IGNORED

Beat Every TurboGrafx-CD Game - 34/47

• TurboGrafx-CD.png.7cb4ad546ef7516d3ef129547574e353.png.0d217a18e33b9dd2fdc2e14f7fb7df0f.png

Each game will be worth one point, so the points will be added up as "games completed" in the leaderboard. Feel free to comment as much as you'd like about the games you've completed (or not).

Here are the rules:

• We're beating these games, starting now. All games must be started no earlier than the posting of this thread. (February 12th, 2024)
  • There will be no "resets" at the end of the year; this is a focus on completing the entire library.
  • Photos of ending are required
  • Emulation is OK, but no cheat devices, cheat codes, looking up passwords, etc. Legitimate runs only.
  • If you have questions about what constitutes "beating" a game, bring it up and we'll figure it out. (Typical requirements are to get an ending screen or credit roll, on the middle or default difficulty. Or beat the high score. Or win the tournament.) Some games are more obvious than others.

Please respect these rules, but more importantly, have fun!

Title Beaten By Notes/Requirements
Addams Family, The Crabmaster2000 Defeat Gomez and reach the vault
Beyond Shadowgate Crabmaster2000 Present Death with one of the 3 Items for a positive ending (Staff of Ages, Magic Sword or Paddleball)
Bonk's Adventure Crabmaster2000 Defeat Evil King Drool
Bonk's Revenge Crabmaster2000 Defeat Evil King Drool III
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure Crabmaster2000 Defeat Evil King Drool III
Buster Bros. Crabmaster2000  Beat Stage 53 (unlocked by beating stages 1-50 without using level select)
Camp California Crabmaster2000 Defeat the Big Cheese
Cosmic Fantasy 2    
Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams    
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes Crabmaster2000 Defeat Naja
Dungeon Explorer II Crabmaster2000 Defeat Phades
Dungeon Master: Theron's Quest Crabmaster2000 Complete the Demon's Gate dungeon
Dynastic Hero    
Exile Crabmaster2000 Defeat Shimbatha
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon Crabmaster2000 Defeat Do-Tar
Fighting Street Crabmaster2000  Defeat Sagat on the 4th Loop
Final Zone II Crabmaster2000 Defeat Dr. Alif Ruman
Forgotten Worlds Crabmaster2000 Defeat Bios
Gate of Thunder Crabmaster2000 Defeat the Obellon Armada (Stage 7)
Godzilla    
It Came From the Desert Crabmaster2000 Defeat the Ant Queen
Jack Nicklaus' Turbo Golf Crabmaster2000 Beat the CPU in a match game
John Madden Duo CD Football Crabmaster2000 Win the Championship in Playoffs mode
J.B. Harold Murder Club Crabmaster2000 Solve the murder of Bill Robbins
Last Alert Crabmaster2000 Destroy Indra
Loom Crabmaster2000 Break the Loom and reunited with the Weavers
Lords of Rising Sun    
Lords of Thunder Crabmaster2000 Defeat Zaggart
Magical Dinosaur Tour    
Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra    
Monster Lair Crabmaster2000 Defeat High Baroom
Prince of Persia Crabmaster2000 Defeat Jaffar and rescue the Princess of Persia
Riot Zone Crabmaster2000 Defeat Tora (Stage 5)
Shadow of the Beast Crabmaster2000 Defeat the Giant's Foot
Shapeshifter Crabmaster2000 Defeat the Dark Ones
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective Crabmaster2000 Solve All 3 Cases
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective II Crabmaster2000 Solve All 3 Cases
SimEarth: The Living Planet Crabmaster2000 Reach Exodus Event on at least Average Difficulty
Splash Lake Crabmaster2000 Beat stage 6-10
Super Air Zonk    
Syd Mead's Terraforming    
Valis II Crabmaster2000 Defeat Megus, The Emperor of Fantastic Dreams
Valis III Crabmaster2000 Defeat Ramses
Vasteel    
Ys: Book I    
Ys: Book II  

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys    

Leaderboard

User # of games completed
Crabmaster2000 34

Edited by Crabmaster2000
  • Like 2

I'm nearly done beating every TG16 game and once I'm finished with that I plan to start working my way through the Turbo CD library. So I thought this would be a great place to keep track of those games while I do so. But I'd also love some company if anyone else would care to join in, either to play/beat some games or even just discuss some of these titles with me I'd love that. 

I'll probably be a few more weeks to finish up TG16, but if anyone wants to get started on Turbo CD before me I'll be keeping an eye on here in the meantime. 

And if the numbers seems off that's because I split the bundled games into separate entries: Bonk/Bonk 2/Gate of Thunder and Ys Books I & II. 

