IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

6 hours ago, snk2d4ever said:

I personally don't think there is a correlation between CIB/loose value to its prototype counterpart. I wouldn't pay more for a Little Samson protoype than an Adventure Island. Their supply/demand should be similar.

Historically protoypes value is in software differences but unfortunately Wata, nor HA, label if that's present or not.

Well put. Wata at this point just labels the pcb and that’s about it. That hagane prototype price is to high to me personally. I’ve seen like four hagane prototypes over the years always over this price tho 

22 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Anyone have any idea what a CIB copy goes for? 10-20k maybe? I would actually like to add it to my collection someday.

Loose SEs have sold publicly for 10-15.    No chance of getting a cib one for that.    Cib would be 20-40 IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Loose SEs have sold publicly for 10-15.    No chance of getting a cib one for that.    Cib would be 20-40 IMO

I always internally planned on spending about $30k for a CIB copy so I thought the sealed one would go for significantly more. I had figured the sealed premium would be at least 3x, but maybe there is a price ceiling due to the SMB sticker seal sale.

13 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I always internally planned on spending about $30k for a CIB copy so I thought the sealed one would go for significantly more. I had figured the sealed premium would be at least 3x, but maybe there is a price ceiling due to the SMB sticker seal sale.

That’s not my interpretation at all.   Sealed SEs have always traded at a very low multiple to CIB.    It’s the rarest cib and rarest loose game, but there are many sealed items just as rare as a sealed SE or even rarer, so in that arena it’s not as special.   Still special just not the OMFGWTFBBQ item it is to the loose and cib guys

Edited by Bronty
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

That’s not my interpretation at all.   Sealed SEs have always traded at a very low multiple to CIB.    It’s the rarest cib and rarest loose game, but there are many sealed items just as rare as a sealed SE or even rarer, so in that arena it’s not as special.   Still special just not the OMFGWTFBBQ item it is to the loose and cib guys

Agreed, SE Sealed multiple has always been about 1.5x IMO.  You'll get some variation depending on condition but that's the rough rule of thumb I've pegged it at.  Every time I think they'll start to split and then it continues to stay in that range.  

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jonebone said:

Agreed, SE Sealed multiple has always been about 1.5x IMO.  You'll get some variation depending on condition but that's the rough rule of thumb I've pegged it at.  Every time I think they'll start to split and then it continues to stay in that range.  

yes and part of it is that its a 50% increment on what is already a high base.     66k can and should buy a real nice game.    I had this 9.2 pegged at 75k, but even a 9.6 or 9.8 I see as topping out around 100k.     

• 1 month later...

Anyone here, by chance, know who the current/former owner of this is? https://gonintendo.com/stories/359224-extremely-rare-game-watch-demo-units-up-for-auction?fbclid=IwAR2R7wWHw0egMos6IsTuszthBYs7TEXNcW1dgphKFjvGn9oJ0wSnDs4fhYQ

Will be way outpriced for me, but we are a few who would love to get more information on this

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just coming back to the hobby this is my first experience of frustration.  I get the price spikes and dips, always had them albeit now its exponential.  Its the capitalistic reselling mentality and the most prized grails just trading hands for constant profit.  This is what, the 2nd highest recorded sale behind SMB and the owner is already trying to flip it 5 months later?

5 months...... How much does this owner and his business partner really care for the actual game.  Next to nothing.

Sealed collectors back on NA set the roots for all of this, bronty, 1upped, jone, blarky, list goes on and on.  There was something so special when collectors rooted for one another and we had that tight community.  A few years later I joined NA as a new guy and they welcomed me with open arms.  Felt great to be a part of the journey.  Prices spiked back then too but it wasnt so artificial like this.  So I miss it.  Joining Instagram has helped quite a bit but its still not the same.  

Anyways, I dont mind price spikes.  Its fun watching your graded games go up in value, but when the most prized grails are trading hands strictly for profit with no attachment to the actual game it just annoys the crap out of me.

end rant.  

