IGNORED

The descendants of Ozymandias

Tabonga

The last several years I have been reading a lot of books (and digging into stuff online) about abandoned places, buildings, cars, airplanes, ships and whatever - the topic covers a pretty wide range of things.   It is pretty amazing the amount of resources that humanity has invested in things only to abandon them later for a wide variety of reasons,  

The best of these books gives a bit of history about the object and why it wound up being abandoned.  And there are a lot of pretty specialized books within the genre - for example I have one book that is solely about abandoned amusement parks.  I have quite a few about the sites along the famous Route 66 - including one that takes then contemporary photographs (often postcards) and takes modern photographs of the same place as they are now after being abandoned for several decades.  

Here is one interesting (to me anyway) story that falls into this genre:

https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-history-magazine/2010/august/pearl-discovery

Here is another find made relatively recently of French cars hidden from the Nazis in WWII:

If you like history with a twist you might like some of the works in this field.

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic