IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

On 8/26/2020 at 6:41 PM, CasualCart said:

I feel like I always hear people say this game is easy for a shooter, but I get smoked 100% of the time even in the first level of Legendary Wings. Any tips for making progress?
(Love your current Dynowarz avatar, by the way, almost as much as the Sector Z one from before - you've got good taste in robots haha)

-CasualCart

The best advice I can give is to get fully powered up ASAP and try not to lose it.  The good thing about being full powered in this game is that you can take two or three hits before your weapon drops a level.  That helps a lot.  Each stage also has a bonus stage that has a few power ups in it too.  You get to them by diving into the small tornado that pops out when you blow up one of the ground turrets.   From there it's just practice.  Good luck. 

Also, if you have MAME, give the arcade version a try too.  The side scrolling levels are a bit different to the NES version.

• Like 1

I finished up Wargroove and moved on to Brigandine the Legend of Runersia.   While maintaining the basics of the original it is quite a bit different and so far is enjoyable.  It is a mixed bag of and there are things I like better and some things I don't.  The best is that the game is harder and more complex with far more knights.  The worst are the battlefield  graphics - they are more complex than the clean designs (and colors) of the original and between the shallow camera angle, the more muted battlefields, and the small screen it is hard to distinguish between the units.  It also doesn't help that the monsters all have unique rather names rather than just being named for their type/class.  (Because of the small screen all the figures have really small health bars rather than the numbers displayed on screen in the original.

I sat around most this afternoon as I'm having stuff on the house worked on every day since early mid last week and I finally fired up Cat Quest1+2 for the Switch.  WOW does that game play so much better with real controls and not fighting a touch panel.  I finished the first earlier this year on iOS and doing it again now.

I received a copy of Castlevania The Holy Relics Hack for NES yesterday and played through it.  Graphics and level designs are cool and the music is great - a mix of New + Old Classics.  It has a unique gameplay feature of needing to find a key in order to exit each stage of each level.  IIRC the original plan for Castlevania titled "Vampire Killer", had some feature like this.  When each boss is beaten you receive a "Holy Relic" rather than a mysterious orb.  It has a mega-man-style-level select and after selecting you can choose which relic to enable for the level but I never figured out just what any of these relics do.  My only criticism really is that it's not challenging enough.  I liked that the final bosses were actually different from the usual, the first was a giant spider rather than a bat and actually more difficult so after that I was expecting bosses to be pretty hard but alas, they were way too easy, even the reaper.  One other cool feature was that at the end it gives a little readout of how many of those secret emerging treasures you found.  Make that two criticisms: It didn't seem to have a hard mode the second time around.  An all around good hack though.

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

Ever since we "finished" Mario Odyssey, my son and I have switched over to Super Mario Party.  This is the first Mario Party game that I've actually put a decent amount of time into.  It's been fun because my son can pickup and play without much help from me.  My youngest son (age 3) has been playing it as well.  He can't do much, but he can do more with this game then the others he has "played" (Mario Kart 8 and Odyssey).  

Mischief Makers.  Completed the 53 Golden Gems bit, not too bad ( granted, I had to consult a guide for around 4-5 of them, there are some pretty well hidden ones ), Lunar's mech fight probably took around 50 tries to perfect, not super difficult but there's 1 bit where you have to fight him on the ground and it's pretty tough to predict his moves.  Considering going for S-Ranks now, Treasure does not mess around with those though.

Minecraft - On the VGS server. Having tons of fun.

Flight Simulator 2020 - Seems like an absolutely incredible platform. With bug fixes, performance improvements, and add ons it should be exactly what I wanted in a follow up to FSX. It is certainly a whole-ass Microsoft slapping their dick on the table with AI generated planet Earth product and not a half-ass game like Microsoft Flight was. I just need MS to fix the performance then I'm looking forward to years of third party support.

• 2 weeks later...

Tales of Destiny on my new PSIO or "special Playstation" as I call it...since it was my very special wife who helped me get it 🙂  It's very much like the SNES's Tales of Phantasia and I love the cute victory poses the girls do in both games after winning a battle 🙂  Not to mention the game has a crazy cat grandpa 🙂  Also while listening to YouTube videos I might do time trials on that Crash Team Racing or other blue chip driving games the PS1 had too.  And all those little touches both games do, like how you make footprints in the snow and the falling snow covers them up for example.  Not quite as technically impressive on the PS1 as it most definitely is on the SNES (it needed a six megabyte cartridge!!) but still really neat and cute atmosphere. 🙂

I can't wait to see what Tales of Destiny II (it's real name is Tales of Eternia right?) is like...it's on three discs so I should get my money's worth on that one, shouldn't I?

Only had time last night for one game, as my brother called me earlier in the night. Played through Paaman, really fun game, stayed up waaay too late last night with it, definitely one of those decisions that seems better at the time than by the next day.

Hopefully tonight I'll have some time for the ghosties game, also I might give Paaman 2 a spin at some point. We

3 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Oh man is that a long game. Holy shit. How many tmes you played it?

This is my third time overall, but I've always had random party-wipes at various points early on, so this time I'm being overly cautious and attempting to have the RPG equivelant of a No-Death Run which to me is a No-Party-Wipes Run.  I'm about half way right now and getting more powerful all the time.  Once I unlock the Sage Class I'll be pretty much unstoppable.

And yeah, DQ 5 is awesome.  Storywise, the blonde chick is the best choice, but I love how your kids look with their blue hair if you pick the blue-haired chick, on top of all the free money her Dad gives you at random locations, so I sometimes pick the non-canon chick just for those reasons.  Since DQ 5 is so much shorter than most other DQ's, I've played it a lot more...

I've still been playing Mario Party with my son, but on the side, I decided to start Breath of the Wild over again from the beginning.  I originally bought the Wii U version on launch day and put close to 200 hours into it before moving on.  I haven't played it in probably 2 years.  I got a good deal on the Switch version so I'm starting from scratch, but I'm enjoying it as much as when it was new.