• Like 3

Anyone else noticed the sealed Dr. Wright MM game that sold on ebay a couple month ago for over $35k?   I think that it would grade around the same as this Carolina copy,  which means if and when that happens, this Carolina copy will not be the single highest graded copy and therefore would affect its value over the short and long term.  The Pedigree status does help, but its uniqueness in being the sole highest graded status is gone.  

Yes, the owner(s) of the Carolina copy obviously wants to make a huge profit but I'm sure he/they are well aware of the ebay copy.  Who knows if there are other high graded copies out there that have not seen the light of day.  

There will be speculators and investors in just about every collectible market.  I've been a vintage comic book collector for more than a decade and I have seen prices for key books exponentially rise in price throughout the years until around 2018, but has stabilized and dipped a bit from those highs around 2019 and until now.  It's just a part of any hobby.  Some people don't mind it, others hate it.  Just got to either live with it or get out of it completely.  

I'm guessing that the only reason it's on ebay is to get people to look at the sellers other listings. If they really wanted to sell it, I doubt they would have listed it at $150k and quickly raised it to $199k. I used to see sellers do that with vintage baseball cards all of the time by listing a really rare item at a ridiculous price just to get people to look at their other stuff and it usually worked.

That's true too.  In that sense, anyone can just steal pictures and info from a high valued item that was sold previously and list it up on ebay for a crazy high price like the one we see with the MM game to create more traffic for their listings.

But yeah, anything high value like this, ebay is not the venue to sell.

19 hours ago, Arkturus said:

This is what, the 2nd highest recorded sale behind SMB and the owner is already trying to flip it 5 months later?

5 months...... How much does this owner and his business partner really care for the actual game.  Next to nothing.

I collect sealed games and stuff like this really does bother me. There's not much room for interpretation about the motive here.

It's the sort of behavior that will eventually kill this hobby. 

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
18 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm guessing that the only reason it's on ebay is to get people to look at the sellers other listings. If they really wanted to sell it, I doubt they would have listed it at $150k and quickly raised it to $199k. I used to see sellers do that with vintage baseball cards all of the time by listing a really rare item at a ridiculous price just to get people to look at their other stuff and it usually worked.

Ha, I tried that with my old DK Competition Cart a few years ago. Listed it about 2.5 times the going rate in hopes to drive some traffic to my eBay page. Thing sold in a day and I had to scramble to find a replacement. Took me a year, at a slightly higher price than the original market price. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, doner24 said:

Ha, I tried that with my old DK Competition Cart a few years ago. Listed it about 2.5 times the going rate in hopes to drive some traffic to my eBay page. Thing sold in a day and I had to scramble to find a replacement. Took me a year, at a slightly higher price than the original market price. 

That might be the only time I've heard of someone doing that and actually selling the item when they didn't really want to!

On 4/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, Arkturus said:

Just coming back to the hobby this is my first experience of frustration.  I get the price spikes and dips, always had them albeit now its exponential.  Its the capitalistic reselling mentality and the most prized grails just trading hands for constant profit.  This is what, the 2nd highest recorded sale behind SMB and the owner is already trying to flip it 5 months later?

Sealed collectors back on NA set the roots for all of this, bronty, 1upped, jone, blarky, list goes on and on.  There was something so special when collectors rooted for one another and we had that tight community.  A few years later I joined NA as a new guy and they welcomed me with open arms.  Felt great to be a part of the journey.  Prices spiked back then too but it wasnt so artificial like this.  So I miss it.  Joining Instagram has helped quite a bit but its still not the same.  

Anyways, I dont mind price spikes.  Its fun watching your graded games go up in value, but when the most prized grails are trading hands strictly for profit with no attachment to the actual game it just annoys the crap out of me.

end rant.  

Would say Ark, the good folks are still here, and still a major part of the hobby. What you loved about it then, you can love about it now because the camaraderie remains.