IGNORED

Movie Discussion: Rarity: Retro Video Game Collecting in the Modern Era

inasuma

5 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it, even though there were a few ppl in it that I cant stand.  In the end, at least they didnt have Pat the NES Punk in it...

I am definitely jealous of the dentists collection!  Its pretty sweet, but he seems like a smug prick, so we probs wouldnt get along.

The story from @8bitsupremacyabout tracking down the son of the old owners of the video store was epic.  To be honest he was by far my favorite person interviewed.

Thanks man.  That was the biggest stroke of luck ever, because I've definitely tried to shake down many rental store owners all around Chicago, unsuccessfully, but at least my personal one growing up I was magically able to get ahold of them, AND they still had stuff leftover in storage.  They folded in 1993 if I'm not mistaken and when I tracked them down it was 2017?  Still just had NES and Genesis games in the basement of their little Wisconsin house that entire time.  Kind of insane really that it panned out.  The Chip 'N Dale and also Millipede NES carts I got from that haul are definitely the same exact carts I rented growing up so it's essentially like I tracked down lost original childhood games.

Side note, had I got ahold of them two years prior I could have scored even harder because the owner's son told me he "filled two big garbage cans up with Nintendo games" and threw them away because he said there was some kind of water damage near where they were stored.  That kind of kills me because I had a pretty damn good memory of what games were on their wall back in the day and there was definitely a copy of Snow Brothers I was really praying for but alas that got thrown away.

I met with the guy twice and here are both lots from the store.  All games were $5 each no matter what (old school pricing), and the Wizard poster was $1.  I have it hanging up in my game room above all my shelves.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgpZBCul1P7/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg7ZKojFEgp/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by 8bitsupremacy
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1