IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

On 4/28/2020 at 9:21 PM, Arkturus said:

Just coming back to the hobby this is my first experience of frustration.  I get the price spikes and dips, always had them albeit now its exponential.  Its the capitalistic reselling mentality and the most prized grails just trading hands for constant profit.  This is what, the 2nd highest recorded sale behind SMB and the owner is already trying to flip it 5 months later?

5 months...... How much does this owner and his business partner really care for the actual game.  Next to nothing.

Sealed collectors back on NA set the roots for all of this, bronty, 1upped, jone, blarky, list goes on and on.  There was something so special when collectors rooted for one another and we had that tight community.  A few years later I joined NA as a new guy and they welcomed me with open arms.  Felt great to be a part of the journey.  Prices spiked back then too but it wasnt so artificial like this.  So I miss it.  Joining Instagram has helped quite a bit but its still not the same.  

Anyways, I dont mind price spikes.  Its fun watching your graded games go up in value, but when the most prized grails are trading hands strictly for profit with no attachment to the actual game it just annoys the crap out of me.

end rant.  

Obviously people are coming into this hobby now strictly for investment purposes, and for the most part are not trying to hide that.

This is just the natural progression of hobbies when demand reaches a certain point.

We also should not forget that MM traded hands a few times before it hit the HA scene.

In the end I have no control over it. It is what it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snk2d4ever said:

Obviously people are coming into this hobby now strictly for investment purposes, and for the most part are not trying to hide that.

This is just the natural progression of hobbies when demand reaches a certain point.

We also should not forget that MM traded hands a few times before it hit the HA scene.

In the end I have no control over it. It is what it is.

I think it needs to be said that there is a difference between natural progression of demand versus natural progression of demand with market manipulation. 

I’m not gullible to think that market manipulation does not exist up until now. However, it’s the manipulation of the market that involves the addition of thousands to tens of thousands of dollars, that is annoying for me as a potential buyer, but I feel more for those who are potentially going to lose big. Good luck to those who have gained from current purchases, but how many will make losses?

• Like 1

Eh my advice, just don't take it personally.  I don't understand the whole mentality of buying it for the collection but then immediately listing it for sale (even if price is obviously unreasonable) but people can do as they wish.  Just ironically enough, people want what they can't have.  You can have the rarest item in the world, but if is it always listed as available for sale, interest does diminish over time.  You make the rare item appear a lot less rare by having it up.

• Like 6

Some have a seal rating of NS. Does this mean it's opened or does it mean it's one of the Atari games that never came sealed? That wouldn't make sense because those games were sealed, they just had the cardboard itself sealed and that's still a seal. If you're going to rate the sticker seal black box games on just the sticker seal then you should rate the exposed Atari games based on their cardboard box glued flaps seal.

43 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Some have a seal rating of NS. Does this mean it's opened or does it mean it's one of the Atari games that never came sealed? That wouldn't make sense because those games were sealed, they just had the cardboard itself sealed and that's still a seal. If you're going to rate the sticker seal black box games on just the sticker seal then you should rate the exposed Atari games based on their cardboard box glued flaps seal.

The NS Atari games were the ones that originally came with the tops of the boxes glued shut. 

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

9 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

$9000 Atari 2600 Spider-man selling for more than double what Swordquest Waterworld sold for. I bet we all saw that coming. I wish I had idle rich money so bad, because that sure as hell is no investment.

This is just fucked.  I don't know Atari that well, but even the 1988 Mario for like 9K is absolutely laughable isn't it?

Are any of these titles that sold *actually* that hard to find in sealed nice condition?  My mind is diluted by how available most every Atari title has been for years (factory sealed).  I feel like all of the Atari sale prices are far more laughable than any of the other sales, but would love more input.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arkturus said:

I think its just me getting my mind around it because I was gone for so long.  Its only been a month catching up on everything so I just need to get used to the way things are nowadays.  The shock factor is still there on some of these.

Good to have you back! 😀

13 hours ago, Arkturus said:

I think its just me getting my mind around it because I was gone for so long.  Its only been a month catching up on everything so I just need to get used to the way things are nowadays.  The shock factor is still there on some of these.

Shock factor is still here for those of us that never left! Hehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Anybody pick up any games in the auction this weekend?

48 minutes ago, Caliboy24 said:

Nope.  I thought majority went for higher than what I'm comfortable at paying.

Agreed. Rarely a game sneaks through at a reasonable price, but generally Heritage makes eBay look like garage sale prices.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kell said:

Yeah, can’t believe how high the resale is on HA for some of these.  Anyone sell on it yet?  Not sure how it works.

Do you have to send them the games? Are there fees in addition to the buyers premium?  

You have to send them the games to list and I think the seller's fee starts at 15%, but can go lower depending on what your items sell for. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...