IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Needed a break from NES today so I decided to give Cliffhanger on the Sega CD a go for the 2nd time ever.  Like the first time, I made it to the first checkpoint of the first snowboarding level and not much further.  I think it's an underrated game,  just has very little room for error on the snowboard levels.  Once I'd had enough abuse I decided to take in a few rounds of Space Harrier for 32x - Made it to the boss of level 7 of 18.  -Very fast first person shmup, the kind of thing the genesis was made for.

cliffhanger.jpg

space harrier.jpg

• Like 1

I peeled my way into a few good hours of time I could apply myself to a game and went at it with Pokemon Shield.  I'm actually getting into it a bit more and more.  Within that time, found quite a few nice items but also cleared out both the water and fire gyms, walked the next annoying wild space up to the next hub and saved it.  Looking at a few things that took a shot at me though, I know I probably am going to have to tolerate the wild area for a bit as it appears you need to be lv30 to proceed much further, and I'm not there.

I've been playing Legacy of the Wizard.  I always thought this game was king of janky, but I'm starting to change my mind.  There are certainly some aspects of it that can be considered janky, but for the most part it's a pretty well designed game.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:21 PM, PII said:

cliffhanger.jpg

space harrier.jpg

I’ve seen Cliffhanger on Sega CD around but never gave it much thought. Maybe I’ll take a look at it.

I will, however, always give Space Harrier some appreciation.

EDIT: To answer the thread:

A lot of Warzone.

Edited by The Strangest

Played a bit of Toki: Going Ape Spit on the MegaDrive yesterday.

It was one of the first games I got back when I was just browsing online auctions for the cheapest sega games available about 20 years ago now, because I have fond memories of the arcade game.

66383-toki-going-ape-spit-genesis-screen

Though it shares a lot of stuff from the arcade one this is really more of a sequel. I think I heard somewhere that it's not as good, and I ended up never playing it.
But it's honestly really good. It shares a lot of aspects from the original game, but is designed much more as a console game - the pace is slower and rewards exploring a lot, and there are way, way more stages, taking over an hour to get through the game. Similarly to the arcade game, most things will kill you when you first get there, but subsequent plays will make you perform much better, and there are a ton of extra lives all over the place.

The final boss is impossible though. I really have no idea how to beat it.

45 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

I’m about 60 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition on Switch. 

I'm about 30 hours myself but playing the New 3DS version, never got around to play it on the Wii and so far so good but I've felt a bit overwhelmed at times with all the different mechanics and other things going on.

18 hours ago, Abelardo said:

I'm about 30 hours myself but playing the New 3DS version, never got around to play it on the Wii and so far so good but I've felt a bit overwhelmed at times with all the different mechanics and other things going on.

Felt the same about the different mechanics. Now I am playing around with different team combos. To figure out the my preferred setup. 

16 hours ago, AstralSoul64 said:

Replaying every Crash Bandicoot game in anticipation for Crash 4 in October. Plus they're some of my favorite games ever. Also going through Dragon Quest Builders which is really addicting. And throw in some Intelligent Qube for good measure.

Big bonus points for I.Q. mention.

I'm giving Hollow Knight another try. I initially found it boring, but decided to go back and give it a fair shake. I'm now about five hours in and I'm still struggling to find much joy in it. I feel like I'm exploring with the sole intention of filling in the map rather than actually trying to discover something new or learn about lore. Also, having to use one of my very limited charm notches just be able to see myself on the map is asinine. In the same vein, only being able to change charms while sitting on a bench is just painful. It seems like whenever the developers had the option of making the game more fun, instead they chose to "make the game experience more authentic." And that is the antithesis to game design for me. It is in stark contrast to something like Ori and the Will of the Wisps which revolves around giving you more freedom to enjoy the game.

Still, I shall push forward. I'm sure it will get more enjoyable as I gain abilities, but I feel like the game is overrated thus far.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AstralSoul64 said:

Replaying every Crash Bandicoot game in anticipation for Crash 4 in October. Plus they're some of my favorite games ever. Also going through Dragon Quest Builders which is really addicting. And throw in some Intelligent Qube for good measure.

Been real curious about Intelligent Qube for the last year or two - haven't scored a copy yet though.  D.Q.B. sounds like a good time too - maybe the game to get a fan of old RPG's like myself back into it.

• Like 1

My go to games the last couple weeks are Super Turrican 2, Pocky and Rocky, and Mystic Defender. with an honourable mention for Dragon's Fury. 

Both SNES games are worth the money; super polished. A little surprised because even though I had heard of them in passing, they were never on my radar, both are fun.

Mystic Defender is pretty cool; it's has a very Genesis feel. I picked up Jewel Master and Mystic Defender at the same time, they feel similar, Jewel Master is on my second tier right now because I got stuck kind of fast. Dragon's Fury is the only pinball game I have played on a console. It's strangely addicting. Fun for changing things up between genres.

7 hours ago, PII said:

Been real curious about Intelligent Qube for the last year or two - haven't scored a copy yet though.  D.Q.B. sounds like a good time too - maybe the game to get a fan of old RPG's like myself back into it.

There's a demo of DQ Builders on Switch eShop and probably other consoles as well. It's like a mix of Minecraft-lite and action RPG-lite with DQ flavor. I wasn't sure about it at first but I ended up really liking it.

Intelligent Qube is so much fun. Such a great puzzle game.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing Galaxy 5000 on the NES lately.  If you've never played it before it's sort of like R.C. Pro-Am except with Spaceships.  Acquired a Stiletto (the final ship) and made it to the 3rd Pluto Race tonight.  It's certainly not a flawless game, but definitely fun and unique enough to deserve a sequel.  It has a really great level of challenge.  Easy enough to get into right quick, but gets exponentially more difficult as you progress through the inner terrestrial planets.  The gas giants are harder yet, but the curve doesn't seem overly steep once you get good at the terrestrial planets.  Then when you hit Pluto (terrestrial again) it seems to be designed to give you a real whuppin'.  Planet X is last.  I'm guessing the layout'll be particularly weird in some respect, but maybe not as awkward as Pluto.  Definitely a Favorite for me!

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

I got a couple Neo Geo games in the mail yesterday, one without label so it was a mystery game of sorts.  I thought I had ID'd it but it ended up there were 2 games that used the board, it was the other.  Took awhile with cleaning and stuff to get them working, then correctly, but for now I'm taking a little time trying to enjoy Windjammers and Samurai Shodown 4, and about a month back grabbed Art of Fighting as a kit too so that as well when time allows.