IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

MemberPosted
20 minutes ago, avatar! said:

So, explain how the "All monsters are super strong" behave? Does it make the challenge similar to DQ VIII, VII? I loved both 馃檪 As long as it's not actually frustrating I think that sounds good.

I'm not sure about the exact same differences, but I think it really just increases the damage output of every enemy in the game.

The result is that you're constantly fighting a battle just to keep your feet on the ground though, and it really makes a difference. There is a lot of random things in a fight which can often work against your favor, like skills that will just straight up kill a characters at full health, etc. But that is also why your characters, as a team, has skills to deal with that.
You will be reviving characters, buffing different aspects of them, and even switching out your active ones several times throughout the battle, and occasionally you will need to go back and prepare equipment to deal with some of the worst things a boss can do to you. Pretty much every single tool in your arsenal needs to be applied in order to stand your ground, which IMO is a lot more fun than having a lot of skills that you'll never need to use.
So in a boss fight, it feels like there's a constantly tipping scale of which side has the favor. Some times you need the full team to get everyone back into fighting shape, which might give the boss a chance to just knock you back down in the next round, but if you play smart enough you can win enough actions to give your characters the聽advantage you need to put the pressure on that boss for the next round instead聽(often using a variety of buffs). You'll need to take chances every now and then too, which might feel unfair, but also creates a lot of exciting tension.

I don't think it's really comparable to 7 and 8, as those games focus more on just getting your characters strong enough to survive encounters, and the combat system doesn't feel as streamlined in those games.
The combat system is "basically" the same, but in 11 they skimmed all the fat, making sure everything you can do has a purpose (unlike 7 where you have 40 different variations of "do damage to the opponent"). You also get some really useful tools in the battles that are completely necessary to pay attention to on the higher difficulty level.
For example the game will always show you how buffed or debuffed a character or enemy is in any particular stat,聽they always range from -2 to +2 at most, and it shows you when it is about to run out. And unlike the earlier DQ games, you get to pick a character's action only when it is their turn, rather than picking everyone in advance, which makes the game more tactical and less based on chance. Everyone still attacks once per round, though, so you need to pay attention to the marking around each character's face in the UI which tells you if they have had their turn yet. It is surprisingly important to stay aware of when a new round has started, especially when you start switching out characters, since the new character will never be able to act on the same round.

Edited by Sumez
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished playing through Willow on the NES. Last time I played this was in 2003, so it was long overdue to be played through again. Like Crystalis which I played through last year it was very enj

馃槀 York for Smash

I'd also recommend the book Racing The Beam, as there's a full chapter on the development of Yar's Revenge that's really interesting stuff.

Posted Images

I dug a bit more into The Medium on XSX. It's a very cool game which is genuinely creepy at times (sadly it also has some cheap jump scares). At its heart, it's basically a walking simulator with light adventure/action/stealth elements, but some of the design choices elevate it above the standard fair. The Giger-inspired Spirit Realm is fantastic and the split screen stuff creates some cool tension. Also, the voice work, sound design, and music are all top notch.

Definitely not for everyone, but I love this type of B-movie, mid-budget game with a lot of heart.

1 hour ago, Sumer said:

Played SFII: World Warrior cabinet in my basement arcade this weekend. 聽In honor of 30 years of the game this month! 聽馃槃聽 I have it in a Dynamo cab with reproduction bezel, marquee, and CPO artwork/decals.

Wow! Has it been 30 years already? I still vividly remember the very first time I saw World Warrior at the local arcade. It was a whole new genre of game that I had never even heard of before. Blew. My. Mind.

• Like 1
MemberPosted
20 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Wow! Has it been 30 years already? I still vividly remember the very first time I saw World Warrior at the local arcade. It was a whole new genre of game that I had never even heard of before. Blew. My. Mind.

Yep, 30 years last weekend (the 6th). 聽I also vividly have those same memories at my local Aladdin's Castle. 聽First week, no one knew what to make of the game, but we're having fun. 聽Second week, a small crowd of the "regulars" start getting a hang of the game and get to the four "bosses/masters." 聽Third week, the Aladdin's operator had to place an auxiliary monitor on top of the machine, as crowds had started coming into the arcade to see what the hell this thing was and there were crowds 10 people deep trying to get a glimpse. 聽

Frickin' phenomenal memories of the arcade machine. 聽The main reason I wanted a World Warrior and NOT Turbo or Super (I was considering Champion, but the PCB for World Warrior is so cheap compared to that one) were those memories. 聽SFII, though not reaching the heights of the Golden Age arcade scene, definitely saved my local scene and brought a "renaissance" to the arcade.

