IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

14 hours ago, Sumer said:

Anyway, I am over that problem now and have more patience (I think!).  But, I went with what I guess is considered easy mode? 3 Figthers and 1 Red Mage.  It also helps that the Classic lets you save anywhere during the game.  Being in my 40s with four active kids, I need all the help I can get to beat the original ROM as quickly as possible. 😄

Well keep in mind that if you're going to save anywhere, including in caves/dungeons, that kills all the tension in the game and basically turns it into a walk-over, never mind that it's not really in the spirit of how the game was designed to begin with.  However, you gotta do you, but just remember that you'll probably end up being majorly under-levelled for the back half of the game, due to save-scumming rather than the traditional RPG "grinding" to build up your party to get over rough patches, and this could lead to a lot of frustration in the final dungeon - just a heads up!

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well keep in mind that if you're going to save anywhere, including in caves/dungeons, that kills all the tension in the game and basically turns it into a walk-over, never mind that it's not really in the spirit of how the game was designed to begin with.  However, you gotta do you, but just remember that you'll probably end up being majorly under-levelled for the back half of the game, due to save-scumming rather than the traditional RPG "grinding" to build up your party to get over rough patches, and this could lead to a lot of frustration in the final dungeon - just a heads up!

Gotcha!  I may have to dedicate a few hours when the wife and kids don't need me (late at night when everyone is asleep?) just to grind a bit.  Any suggestion for what level my characters should be at for the final dungeon/boss?

14 hours ago, Sumer said:

Gotcha!  I may have to dedicate a few hours when the wife and kids don't need me (late at night when everyone is asleep?) just to grind a bit.  Any suggestion for what level my characters should be at for the final dungeon/boss?

If you're a grizzled RPG veteran, Level 20 will do; if you just want to be able to sort of fumble your way through it with not too much resistance, high 20's with your powerful party should be a piece of cake...

15 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If you're a grizzled RPG veteran, Level 20 will do; if you just want to be able to sort of fumble your way through it with not too much resistance, high 20's with your powerful party should be a piece of cake...

He won't have a white wizard, though -- don't think I've ever tried beating that game without one since I like having the life spells.

25 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

He won't have a white wizard, though -- don't think I've ever tried beating that game without one since I like having the life spells.

Red Wizard gets LIFE at level 15 😉  In fact, the only real usefull spells the White Wizard gets that the Red Wizard can't are all at such high levels that you're pretty much going to be done the game before you get to them anyway.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Red Wizard gets LIFE at level 15 😉  In fact, the only real usefull spells the White Wizard gets that the Red Wizard can't are all at such high levels that you're pretty much going to be done the game before you get to them anyway.

Been a long time since I played it, but I thought there were upgraded LIFE spells that only the White Wizard could get.

Today we were playing The Munchables for Wii. This is one of the craziest games I've come across is quite some time! You are this cute little monster in a bright and colorful world that eats endless amounts of vegetables that spawn from pastel piles of poop(dead serious). The plot of the game is that vegetable space pirates have stolen these magic poop orbs to give themselves evil magical powers. The only way to get the poop orbs back is to eat the pirates one by one until you level up enough to eat bigger pirates! The gameplay is your typical hack and slash type game, nothing spectacular. Smash some buttons, jump over a couple obstacles, smash more buttons, you know the drill. But the visuals themselves are addicting. Maybe I haven't played enough video games, but I can't stop looking at this madness. Not since Katamari Damacy have I come across such a fun, bright, colorful, yet completely bizarre world. I recommend for curiosity's sake. If you want some insane visuals with some simple mind numbing action, this is the game for you. 

16153419319108945995076419944474.jpg

Edited by Kguillemette
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

Been a long time since I played it, but I thought there were upgraded LIFE spells that only the White Wizard could get.

LIF2 is White Wizard only and it brings a character back to life with full health.  But it's a Level 8 spell, so your White Wizard will have to be leveled up into his thirties before you'll have any more than one or two of these spell charges to work with, and like I said, by that point 99% of people have already beaten the game...

7 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

LIF2 is White Wizard only and it brings a character back to life with full health.  But it's a Level 8 spell, so your White Wizard will have to be leveled up into his thirties before you'll have any more than one or two of these spell charges to work with, and like I said, by that point 99% of people have already beaten the game...

You get your first Level 8 spells at Level 25 (if the guide I'm checking is to be believed)

Like I said, been awhile since I played it, but I've never, ever, leveled up to 30, and I've definitely had casters with Level 8 magic.

