IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

13 minutes ago, Estil said:

Oh I remember sometime in the early 90s watching a group of four(?) players playing to the very end (and I was hoping they did have enough quarters!) because of course I wanted to see what the end looked like!  This was back in the Dark Ages was when the only way you could see a game's ending (or even the game at all!) was to play the game and beat it.  Couldn't just download a playthrough/ending video on YT in those days!

Exact same thing happened to me as a kid.  I remember watching an older kid play the game and he seemed to have an endless supply of quarters and seeing him play Mr. Burns was crazy for me at that age because I could never comprehend getting to the end of any arcade game.  I'm lucky enough to have the digital version of this game on my PS3, but haven't played it in a long time.  

It's definitely the type of game that is helped by nostalgia.  Playing it as an adult on the PS3 was not nearly as fun as I remember as a kid, but the memories help.  When it first came out in arcades, the fact that it was The Simpsons, and a beat'em up meant it was going to be fun no matter what it was.  

4 hours ago, cartman said:

The game doesn't seem like all that to me maybe it's the semi-wonky hitbox mechanics or that enemies get knocked down by just one hit. It feels easy and unengaging.

Then why did it take so many quarters from that group of four to beat it? 😛   I must say for both that game and TMNT they sure do give you rather small health bars but at least you get unlimited continues (for an extra quarter)...I wonder why that is... 😄 

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

It's definitely the type of game that is helped by nostalgia.  Playing it as an adult on the PS3 was not nearly as fun as I remember as a kid, but the memories help.  When it first came out in arcades, the fact that it was The Simpsons, and a beat'em up meant it was going to be fun no matter what it was.  

From memory, we always gravitated toward the multiplayer beat-em-ups at the arcade. If there was a  Simpson's, X-men, Turtles, or Capt. America and the Avengers cab we were going to play it. Not sure why they were so appealing, but most arcades seemed to have atleast one. I'm smiling right now just thinking of all the different places we played them.

8 hours ago, Redmond said:

I haven't played Hybrid Heaven since it originally came out, but I remember it had some pretty innovative stuff going on.  Given how RPG-starved the N64 is, it's surprising that Hybrid Heaven is still so overlooked ( especially when you have middling to bad RPGs like Quest 64 that still have a decent reputation, granted Quest is probably a bit more accessible ).  Aidyn Chronicles, technical issues aside, is also another forgotten RPG worth checking out.

The Castlevanias for the 64 are great.  They do a good job of blending different action/adventure/survival horror elements.  I think it's only in recent years, largely due to the AVGN review, that people have soured on CV64.  Well, that and the obvious criticism of not being exactly like the 2D games ( it does lean more towards the slower, exploration side of things at times ).

I was amazed by the 5 minute movie intro. I haven't seen the a game do that growing up. I was imagining how even more mind blowing the N64 for would've been for me if Hybrid Heaven was my first game with it. I've played some Quest64, I find it repetitive hence why I haven't finished yet. Thanks for the suggestion on the game. I will start looking for it! Im looking forward to the blend of genre in CV

8 hours ago, Estil said:

Then why did it take so many quarters from that group of four to beat it? 😛   I must say for both that game and TMNT they sure do give you rather small health bars but at least you get unlimited continues (for an extra quarter)...I wonder why that is... 😄 

Because they sucked!

Actually i haven't beaten it myself but when i do die it feels more do to sloppyness than anything else. All the enemies are pretty much the same shit even when they look different. Maybe the game will pick up steem later i'll see. 

17 hours ago, Redmond said:

I haven't played Hybrid Heaven since it originally came out, but I remember it had some pretty innovative stuff going on.  Given how RPG-starved the N64 is, it's surprising that Hybrid Heaven is still so overlooked ( especially when you have middling to bad RPGs like Quest 64 that still have a decent reputation, granted Quest is probably a bit more accessible ).  Aidyn Chronicles, technical issues aside, is also another forgotten RPG worth checking out.

The Castlevanias for the 64 are great.  They do a good job of blending different action/adventure/survival horror elements.  I think it's only in recent years, largely due to the AVGN review, that people have soured on CV64.  Well, that and the obvious criticism of not being exactly like the 2D games ( it does lean more towards the slower, exploration side of things at times ).

After playing through Aidyn Chronicles a few years back. The only real complaint I have about the game is of the battles. When extra enemies spawn in, they will mostly spawn at the complete opposite side of the battle zone. Causing you to spend more time getting to the newly spawned enemies, than it takes you to actually fight them. Since you have limited movement per turn. In battles you spend most of your time moving into an attack position. 

Edited by themisfit138

3 hours ago, cartman said:

Because they sucked!

Actually i haven't beaten it myself but when i do die it feels more do to sloppyness than anything else. All the enemies are pretty much the same shit even when they look different. Maybe the game will pick up steem later i'll see. 

