IGNORED

Reed's finds/pickups

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

So, since hunting is very hard (if not impossible) this year, I'll go over some stuff I found in the last 5 or 6 years that  I've never really mentioned before.

Here are some of the highlights from our former local reseller's "common" shelves.  The pricing was 3 for $20.  I took advantage of this a lot, especially with giving him trade-ins.  And I'm honestly not sure how he didn't recognize Whomp Em or Robotrek when I brought them up.  I don't feel bad either, because I gave the guy a LOT of great stuff throughout the years.  Like, tons.  Including the best PS1 bunch I bet he ever got.

(I probably should have thrown Silver Surfer, Raiden Trad, and Space Shuttle into this pic)

I also got tons of Genesis steals from these shelves, but I don't think I have any of them anymore.

IMG_20200726_211424.jpg

One of my favorite thrift stores in my hometown.  This is my favorite haul, where I got a ton of SNES and Genesis, for about $2.25/pop.  These were the highlights.

IMG_20200726_211437.jpg

And finally, another reseller, in my hometown.  The dude had the most ridiculous amount of inventory I've ever seen.  He had so much inventory, that you were guaranted to find a steal or ten every time you went in.  These are some of the highlights.  All of these were probably either $7.99 or $9.99

King Arthur was a mint CIB w/poster that migth have been $30.  I sold everything but the cart.

IMG_20200726_211600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

• 3 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Craigslist score

The dude had a lot of good stuff, including a CIB Solatorobo, but he wanted a nonsensical amount for it.  I negotiated really good price on all of this, but he was really hung up on that one.

Sucks too, because I sold off my sealed one, figuring I'd get the cased-only game at some point later on.  So much for that.

IMG_20200819_194229_1.jpg

• Like 6

Editorials Team · Posted

Thrift store across the street from the motel we stayed at on the way to the park.

They had a bunch of WiiMote pluses and nunchucks in a box.  I grabbed them all before the old woman at the counter bitched me out - said it was all supposed to be sold as a "unit."

Joke's on her though, I grabbed the New Super Mario Bros. she sold me out of the same box.

Joke's on me, it contained Wii Sports Resort.  Oh well, I'll make $10 on the sale still.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted
On 8/4/2020 at 12:34 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Found this for $.50.  Prices online are all over, especially for hardcover, but I figure it will pay off even if I sell low

IMG_20200804_115951.jpg

Nice, just sold this shit for $40

I think there's a really untapped book thrift scene.  The problem is learning what you should be on the lookout for.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Nice, just sold this shit for $40

I think there's a really untapped book thrift scene.  The problem is learning what you should be on the lookout for.

Man do you guys have good books at the thrift store? I always look through the books for anything interesting because they’re $0.50-$1.00 but it’s all Twilight, Religion, and diet books every time.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
31 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Man do you guys have good books at the thrift store? I always look through the books for anything interesting because they’re $0.50-$1.00 but it’s all Twilight, Religion, and diet books every time.

It's kinda hard to say.  Definitely a lot of volume, but it can be hard to know what to make of it.

I went to a huge yard booksale on Saturday and was kinda lost on profiting opportunities.  One of the things I grabbed was an ET novelization.  Can I move that?  Who knows.

21 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Not only that, but just looking through the shear volume of books.  Our book section is huge.  And since there is no way to know what is new and what was there last time, you would need to look through everything each time you go in.  

I have the same issue with music CDs.  I'm sure there are a handful of CDs that I would be interested in, but I'm not sure it's worth the time to dig through them all.  

With video games it's easy because there are never more than a dozen or so games on the shelf.  I can look at everything in under a minute and either grab something or leave.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Hey I knocked out a SNES game.  Can't remember the last time I did that (Syndicate?  Casper?)

$55 shipped, after the seller dropped the price by $20.  I have been trying for YEARS to get these things with labels intact.  Approximately 99% of them have destroyed/fake labels.

2 left to go.

IMG_20201106_162917.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Forgot to update so here's a recap

Haven't really looked for awhile, but a few things come to mind from the last few months

Fairy Tail (Switch) - $55, flipped it for $110 shortly later

Half Life (PS2) - $10 for case and manual (which are pristine) to complete my copy

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Forgot to update so here's a recap

Haven't really looked for awhile, but a few things come to mind from the last few months

Fairy Tail (Switch) - $55, flipped it for $110 shortly later

Half Life (PS2) - $10 for case and manual (which are pristine) to complete my copy

PS2 is actually where I played Half-Life. It was pretty meh, but I have no idea how it compares to the game on an age-appropriate PC.

HL for me was college life and at that time literally every night was a LAN party.  I was of the generation who first saw LAN lines being ran into every room, and all of the gamers took over an entire floor of a dorm.  There was someone gaming 24/7 somewhere and after dinner, there were always at least 2-8 people playing Half-Life, Counter Strike, Unreal, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...