much?

GPX

How many grading companies do you prefer?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What number(s) do you prefer?

• 0 - I hate all things graded
    • 1-2 - I prefer the bare minimum
    • 3-4 - a small selection is useful
    • 5-6 - a handful seems about right
    • 7-8 - I like learning new logos and abbreviations
    • 9-10 - two handful seems a nice number
    • >10 - the more the merrier!
    • Undecided

With the increasing popularity of sealed games over the years, there was the inevitable increased interest in the grading of sealed games that VGA helped to build a good base for sealed collectors. Then came WATA, which popularised the grading of games in general, be it sealed or non-sealed. Currently, graded games are looking like becoming more mainstream, and there are about a handful of new grading companies popping up left, right and centre. So...

I just want to ask, how many grading companies is too much company? What number(s) are you happy with?

Edited by GPX

I voted 3-4. My graded collection is mainly of the VGA variety with 1 or 2 from UKG. Due to the pandemic, I’ve stopped buying graded games for the past 1-2 years. When things settle down more, I can see myself trying out WATA, particularly with some of my CIB rarities. Maybe in the future I can give another company a try, but can’t see myself trying out too much more than this. 

I feel like it's kind of hard to vote in this poll. If we're talking strictly North America I think 3 is a healthy number. However I understand the desire for grading companies throughout the world. It's risky shipping sealed product across borders plus I would assume graders who specialize in that regions games would be best at determining authenticity and condition. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

I feel like it's kind of hard to vote in this poll. If we're talking strictly North America I think 3 is a healthy number. However I understand the desire for grading companies throughout the world. It's risky shipping sealed product across borders plus I would assume graders who specialize in that regions games would be best at determining authenticity and condition. 

Some good points you raised. As an NTSC collector, pretty much all you need is 2-3 right now. Whereas with Pal collecting, you’re likely to expand and try various grading companies from around the globe. For example, some new/sealed UK games can only be found in UKG-graded form. 

I’ve added to the poll “undecided” option. Which for now, seems a valid response. I guess another way of looking at it is “what number of grading companies, for you, would become unnecessary”?