I'm not sure how far you got, but the later bosses are designed to eat quarters and Mr. Burns has a ton of "forms."

11 hours ago, Californication said:

From memory, we always gravitated toward the multiplayer beat-em-ups at the arcade. If there was a  Simpson's, X-men, Turtles, or Capt. America and the Avengers cab we were going to play it. Not sure why they were so appealing, but most arcades seemed to have atleast one. I'm smiling right now just thinking of all the different places we played them.

There was something about that style of game that just worked really well for an arcade.  Those types of games are usually really fun even in short spurts.  So if you only a quarter or two, and you only play for 5 minutes, you are still probably going to have fun.  Throw a well known franchise in the mix (Simpsons, TMNT, X-Men, ect.) and my childhood self will be attracted to that cabinet every time he sees it.  

On 9/15/2020 at 8:49 PM, cartman said:

I don't know how to get DOS and the games running a bunch of technical fuckery. But the Arcade has 2 lifebars i only on with 1 coin.

Well seeing as people love to call it so called 'abandonware' all you'd really need to do is use one of those websites, most of them will already set it up with DOSBox already with it so it could just come down to mindlessly clicking on an icon and the game starting right up.  I have the actual game boxed up so I just ran it by firing up dosbox, then pretending it was the dos days just copied the data from the floppy to the computer and just ran it by typing SIMSPONS and it worked.  It's not a pissy bitch like some games so it didn't take any actual work to run right.

On 9/17/2020 at 4:22 PM, TDIRunner said:

I'm not sure how far you got, but the later bosses are designed to eat quarters and Mr. Burns has a ton of "forms."

I came to that tavern so yeah perhaps. But I've had that happen before where a game seems fair but then you reach a boss and bullshit starts occurring with unavoidable damage that you have to take, lose and plunge in more credits. I hate that type of shit not because of the idea of losing money but because it compromises the very gameplay. 

On 9/17/2020 at 5:45 PM, Tanooki said:

Well seeing as people love to call it so called 'abandonware' all you'd really need to do is use one of those websites, most of them will already set it up with DOSBox already with it so it could just come down to mindlessly clicking on an icon and the game starting right up.  I have the actual game boxed up so I just ran it by firing up dosbox, then pretending it was the dos days just copied the data from the floppy to the computer and just ran it by typing SIMSPONS and it worked.  It's not a pissy bitch like some games so it didn't take any actual work to run right.

I'm surprised hearing this. I mean i probably have heard it was possible before but never game much thought to it and always held the notion that you're either gonna be buying an old computer and the games or fuck around with compability issues with DOSbox vs computer operating system and files missing, a whole bunch of bullshit that i have no knowledge about. 

But i found this site classicdosgames and to my the games actually work without any fuckery. Many classics too. Will be interesting getting into the stuff altough Simpsons specifically isn't there.

15 hours ago, cartman said:

I'm surprised hearing this. I mean i probably have heard it was possible before but never game much thought to it and always held the notion that you're either gonna be buying an old computer and the games or fuck around with compability issues with DOSbox vs computer operating system and files missing, a whole bunch of bullshit that i have no knowledge about. 

But i found this site classicdosgames and to my the games actually work without any fuckery. Many classics too. Will be interesting getting into the stuff altough Simpsons specifically isn't there.

Well there are sites with it, I saw it, but it was a matter of principle earlier this year to finally get one, had been waffling on it for awhile and it was going up and up with some fetching between 150-200 complete (which I didn't pay in or near that range thankfully.)  It was my first retail PC game I bought as a kid in 1991, played the hell out of it for years as it was hard to ever find the arcade game to mess with and it's good enough (quite really good enough by 1990 dos standards.)

I know when I ran it on here I used my USB floppy drive to actually truly install it to my computer within a DOS box environment to a DOS directory I setup to mount all sorts of DOS games.  So at this point I basically just go mount c c:\dosgames(or whatever you want) then that is your fake C:\ and you just run it from there.

But for you I'm surprised you didn't find it.  First hit I got was myabandonware dot com and they have it both to play in browser or to download and use.  It's a big fat 1.1MB download, takes forever for sure.  Such huge files using up an entire disk!

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well there are sites with it, I saw it, but it was a matter of principle earlier this year to finally get one, had been waffling on it for awhile and it was going up and up with some fetching between 150-200 complete (which I didn't pay in or near that range thankfully.)  It was my first retail PC game I bought as a kid in 1991, played the hell out of it for years as it was hard to ever find the arcade game to mess with and it's good enough (quite really good enough by 1990 dos standards.)

I know when I ran it on here I used my USB floppy drive to actually truly install it to my computer within a DOS box environment to a DOS directory I setup to mount all sorts of DOS games.  So at this point I basically just go mount c c:\dosgames(or whatever you want) then that is your fake C:\ and you just run it from there.

