IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

I'm having an absolute blast with Deadly Premonition 2.

It's such a baffling game. I don't think I could realistically recommend it to anyone. Even if you really liked the original, the absurdly inane pacing of this one is very likely to turn everyone off.
I'd spent 35 hours faffing around town doing side quests and exploring all sorts of corners before I encountered the game's first actual combat-oriented scene. Every single dialogue in the game, including random NPC chatter, goes on for minutes at least, but don't be surprised if some scene waste upwards of half an hour talking about all sorts of things that have absolutely zero relevance to the plot of the game. Ever y o n e   t a k e s   t h e i r    t i m e .  .    .

It's insane that this game exists.

Deadly Premonition 2 review - Polygon

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm having an absolute blast with Deadly Premonition 2.

It's such a baffling game. I don't think I could realistically recommend it to anyone. Even if you really liked the original, the absurdly inane pacing of this one is very likely to turn everyone off.
I'd spent 35 hours faffing around town doing side quests and exploring all sorts of corners before I encountered the game's first actual combat-oriented scene. Every single dialogue in the game, including random NPC chatter, goes on for minutes at least, but don't be surprised if some scene waste upwards of half an hour talking about all sorts of things that have absolutely zero relevance to the plot of the game. Ever y o n e   t a k e s   t h e i r    t i m e .  .    .

It's insane that this game exists.

How exactly would you recommend someone play the first Deadly Premonition? It's open world isn't it? Is it best to just explore the environment or what? I've heard it's.... quirky.

On 10/30/2020 at 6:40 PM, avatar! said:

How exactly would you recommend someone play the first Deadly Premonition? It's open world isn't it? Is it best to just explore the environment or what? I've heard it's.... quirky.

Honestly, I'd recommend the first Deadly Premonition to almost anyone. It's just so much fun.

It's quirky for sure, but while it's gotten a reputation as one of those "so bad it's good games", I think it's genuinely good. And the weirdness seems very deliberate, but also flows so naturally it makes you think Swery just doesn't understand how the real world works, so I can understand why you'd think it's just "bad".

The sequel definitely ramps up that latter part. The balance of how you're using your time in the game is just off the rails, and feels like it's designed around being something entirely different than what it is (and definitely something much bigger). It feels like the game has absolutely no respect for the player's time, and it's hard to tell if it's intentionally taking the piss on you, or just poorly designed.
All the characters act like what you'd imagine someone severely autistic thinks people are like, and the way the story evolves is incredibly 
But at the same time the game seems aware of this, and makes backhanded comments about these things, and actually has at least a couple of at least somewhat coherent characters that are able to point out how nothing makes sense. Both games seems to hint very strongly that most of the oddities you experience are basically a result of the main character just being completely messed up in his head.

The original game has all of that, but is ultimately much better paced. At least in my experience it hooks you immediately with it weirdness, and drops you into the open world area almost immediately. Like, someone actually acted as a producer and told Swery "hey, you can't do it like this, you have to make people actually have fun in this game, how about you get to shoot some stuff every now and then?".
Meanwhile, the sequel has you sit through more than an hour of dialogue before you can even control your character.

Either way, you shouldn't play Deadly Premonition 2 before you've played the first. The stories are directly related, and takes place both before and after the incident in the first game.

Regarding the open world, that part is pretty interesting. Both games feature a pretty huge town that you can explore freely at any time.
There is very little to do in either of them, but if you take the time to move around, there are still a lot of tiny details that add a lot of character and reveals little things about the story. Either based on simply the layout of the areas and things you might find in the backyard of some character's house, or through the fact that every character in the games actually exists at some place in the town at all times, and will always be doing something, either interacting with other characters or visiting establishments, driving around, or just sitting at their homes.
Some times you'll be able to notice unique patterns to their behavior which foreshadows story developments, or witness events or small bits of dialogue you wouldn't otherwise. But most of the time it's just another quirky asset of the game.

Edited by Sumez

I picked up Link's Awakening on the Switch recently. It's good... though I feel like it is just a prettier looking Game Boy game with some polish (for the record I never played through a lot, never owned it personally til now. Was only borrowing a friends copy back in school on long bus trips or what have you)

Regardless it's fun albeit simple and straightforward compared to most other Zelda games

I'm making an effort to get all the way through Super Mario Sunshine for the first time ever. I've always admired the game but back in my Gamecube days, Sunshine ended up taking a back seat to Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Wind Waker and about a half dozen other amazing titles that I had available to me. It's obvious to me that Sunshine was intended as an experiment and the gimmick does kind of get in the way at times but it's starting to grow on me the more I play it.

• 3 weeks later...

Grim Dawn. Everything about this game is so "fine", like not exceptional, but not mediocre. It's not as deep, satisfying, or polished as a Path of Exile and it doesn't have the amazing art and personality of a Diablo II. I guess it's a game for people who want something more complex than Diablo III but not as insane, fast, or grindy as Path of Exile, so it fulfils a niche. Maybe I'm just not in that niche. I'm a POE kind of guy.

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe was $35 at Best Buy for Black Friday and I really couldn’t pass that up so I’m currently playing through that. I’m enjoying it a lot. Either I’m just bad at Mario games, or it’s got more challenge in it than others in the NSMB series.

14 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe was $35 at Best Buy for Black Friday and I really couldn’t pass that up so I’m currently playing through that. I’m enjoying it a lot. Either I’m just bad at Mario games, or it’s got more challenge in it than others in the NSMB series.

I believe I've played all the NSMB games and I'm pretty sure it is the hardest one, especially if you're trying to 100% without a guide. The Luigi levels are actually even tougher. Honestly, I'm a little burned out on that series since it has changed very little since its inception. I'm glad Nintendo has given it a bit of a break.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I believe I've played all the NSMB games and I'm pretty sure it is the hardest one, especially if you're trying to 100% without a guide. The Luigi levels are actually even tougher. Honestly, I'm a little burned out on that series since it has changed very little since its inception. I'm glad Nintendo has given it a bit of a break.

I haven’t played a NSMB since the original DS one. I skipped the Wii title and didn’t play this one on Wii U so it’s been awhile for me. And yet I’m still already burnt out on the soundtrack...

49 minutes ago, Amermoe said:

Shining Force II for the genesis. Was playing Phantasy Star III right before, managed to beat it a few weeks ago.

Next on my list is Super Mario RPG! Never got around to playing it, super looking forward to it.

Granted it's been a long time, but if memory serves, everything about Shining Force II was fabulous!

Phantasy Star III had lovely music and a cool plot, but is ultimately forgettable. PS IV was amazing on the other hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amermoe said:

Next on my list is Super Mario RPG! Never got around to playing it, super looking forward to it.

Ooh! I just finished another playthrough of Mario RPG a couple months ago. I've been a fan of it since it first released but I hadn't really played through it in several years. Such a fun, charming game. It's pretty easy, as RPGs go, so don't expect to burn your brain on it or anything but the story is fun, the graphics and music are beautiful and the whole thing is such a unique experience. Hopefully you'll enjoy it!

• Thanks 1

Just played and beat Micro Mages. Considering the self-imposed 40kB limit of the game, it's a charming little title and it was definitely worth a playthrough. The first part is pretty easy but they definitely introduce a bit more challenge at the end. It's the right kind of challenge though. When you die, you know that it's your own fault.

Edited by Webhead123