IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

On 9/14/2020 at 12:46 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

You should try the remake on Super Famicom - it's crazy good.

And speaking of Dragon Quests, I'm going through DQ VI again myself right now...

Good call, though I find due to the small allowances/compromises(?) being on a handheld kind of forced, I prefer DQ1+2 and DQ3 on the GBC releases most.  Bold re-doing all those original 6 games.  I really wish I still had #4 on my DS.  If I didn't find the digital pricing on the mobile so much I'd add 4 to my phone to pick away at like I did with #1.

2 hours ago, cartman said:

I was just playing Simpsons Arcade and died. Gonna be playing more later.

Want a real challenge, play the DOS version.  5 lives, earn another every 100 (200?) points and NO continues.  It's not easy but fun, also nowhere near as pretty looking either as it's a 1991 DOS game, but it's fun.

Playing Ghost's and Goblins and Ghoul's N' Ghosts on the PS1

I can't get past the first level on either game on the default difficulty. I thought I knew what this game was from the NES, Snes, and Sega and I had no idea. This is brutal.

Edit: Ghost's and Goblins isn't as bad as I thought. The port of the Sega game is super difficult though.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Want a real challenge, play the DOS version.  5 lives, earn another every 100 (200?) points and NO continues.  It's not easy but fun, also nowhere near as pretty looking either as it's a 1991 DOS game, but it's fun.

I don't know how to get DOS and the games running a bunch of technical fuckery. But the Arcade has 2 lifebars i only on with 1 coin.

4 hours ago, Californication said:

Playing Ghost's and Goblins and Ghoul's N' Ghosts on the PS1

I can't get past the first level on either game on the default difficulty. I thought I knew what this game was from the NES, Snes, and Sega and I had no idea. This is brutal.

Edit: Ghost's and Goblins isn't as bad as I thought. The port of the Sega game is super difficult though.

I find the NES version a lot tougher than arcade Ghosts 'n Goblins. That said, the first couple of stages are just about learning the ropes. Stage 5 is where the game gets tough!

Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a lot easier though. It's still challenging of course, as it's an arcade game ("port of the Sega game"??), but I think one thing that'll definitely earn it a bit of a reputation is that it doesn't really have the traditional difficulty ramp - the first stage is just as hard as the later ones.
In fact, the easiest stage might even be the final one. You'll die there a lot more after first reaching it, but it has almost no randomness, so it's fairly easy to learn a safe pattern through the whole thing.
Here's my first 1CC of the game, in case that might help with some strategies.

Also the PS1 version is probably the best port of that game out there, so good choice. The backgrounds are a little muted, but that's a small price to pay for saving the $600-700 you'd need to drop on an arcade board. It's one of my favourite games of all times, so do hack away at it! Try to get that 2-ALL 1CC.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Actually of the GTA games, 1 and 2 are the only ones I've actually beaten lol.

Impressive.  What about the London game? 

I've never actually beaten any GTA game.  They seam like they just go on forever to me.  I get more enjoyment from just driving around doing whatever I feel like. I've played every main game in the series.  I have the most hours spent playing 3, but the second most would be in the original.   

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Impressive.  What about the London game? 

I've never actually beaten any GTA game.  They seam like they just go on forever to me.  I get more enjoyment from just driving around doing whatever I feel like. I've played every main game in the series.  I have the most hours spent playing 3, but the second most would be in the original.   

Never played the London one.

22 hours ago, cartman said:

I was just playing Simpsons Arcade and died. Gonna be playing more later.

Oh I remember sometime in the early 90s watching a group of four(?) players playing to the very end (and I was hoping they did have enough quarters!) because of course I wanted to see what the end looked like!  This was back in the Dark Ages was when the only way you could see a game's ending (or even the game at all!) was to play the game and beat it.  Couldn't just download a playthrough/ending video on YT in those days!

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Never played the London one.

YOU'RE BROWN BREAD

Only ones I've beaten are IV (both endings and both expansions) and V (all 3 endings).

Playing Mafia III now and enjoying it so far.  It was a PS+ freebie some time ago apparently.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:49 PM, Rage780 said:

Testing out games from an N64 lot and put in Hybrid Heaven. Haven't be able to test anything since hah. Surprised tbh. Been discovering Konami for N64 been enjoying their work. Cant wait to find the castlevanias

I haven't played Hybrid Heaven since it originally came out, but I remember it had some pretty innovative stuff going on.  Given how RPG-starved the N64 is, it's surprising that Hybrid Heaven is still so overlooked ( especially when you have middling to bad RPGs like Quest 64 that still have a decent reputation, granted Quest is probably a bit more accessible ).  Aidyn Chronicles, technical issues aside, is also another forgotten RPG worth checking out.

The Castlevanias for the 64 are great.  They do a good job of blending different action/adventure/survival horror elements.  I think it's only in recent years, largely due to the AVGN review, that people have soured on CV64.  Well, that and the obvious criticism of not being exactly like the 2D games ( it does lean more towards the slower, exploration side of things at times ).

9 minutes ago, Estil said:

Oh I remember sometime in the early 90s watching a group of four(?) players playing to the very end (and I was hoping they did have enough quarters!) because of course I wanted to see what the end looked like!  This was back in the Dark Ages was when the only way you could see a game's ending (or even the game at all!) was to play the game and beat it.  Couldn't just download a playthrough/ending video on YT in those days!

I've never beaten it but haven't played much either. Altough seeing game endings is something i avoid because i feel that's supposed to be a surprise and reward. Sometimes i'll get to know it indirectly by beating the game on another platform i'm not too fond of that either.