IGNORED

Cleaning Atari 2600 "sweat" on boards

obnoxious

It's most likely just flux leftover from where the boards were soldered.  There shouldn't be anything at all on the underside of the board that could rust, so you shouldn't ever find any kind of "anti-rust" substance on such a board.  Personally, I'd leave it alone, but if it bothers you, carefully clean it off with some alcohol.  Note that with this being a heavy sixer, the RAM and other chips used are much more sensitive to static than those used in later models and hardware, so you'll want to make very sure you're properly grounded, etc., in order to make sure the system comes out the other side ok.

• Thanks 1

Social Team · Posted

Left over flux is my guess as well.  Not sure how it ages as I never see it "new".  But it always has a little bit of a nasty look to me as it provides a slightly tacky surface so dust clings to it.  Some times it's a little discolored.  But that is the nature of flux and not a sign of anything bad.  I personally love a board cleaned of flux.

Pretty sweet that you got a factory sticker with the date on it.  That puppy is a couple years older than me.  I wouldn't mind a heavy sixer but I love my Darth Vader 2600.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 8:36 PM, FireHazard51 said:

Left over flux is my guess as well.  Not sure how it ages as I never see it "new".  But it always has a little bit of a nasty look to me as it provides a slightly tacky surface so dust clings to it.  Some times it's a little discolored.  But that is the nature of flux and not a sign of anything bad.  I personally love a board cleaned of flux.

Pretty sweet that you got a factory sticker with the date on it.  That puppy is a couple years older than me.  I wouldn't mind a heavy sixer but I love my Darth Vader 2600.

The flux feels like wood varnish, very dry and not sticky at all so I left it there.

Yeah, I'm thinking about preserving the labels, not sure how yet. They are just barely glued to the ABS. I like the "factory reconditioned" sticker also.

On 2/27/2023 at 8:43 PM, FireHazard51 said:

Pro-tip,  if you use a secured (https) website link then you won't have this issue.  Check out my photo is all it's nastiness...

Cleaning these devices is like a therapy, specially when it's old but still in good shape. I have a thing for bringing old abandoned things back to use/life, restoration and such. Feels good.

Edited by obnoxious
  • Love 2