To each his own, but playing a game like FF, I like collecting the "stuff", which magic spells make up the majority of, so I just don't get my fix with a single red magic user 😛

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

You get your first Level 8 spells at Level 25 (if the guide I'm checking is to be believed)

Like I said, been awhile since I played it, but I've never, ever, leveled up to 30, and I've definitely had casters with Level 8 magic.

Yeah, I know when you get LIF2, but I was saying you'd only have one or two charges of level 8 spells until your White Wizard is into his thirties and ends up with a whole bunch of charges to work with.  Since the game has no MP, a level 25 Wizard is literally walking around with one LIF2 to use, afterwhich he can't use the spell again until you rest at an Inn or use a house outside.  But I do understand what you're saying...

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, I know when you get LIF2, but I was saying you'd only have one or two charges of level 8 spells until your White Wizard is into his thirties and ends up with a whole bunch of charges to work with.  Since the game has no MP, a level 25 Wizard is literally walking around with one LIF2 to use, afterwhich he can't use the spell again until you rest at an Inn or use a house outside.  But I do understand what you're saying...

1 or 2 charges of LIF2 is still a substantial difference in the battle with Chaos and the revisit of the Fiends, IMO.

But I also never had the patience to spam buying health potions in the original NES release, so I think I spent a lot more time in the temple of fiends revisited with less than full health than I would if I was playing the PS1 re-release (where mass-buying was included as a convenience feature).

Having the risk of dying earlier in a given fight (or just being unlucky with an insta-kill spell) would put me in the position of wanting at least 1 shot of a full revive to even the odds.

But honestly -- my preference for the White and Black wizards comes down more on the side of "completionism"/"collecting" since I probably read the NES Strategy Guide for the game cover-to-cover on a regular basis for a couple of YEARS before ever buying the game 😛 -- just felt like a huge waste for those spells to exist in-game and never have any of them!

10 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

1 or 2 charges of LIF2 is still a substantial difference in the battle with Chaos and the revisit of the Fiends, IMO.

It can make a difference heading into the battle with Chaos, but in the original NES FF, there is no way to resurrect dead allies while in a battle.

All of this is moot though, since Sumer's using three Fighters and a Red Mage, which is the second most potent beginner's party you can have, behind only two fighters and two red mages; you'd tear the game apart with that party no matter who you are...

10 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It can make a difference heading into the battle with Chaos, but in the original NES FF, there is no way to resurrect dead allies while in a battle.

All of this is moot though, since Sumer's using three Fighters and a Red Mage, which is the second most potent beginner's party you can have, behind only two fighters and two red mages; you'd tear the game apart with that party no matter who you are...

Really?  I thought LIF and LIF2 worked during a fight.

Like I said, it's been a good long time since I've played through it -- so I could well have a faulty memory on that aspect.

I've never played through with such a fighter-heavy party -- might try it sometime.

26 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Really?  I thought LIF and LIF2 worked during a fight.

Like I said, it's been a good long time since I've played through it -- so I could well have a faulty memory on that aspect.

I've never played through with such a fighter-heavy party -- might try it sometime.

Not only that, but Soft doesn't work in battle either, so if a guy gets turned into stone or killed in a fight, he is capital D - DONE until the end of the battle.

And yeah, you should play it again some time; I play it through at least once a year and always have a good time with it.  Just don't forget how unforgiving it is in pretty much every concievable way 😉

On 3/9/2021 at 8:59 PM, Kguillemette said:

Today we were playing The Munchables for Wii. This is one of the craziest games I've come across is quite some time! You are this cute little monster in a bright and colorful world that eats endless amounts of vegetables that spawn from pastel piles of poop(dead serious). The plot of the game is that vegetable space pirates have stolen these magic poop orbs to give themselves evil magical powers. The only way to get the poop orbs back is to eat the pirates one by one until you level up enough to eat bigger pirates! The gameplay is your typical hack and slash type game, nothing spectacular. Smash some buttons, jump over a couple obstacles, smash more buttons, you know the drill. But the visuals themselves are addicting. Maybe I haven't played enough video games, but I can't stop looking at this madness. Not since Katamari Damacy have I come across such a fun, bright, colorful, yet completely bizarre world. I recommend for curiosity's sake. If you want some insane visuals with some simple mind numbing action, this is the game for you. 

16153419319108945995076419944474.jpg

Some crazy boss fight against a bunch of evil grapes!

20210310_213138_HDR.jpg

• Wow! 1

On 3/10/2021 at 8:48 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

D'oh!

Administrator · Posted

Started up Maid of Sker last night before bed. Not really scary at all, but I do enjoy a little bit of puzzle and exploration horror, so I'm getting what I expected. It's very video game-y, so some atmosphere is lost for that. The opening had some gorgeous scenery, then they made it dark and night time and stuck me in a house and that all went away lol.