IGNORED

Blue Stinger - Variant?

I initially thought this was maybe a reproduction or something, but now I just think it's a variant I guess (hopefully).  If anyone has the same copy maybe they can check.  I've included side by side pics of a copy I originally bought from an EB Games or something when it was originally released and this one I recently acquired.

The main noticeable difference is instead of the Q Sound logo to the left of the ESRB, it has an MPEG Sofdec logo.  It's also a different shade of blue.  All of the embossing or w/e ( the repeated Blue Stinger title ) is nearly the same with only minor differences.  The data sides both say "Licensed by Sega" or w/e in the outermost (inner) ring.  The MPEG Sofdec one has  *7s* T-13001N for the ring code, whereas the others have %BLUESTINGER followed by a code.   The manual cover is noticeably lighter and kind of washed out looking.

EDIT: Whoops, if someone could move this to the Collector's Questions (if possible), that would probably be the better/appropriate spot.

BlueStinger2.jpg

BlueStinger3.jpg

BlueStinger4.jpg

BlueStinger1.jpg

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RpgCollector said:

There are 4 of this variant on eBay for sale right now. 2 CIB and 2 disk only. The other 16 for sale are the Q sound

I got a bit paranoid as I searched repros and the first site that came up had the MPEG logo and looked similar to mine, but I would imagine they are noticeably poorly made in person whereas this would have to be some PCE Works level stuff.  I also found a sold copy of the MPEG logo and it was a fair bit under the going rate, so I assumed it was perhaps some sort of known fake or something, but then after reading the description I realized the price was lower due to a missing manual and they'd just used a printed cover or reprint manual I guess, odd.

This would also seem to verify it:

https://dcemulation.org/dumpcast/viewtopic.php?t=860

Ooh.  This is a variant I've not seen before.  **added to my list**

The DC on a whole doesn't have a TON of variants that I've caught and I've basically got all of them I'm aware of (save one) to go with the full DC set.

While I've gone through the library a few times in variant chases, I'm sure I'm still missing a number, as this is the second newly found variant I've now had pointed out in the last few months.

• Like 1