IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

1 hour ago, Sumer said:

Played SFII: World Warrior cabinet in my basement arcade this weekend.  In honor of 30 years of the game this month!  😄  I have it in a Dynamo cab with reproduction bezel, marquee, and CPO artwork/decals.

Wow! Has it been 30 years already? I still vividly remember the very first time I saw World Warrior at the local arcade. It was a whole new genre of game that I had never even heard of before. Blew. My. Mind.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Wow! Has it been 30 years already? I still vividly remember the very first time I saw World Warrior at the local arcade. It was a whole new genre of game that I had never even heard of before. Blew. My. Mind.

Yep, 30 years last weekend (the 6th).  I also vividly have those same memories at my local Aladdin's Castle.  First week, no one knew what to make of the game, but we're having fun.  Second week, a small crowd of the "regulars" start getting a hang of the game and get to the four "bosses/masters."  Third week, the Aladdin's operator had to place an auxiliary monitor on top of the machine, as crowds had started coming into the arcade to see what the hell this thing was and there were crowds 10 people deep trying to get a glimpse.  

Frickin' phenomenal memories of the arcade machine.  The main reason I wanted a World Warrior and NOT Turbo or Super (I was considering Champion, but the PCB for World Warrior is so cheap compared to that one) were those memories.  SFII, though not reaching the heights of the Golden Age arcade scene, definitely saved my local scene and brought a "renaissance" to the arcade.

• Like 3

Wrapped up Portal last night (I forgot how short the original game is).  Of course it's got me wanting more Portal, so I think I'll start out the sequel again tonight.  Similar to the first game, it's been so long since I've played it that I'm guessing most of the puzzles will fee new again, which is fun.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Wrapped up Portal last night (I forgot how short the original game is).  Of course it's got me wanting more Portal, so I think I'll start out the sequel again tonight.  Similar to the first game, it's been so long since I've played it that I'm guessing most of the puzzles will fee new again, which is fun.  

Did you figure out any of the super quick solutions? There are a couple puzzles which have alternate methods that the developers didn't intend, but were so clever that they left them in. The commentary for that game is great.

35 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Did you figure out any of the super quick solutions? There are a couple puzzles which have alternate methods that the developers didn't intend, but were so clever that they left them in. The commentary for that game is great.

I doubt it considering that was only my second ever playthrough of the game.  

Apparently, the entire game can be completed with only 15 portals.  

• Wow! 1

2 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I just unwrapped the Atooi Collection for 3DS and I'm playing through Mutant Mudds, it's a very solid old school platformer. I checked out the other games on the cart and decided to go for Mutant Mudds first.

I really liked Mutant Mudds...especially after nabbing it on sale for like $2. It's a solid, little game, although the difficulty of some of the later stages gets kind of annoying.

11 hours ago, hardstyletoaster said:

Have you played yars revenge on the Gameboy? Any similarities?

From what little I've played of the Game Boy (Color) version, it (at least the first level, anyway) appears to be a port of the classic, although I find it rather unplayable because of the zoomed-in perspective making it difficult to see attacks coming and the twitchy movement controls making it difficult to properly maneuver. And believe it or not, the port actually has worse sound than the original...and we're talking about Atari, here!

While the game design seems to be the same, by every indication I would caution people away from the GBC port. Play the original on an emulator or real Atari instead. It's a pretty fun game for what it is.

Edit: Also, if you've never seen it, there was a companion comic for Yars' Revenge which explained the backstory and context of the game. It's a pretty awesome little piece of video game nostalgia.

Yars' Revenge Comic

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

From what little I've played of the Game Boy (Color) version, it (at least the first level, anyway) appears to be a port of the classic, although I find it rather unplayable because of the zoomed-in perspective making it difficult to see attacks coming and the twitchy movement controls making it difficult to properly maneuver. And believe it or not, the port actually has worse sound than the original...and we're talking about Atari, here!

While the game design seems to be the same, by every indication I would caution people away from the GBC port. Play the original on an emulator or real Atari instead. It's a pretty fun game for what it is.

Edit: Also, if you've never seen it, there was a companion comic for Yars' Revenge which explained the backstory and context of the game. It's a pretty awesome little piece of video game nostalgia.

Yars' Revenge Comic

I'd also recommend the book Racing The Beam, as there's a full chapter on the development of Yar's Revenge that's really interesting stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, hardstyletoaster said:

Have you played yars revenge on the Gameboy? Any similarities?

Gameboy took the concept and ruined it by not letting you see the whole playfield at once.

Here's the original if you want to try it: http://www.virtualatari.org/soft.php?soft=Yars_Revenge

Edited by G-type
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, croagunk said:

I’m currently playing a mix of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury on the Switch. I can’t wait for the new update on Animal Crossing in a few days. Super excited to decorate my island with Mario items!

Just started Super Mario 3D World with my son. We only had time for a couple levels but it seems like it should be a lot of fun. I liked 3D Land, but really wished it was playable on the big screen so this definitely scratches that itch.

• Like 1

Played through Solomon's Key 2, had to see what it was all about since people love it so much. Though the first Solomon's Key never clicked with me at all, despite being probably even more popular, this one is a completely different kind of game.

received_229549555529907.jpeg

These kinds of contemplative puzzle games tend to stress me out, but the puzzles in this game are all short and simple enough that they never manage to wear me out in the same way something like Lolo 3 did. But on the other hand, the satisfaction of completing one of them also never manages to approach the same incredible feeling of extacy as that game does.

Graphics Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Played through Solomon's Key 2, had to see what it was all about since people love it so much. Though the first Solomon's Key never clicked with me at all, despite being probably even more popular, this one is a completely different kind of game.

received_229549555529907.jpeg

These kinds of contemplative puzzle games tend to stress me out, but the puzzles in this game are all short and simple enough that they never manage to wear me out in the same way something like Lolo 3 did. But on the other hand, the satisfaction of completing one of them also never manages to approach the same incredible feeling of extacy as that game does.

Heck yeah! Solomon's Key 2!

Best enjoyed in short bursts, though, so you don't get that stress-burnout like you mentioned haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Best enjoyed in short bursts, though, so you don't get that stress-burnout like you mentioned haha.

Oh haha, I think I played through it in three sessions across two days. The first 50 stages go by super fast. I don't think it really managed to stress me out in any point because outside of maybe one or two stages in the final castle, I didn't spend more than 5-10 minutes on any single puzzle.

Well, like I said, I think it's just that I've been schooled by Lolo 3 where a single puzzle would often take me well over an hour to figure out! So finally completing one would result in absolute joy, only to be immediately replaced by a massive feeling of dread as you move on to the next room and have absolutely no impression of how anything in it works yet. Solomon's Key 2 allows you to approach everything in a much more segmented manner, because even each individual section of one room only has room for so many different actions. 🙂 

• Like 2