But for you I'm surprised you didn't find it.  First hit I got was myabandonware dot com and they have it both to play in browser or to download and use.  It's a big fat 1.1MB download, takes forever for sure.  Such huge files using up an entire disk!

Yeah there's an appeal in owning the game physical for sure but i'm not really connected to PC games like that to want it i think i only ever had 1 game so i'm fine with just playing.

But see that's the thing. That directory and setup shit is just complicated to me i'm sure it's no harder than a lot of the other shit i do regularly when using a computer but when you don't know the "language" it just doesn't matter that it's so simple.

Honestly i didn't look for it much either it was just one of those things i know is "out there" in some fashion. With MAME it was more of a concerted effort to get into.

16 hours ago, cartman said:

Yeah there's an appeal in owning the game physical for sure but i'm not really connected to PC games like that to want it i think i only ever had 1 game so i'm fine with just playing.

But see that's the thing. That directory and setup shit is just complicated to me i'm sure it's no harder than a lot of the other shit i do regularly when using a computer but when you don't know the "language" it just doesn't matter that it's so simple.

Honestly i didn't look for it much either it was just one of those things i know is "out there" in some fashion. With MAME it was more of a concerted effort to get into.

Yeah I get it.  I just really liked the arcade game and the PC version of it.  MAME since you brought it up, I used to use the bits that it turned into and it for years, but it got so political, so recklessly handled, so bloated I walked away from touching it probably 20 years now.  The massive size of the emulator itself sucks to grab, but the fact they set it up so you need this like 100GB colossal archive of files to load it out is disgusting.  I got turned off it big time back when they'd regularly by the days/weeks redo the file names, zip names, organization of stuff ruining entire sets in a push an dshove between its developers.

SO I do get it, that's why I mentioned the site where you can basically one click to play it perfectly in browser.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I get it.  I just really liked the arcade game and the PC version of it.  MAME since you brought it up, I used to use the bits that it turned into and it for years, but it got so political, so recklessly handled, so bloated I walked away from touching it probably 20 years now.  The massive size of the emulator itself sucks to grab, but the fact they set it up so you need this like 100GB colossal archive of files to load it out is disgusting.  I got turned off it big time back when they'd regularly by the days/weeks redo the file names, zip names, organization of stuff ruining entire sets in a push an dshove between its developers.

SO I do get it, that's why I mentioned the site where you can basically one click to play it perfectly in browser.

I don't really know how it got handled or what there is to be political about i've just found a software version that is functioning and it responds to a certain degree when it comes to the games, many have file parts missing and don't run. Like you said there's so many versions and compability issues wich is unfortunate.

Edited by cartman

On 9/21/2020 at 8:08 AM, cartman said:

I don't really know how it got handled or what there is to be political about i've just found a software version that is functioning and it responds to a certain degree when it comes to the games, many have file parts missing and don't run. Like you said there's so many versions and compability issues wich is unfortunate.

Well you get it in the short end of it, massive levels of particulars including screwed around with file names/directories to drive incompatibilities.  As far as politics go, I've forgotten more than I can remember but I had a front row seat to a lot of it.  Back in the mid 90s into the 00s I used to dwell on irc, efnet, #emu, #retrogamers, even stuff like #oldwarez using another name.  I helped with projects, was part of teams hexediting hacks into Japanese emulators to make them english to designing a 90s era doc on the NES header format over the years, to even doing rom releases/dumps myself.  I was around a lot of it, and in those spaces many of the original key designers and players who came together to form MAME from separate projects into one, and as it grew.  People would start fighting, taking sides, getting super polarized like the asinine level of fraud speak the US system shows now on a daily basis...it got nasty, people quit, started their own forks, sabotage the works.  MAME on the inside, was shit in personality, conflict, and ultimately the end result.  I got fed up and would use other tools that ran specific stuff (like Neo Rage X, Final Burn Alpha, etc) for certain boards, eras to avoid their crap.  Sadly their stains live on which is why retroarch is a damned nightmare to get arcade games needing a bios to run among other stuff.  Neo-Geo is just fubar on there unless you get the 100GB download with the so called proper files in it.

I've decided to put all PS4 games on hold until the PS5 drops, so I'm working on Xbox and Switch stuff. I just finished The Outer Worlds DLC, so I'm thinking maybe Alan Wake next to prepare me for the next gen version of Control.

Still chugging away at the new Paper Mario which I enjoy, but really can't play for more than at hour at a time due to the painful battle system. Once I wrap that up, I'm thinking Hollow Knight or maybe Luigi's Mansion 3.

Still sneaking some games of Apex Legends in here and there. I've almost dropped Rocket League completely since they made some horrible UI changes with the transition to free-to-play.

Edited by DoctorEncore