IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

With all of the talk about the Crash Bandicoot games in another thread, it made me want to play through them again.  I started and beat Crash 1 in a few hours the other day and started Crash 2 yesterday.  I was at 65% this morning and my son started to watch me play.  He asked if he could play and since I was ready for a break I saved my game and started a new game for him.  Considering he is 4 years old, I was super impressed with how quickly he picked up on the game and beat the first few levels (despite dieing several  times).  So I left him to play it and  ran a few errands.  I came back to my game this evening and when I went to load my game, I found it replaced with a new save that was about 3% in.  APPARANTLY, my son figured out how to save his game and overwrote mine........  Damn it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I started The Last of Us Remastered (PS4 on PS5) yesterday for the backlog thread. The production values are amazing and the graphics (I can't believe this was a PS3 game), music, and voice work are excellent. The same can't be said for the early story which feels like a cheap knockoff of The Walking Dead crossed with Children of Men. I guess that's pretty good for a videogame, but I was expecting a masterpiece based on the hype.

The intro section is fantastic and really sets the tone for the world (reminded me of Telltale's Walking Dead), but the early gameplay is generic as hell. It's like they combined a mediocre stealth game (why does Joel have superhuman hearing powers?) with the clunky combat from a PS2 game. Whoever decided that all doors, ladders, and large objects require teamwork and a cutscene is on my forever shit list (I feel like Epic Games and Gears of War cemented this horrible gameplay concept as standard).

I'm not trying to be a total downer, but those are my impressions after the first few hours. I've heard from a ton of people that every aspect of the game gets better as you go, so I'm 100% committed to playing to the end. But the opening few hours of the game are pretty damn weak.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, Ausden said:

Still working on ZOE 2nd Runner. Not as exciting as the first game, but I can't stop now! Also started Super Robot Wars V on the Switch.

I'll admit I took a little bit of a break from ZoE2 need to pick it back up but I've been playing kingdom hearts for the first time. Not sure how I feel about it other than a general "meh"

54 minutes ago, hardstyletoaster said:

I'll admit I took a little bit of a break from ZoE2 need to pick it back up but I've been playing kingdom hearts for the first time. Not sure how I feel about it other than a general "meh"

I am struggling to continue on this one. I’m going to keep at it but definitely not as in to it like the first one

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ausden said:

I am struggling to continue on this one. I’m going to keep at it but definitely not as in to it like the first one

Agreed, I don't even understand why it's not. Over all it feels like a better game than the first one was. Except for the main character being a mr "I don't have time for anyone else" tough guy.

18 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Golden Sun for GBA. So much unskippable dialogue!

I played through the game multiple times back in the day and on my 2nd or 3rd time through I made an extra save file on the world map just after the Flint tutorial solely so that I would never have to go through that beginning again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

I played through the game multiple times back in the day and on my 2nd or 3rd time through I made an extra save file on the world map just after the Flint tutorial solely so that I would never have to go through that beginning again.

I've actually never played the first golden sun, but the sequel is so so so good

I feel like Super Mario 3D Land / Bowser's Fury is a mandatory playthrough in 2021 so I'm doing just that.

But I took a break from that, as if pulled by a strange unknown force and I dug up my Atari Lynx and wanted to see if it still worked. It does! If you're familiar with the system, you know you need a game to get it to boot, without software to read it just plays dead. Not even a BIOS screen, nothing.

So I grabbed the first game I could reach, a game I had for years but never actually played because it's just one of those fillers that never gets any mention, good or bad. That game is Robo Squash. What is Robo Squash you ask? Well as the back of the box implies, it is the Ultimate Zero-G Futuresport and nothing less.

In reality it's "3D" 1st person pong with a dash of Nickolodeon zaniness thrown in for good measure. Played for 2 hours straight. 

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I feel like Super Mario 3D Land / Bowser's Fury is a mandatory playthrough in 2021 so I'm doing just that.

But I took a break from that, as if pulled by a strange unknown force and I dug up my Atari Lynx and wanted to see if it still worked. It does! If you're familiar with the system, you know you need a game to get it to boot, without software to read it just plays dead. Not even a BIOS screen, nothing.

So I grabbed the first game I could reach, a game I had for years but never actually played because it's just one of those fillers that never gets any mention, good or bad. That game is Robo Squash. What is Robo Squash you ask? Well as the back of the box implies, it is the Ultimate Zero-G Futuresport and nothing less.

In reality it's "3D" 1st person pong with a dash of Nickolodeon zaniness thrown in for good measure. Played for 2 hours straight. 

That sounds like a wonderful thing to play for a few

• 2 weeks later...

Onimusha Warlords.  For some reason I thought the original title was just Onimusha and was under the impression Warlords was some sort of spinoff or something, then I actually read the page and realized it was a remaster.  Nice game though for the hour or so I played it ( I beat it back in the PS2 days but that's been a while ), beat the first boss and got through some trap / puzzle bits and really got a bit further in the game than I intended to.  Apparently this didn't sell so well and Capcom has since canned remasters for 2-3, which is a shame.

As an aside, and not to knock the game, I think it's held up fairly well, but I kind of wish there was a game with a similar setting that was an actual survival horror game.  The journals that you find and some of the demons are pretty creepy, but Samanosuke is a bit too much of a badass for the game to be scary ( at least beyond initial playthroughs where you aren't as adept/familiar ).

• Like 1

Hades for Switch. Got the physical edition. Usually I don't like back to the beginning when you die games but I'm really digging this one. Best dialogue I have seen in a game for awhile that wasn't overly wordy. Can easily see why this game is regarded very highly. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

I have to say D-Force is probably the worst shooter I've ever played, at least the worst scrolling shooter, maybe there's some Atari nonsense that's worse. They spent their whole technical budget figuring out mode 7 rather than implementing hit detection or making the game run at more than 15fps or making the audio sound effect for the bullets firing not clip every 2 seconds.

If anyone has a recommendation for a worse one, I'd like to try it out of sheer curiosity.

On 4/5/2021 at 5:40 PM, DefaultGen said:

If anyone has a recommendation for a worse one, I'd like to try it out of sheer curiosity.

Probably unlikely to come across one, but I think Skycurser might be the worst one I've played.
It might come across extra offensive though due to how awful playing it feels compared to how great it actually looks.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 4/5/2021 at 9:40 AM, DefaultGen said:

I have to say D-Force is probably the worst shooter I've ever played, at least the worst scrolling shooter, maybe there's some Atari nonsense that's worse. They spent their whole technical budget figuring out mode 7 rather than implementing hit detection or making the game run at more than 15fps or making the audio sound effect for the bullets firing not clip every 2 seconds.

It ain't even close on SNES.  The Rocketeer levels are pretty bad though.

• Like 1

Started playing starfox adventures, retired after 5 hours....

Really, this game is bad. I know it got somewhat solid reviews when it came out, but I really couldn't get any enjoyment out of it. I really feel like the only pro this game has is that it looks and sounds good. Other then that, just dull gameplay, together with a bunch of very irritating mechanics. 

• Like 1