Edited by Crabmaster2000

Breaking the seal on this thread with Jack Nicklaus' Turbo Golf since it was still fresh from beating the TG16 version. It is essentially the same except for the saves are even better. On the TG16 version if you save it'll restart you at the beginning of the hole. In the Turbo CD version it saves right before your swing so you could theoretically try as many times as you want until you get the shot. Jack still isn't a very good golfer though in this version so you shouldn't need to rely too heavily on the saves. There are also voice clips before each hold describing a key feature of the hole and some actual music during the game too. 

Jack Nicklaus' Turbo Golf - CD Ending.PNG

• The title was changed to Beat Every TurboGrafx-CD Game - 2/47
  • The title was changed to Beat Every TurboGrafx-CD Game - 3/47

Bonk's Revenge is done now. Same as the TG16 version. I like that they didn't try to change the games a bunch like in Super Mario All-Stars and just left them as they were. Those SNES versions of the NES Mario games always drove me nuts for not being quite right. 

Bonk' Revenge CD - Ending.PNG

• The title was changed to Beat Every TurboGrafx-CD Game - 4/47
  • The title was changed to Beat Every TurboGrafx-CD Game - 5/47

Gate of Thunder is done and it was fantastic. Really love this game and have never finished it before today. Great music, looks awesome all the power ups are amazing and you can swap them seamlessly whenever you want. Not too challenging, but just enough to keep you on your toes. Generous with the lives and continues. 

I played on Normal and the manual very clearly says that you have to play on Devil difficulty to truly defeat the Obellon armada, but I watched some videos on Devil Difficulty and it is the exact same ending. I think something was maybe lost in translation in the manual and it just meant to choose Devil to really challenge yourself. 

Gate of Thunder - End.PNG

Gate of Thunder - Highscore.PNG

Started working on Splash Lake this morning. Got to level 53 with all of the items so far. Sounds like if you can get all 60 items it'll open up 60 more stages and then if you get all 60 of those items it'll open up yet another 60 stages so 180 levels to go through all together. 

I'd like to join you on this if I can get my TurboGrafx-CD working.  I bought  a broken one years ago and never made an attempt to get it repaired.  It powers on fine, but the disc doesn't spin.  Hopefully it's an easy fix.

52 minutes ago, Red said:

I'd like to join you on this if I can get my TurboGrafx-CD working.  I bought  a broken one years ago and never made an attempt to get it repaired.  It powers on fine, but the disc doesn't spin.  Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Analogue Duo is the answer here 🙂

edit: unless it’s that little gear that always breaks or a cable that needs reseating

Edited by a3quit4s

7 hours ago, Red said:

I'd love the company if you can get it running again!

Turns out the last 60 levels just let you level select to the end. I didn't even mean to do it. I played a few levels and then picked End Game instead of continue to see if there were items to collect in the last 60 stages (There are not), and then when I pressed play it just auto started me on the very last level and fed me the credits. The credits for all 3 loops are identical so I don't think doing all 180 stages is even necessary. Just the first 60 should be sufficient. 

Splash Lake - End.PNG

• The title was changed to Beat Every TurboGrafx-CD Game - 7/47
  • The title was changed to Beat Every TurboGrafx-CD Game - 8/47

Played through and beat Riot Zone on my first attempt last night. Very easy as far as beat em ups go. Nothing too special, but I havn't played a good beat em up in a while so it scratched that itch. The opening cinematic was definitely the highlight of the game though. Very silly. 

Riot Zone - Ending.PNG

Riot Zone - Highscore.PNG

• The title was changed to Beat Every TurboGrafx-CD Game - 9/47

So I was like 10 minutes from the end when I made that last post, lol. Had a little bit of time so I turned the game on and I had it saved right at the end. I love working designs stuff so this was a fun one for me. Exile was a very short and simple for an RPG, but it has that WD charm and as usual a pretty decent soundtrack. Got me hyped up for the sequel too!

Exile - Ending.PNG

On 3/7/2024 at 7:20 PM, a3quit4s said:

Analogue Duo is the answer here 🙂

edit: unless it’s that little gear that always breaks or a cable that needs reseating

I'm hoping that's what it is.  I'm going to open it up in the next couple days.  The Analogue Duo is something I'm considering, but playing old games on a modern TV never looked quite right to me.   

1 hour ago, Red said:

I'm hoping that's what it is.  I'm going to open it up in the next couple days.  The Analogue Duo is something I'm considering, but playing old games on a modern TV never looked quite right to me.   

If you want to call out a few games I'll make sure to leave them for you.

21 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

If you want to call out a few games I'll make sure to leave them for you.

It's okay.  I'd like to give them a shot regardless if they're still on the list or not.  I could still post my thoughts on them here even if they've already been beaten.

Edited by Red
  • Love 1

Been playing Exile Wicked Phenomenon and holy crap is it hard. I googled it and the Hardcore gaming 101 page came up and explained the issue I was having. Apparently they accidentally made it super challenging when localizing it by changing the enemy values and it was too close to the end of production to do anything about it so they just shipped it as is. 

I was looking forward to a relaxing time like the first one.