• Like 3
MemberPosted

Wrapped up Portal last night (I forgot how short the original game is).聽 Of course it's got me wanting more Portal, so I think I'll start out the sequel again tonight.聽 Similar to the first game, it's been so long since I've played it that I'm guessing most of the puzzles will fee new again, which is fun.聽聽

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Wrapped up Portal last night (I forgot how short the original game is).聽 Of course it's got me wanting more Portal, so I think I'll start out the sequel again tonight.聽 Similar to the first game, it's been so long since I've played it that I'm guessing most of the puzzles will fee new again, which is fun.聽聽

Did you figure out any of the super quick solutions? There are a couple puzzles which have alternate methods that the developers didn't intend, but were so clever that they left them in. The commentary for that game is great.

MemberPosted
35 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Did you figure out any of the super quick solutions? There are a couple puzzles which have alternate methods that the developers didn't intend, but were so clever that they left them in. The commentary for that game is great.

I doubt it considering that was only my second ever playthrough of the game.聽聽

Apparently, the entire game can be completed with only 15 portals.聽聽

• Wow! 1
2 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I just unwrapped the Atooi Collection for 3DS and I'm playing through Mutant Mudds, it's a very solid old school聽platformer. I checked out the other games on the cart and decided to go for Mutant Mudds first.

I really liked Mutant Mudds...especially after nabbing it on sale for like $2. It's a solid, little game, although the difficulty of some of the later stages gets kind of annoying.

11 hours ago, hardstyletoaster said:

Have you played yars revenge on the Gameboy? Any similarities?

From what little I've played of the Game Boy (Color) version, it (at least the first level, anyway) appears to be a port of the classic, although I find it rather unplayable because of the zoomed-in perspective making it difficult to see attacks coming and the twitchy movement controls making it difficult to properly maneuver. And believe it or not, the port actually has worse sound聽than the original...and we're talking about Atari, here!

While the game design seems to be the same, by every indication I would caution people away from the GBC port. Play the original on an emulator or real Atari instead. It's a pretty fun game for what it is.

Edit: Also, if you've never seen it, there was a companion comic for Yars' Revenge which explained the backstory and context of the game. It's a pretty awesome little piece of video game nostalgia.

Yars' Revenge Comic

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

From what little I've played of the Game Boy (Color) version, it (at least the first level, anyway) appears to be a port of the classic, although I find it rather unplayable because of the zoomed-in perspective making it difficult to see attacks coming and the twitchy movement controls making it difficult to properly maneuver. And believe it or not, the port actually has worse sound聽than the original...and we're talking about Atari, here!

While the game design seems to be the same, by every indication I would caution people away from the GBC port. Play the original on an emulator or real Atari instead. It's a pretty fun game for what it is.

Edit: Also, if you've never seen it, there was a companion comic for Yars' Revenge which explained the backstory and context of the game. It's a pretty awesome little piece of video game nostalgia.

Yars' Revenge Comic

I'd also recommend the book Racing The Beam, as there's a full chapter on the development of Yar's Revenge that's really interesting stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
MemberPosted
23 hours ago, hardstyletoaster said:

Have you played yars revenge on the Gameboy? Any similarities?

Gameboy took the concept and ruined it by not letting you see the whole playfield at once.

Here's the original if you want to try it:聽http://www.virtualatari.org/soft.php?soft=Yars_Revenge

Edited by G-type
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, croagunk said:

I鈥檓 currently playing a mix of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser鈥檚 Fury on the Switch. I can鈥檛 wait for the new update on Animal Crossing in a few days. Super excited to decorate my island with Mario items!

Just started Super Mario 3D World with my son. We only had time for a couple levels but it seems like it should be a lot of fun. I liked 3D Land, but really wished it was playable on the big screen so this definitely scratches that itch.

• Like 1
MemberPosted

Played through Solomon's Key 2, had to see what it was all about since people love it so much. Though the first Solomon's Key never clicked with me at all, despite being probably even more popular, this one is a completely different kind of game.

received_229549555529907.jpeg

These kinds of contemplative puzzle games tend to stress me out, but the puzzles in this game are all short and simple enough that they never manage to wear me out in the same way something like Lolo 3 did. But on the other hand, the satisfaction of completing one of them also never manages to approach the same incredible聽feeling of extacy as that game does.

Graphics TeamPosted
2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Played through Solomon's Key 2, had to see what it was all about since people love it so much. Though the first Solomon's Key never clicked with me at all, despite being probably even more popular, this one is a completely different kind of game.

received_229549555529907.jpeg

These kinds of contemplative puzzle games tend to stress me out, but the puzzles in this game are all short and simple enough that they never manage to wear me out in the same way something like Lolo 3 did. But on the other hand, the satisfaction of completing one of them also never manages to approach the same incredible聽feeling of extacy as that game does.

Heck yeah! Solomon's Key 2!

Best enjoyed in short bursts, though, so you don't get that stress-burnout like you mentioned haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 1