IGNORED

Nintendo Helifire Free Play Mod

SNESNESCUBE64

So a few days ago I obtained a Nintendo Helifire cocktail table. The problem is that I like having all my games on free play if I can help it. Mainly because I don't want to keep a bunch of quarters around. Helifire unfortunately does not have a free play mode, so I had to mod the ROMs in order to support it.

It was pretty interesting altogether. I used the MAME debugger to go through the disassembly in order to figure out what routines did what and where coin stuff and start stuff happened. The approach I took was to remap the coin switch to the start buttons, rewritting the routines to determine which button was press to add an appropriate amount of credits. From there I set up the game to autostart after coin insert. I tried just jumping to the start of the game but that did not work, it does some goofy stuff when it goes through the coin routine.

image.png?ex=6539d50f&is=6527600f&hm=129

image.png?ex=6538865a&is=6526115a&hm=46c

After rewriting the routines to do act as a free play, it was just rewriting the "insert coin" and "credits" text. This is what I ended up with.

image-33.png.14988c64fd79f7e557ab87cdcb4fd93f.png

image-25.png.5945cb64a8b82ba98c03c798ced707fe.png

I only ended up needing to change two of the ten ROM chips to support it. One with actual code and the other with the free play text. This was a bit more complicated than the free play mod I had to write for Head On N. I can't wait to try this on real hardware, I just have to fix the game board.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...