IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

3 minutes ago, OptOut said:

What, you mean you're NOT regularly dropping 5 and 6 figures on games?! Git gud scrub! 😄

Well at least I can confess I’m not in those “elite” group. Even if I had the dough to spend (6 digits) and spending it, my missus might literally hire a hitman for my execution. Or worse, she might be THE hitman!

😆🥺😫

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GPX said:

Anyone know the rough demographics of these HA buyers of 6 digit figures?

A/S/L?

3+ old men in a trenchcoat, probably Florida. Is there an actual end collector at the super high end beside the Pets.com guy who bought the Nintendo Playstation? It’s probably an investor group similar to the 100k Mario. If it sells for crazy money and they have dozens of other sealed Mario games, everyone wins.

• Like 1

These current prices are unreal and unprecedented already, so who knows what the final prices are going to be, but they already are breaking records! if you are looking to buy any nice copy in any form of these games(sealed, graded, cib, cartridge, etc) I would recommend buying them before the auctions end, because with all the hoopla these record breaking sales are going to bring to the hobby, prices for (probably) everything will go up!

16 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

3+ old men in a trenchcoat, probably Florida. Is there an actual end collector at the super high end beside the Pets.com guy who bought the Nintendo Playstation? It’s probably an investor group similar to the 100k Mario. If it sells for crazy money and they have dozens of other sealed Mario games, everyone wins.

I guess I’m curious whether buyers of that magnitude are scattered all around the globe? Or whether they’re highly concentrated at certain regions/neighbourhood where perhaps some hanky panky is going on?

20 minutes ago, GPX said:

I guess I’m curious whether buyers of that magnitude are scattered all around the globe? Or whether they’re highly concentrated at certain regions/neighbourhood where perhaps some hanky panky is going on?

Lots of buyers from Germany lately in the Facebook groups to the point where there are complaints about keeping conversations in English. Not sure what happened, possibly related to the German streamer spending ludicrous money on things like GTA and God of War to for views.

Edited by DefaultGen

1 hour ago, GPX said:

A secret sex cult that's primary focus is hanky panky in a big open room with nothing but wata graded left bros. covering the walls?

There's plenty of tech industry people with the cash to spend that kind of money on this stuff. Cumulatively there are thousands or tens of thousands of early employees at the big tech firms who are in the sweet spot to be nostalgic about this stuff and who got multiple millions when their firms IPOed. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the demographic of some buyers.

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

There's plenty of tech industry people with the cash to spend that kind of money on this stuff. Cumulatively there are thousands or tens of thousands of early employees at the big tech firms who are in the sweet spot to be nostalgic about this stuff and who got multiple millions when their firms IPOed. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the demographic of some buyers.

Totally agree with you here! This is probably where a lot of the money is coming from! It is about to reach another level for sure though, when these Heritage Auctions end! I don't know if that is good or bad for the average collector and the hobby as a whole?!

Edited by Dumars2001

21 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You don't?!?  😕

No, it'll be great!

Instead of buying hundreds of games and building up a healthy game collection of great experiences and awesome memories built up over years of passionate dedication to the hobby, we'll all just put our entire yearly game budget into singular sealed/graded titles to store in bank vaults until they double in value!!! After that we'll liquidate those assets to reinvest in the next sealed/graded game that HA/WATA hypes up, and wait another couple years for the cycle to repeat!

Imagine how much free time you'll have now you can't actually PLAY any of your games, and you don't need to work anymore because your sealed game collection is earning your income for you! Living the dream!!! 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

Totally agree with you here! This is probably where a lot of the money is coming from! It is about to reach another level for sure though, when these Heritage Auctions end! I don't know if that is good or bad for the average collector and the hobby as a whole?!

I’ve worked out a scientific formula for good or bad?

- a lot of stuff to sell = good

- a lot of stuff to buy = bad.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 8:16 AM, GPX said:

Anyone know the rough demographics of these HA buyers of 6 digit figures?

A/S/L?

From what I am hearing, it sounds like there are groups of people pooling their money to buy these. Not sure how widespread, but just something that I have seen referenced on social media several times. It honestly would not surprise me that this is happening with how much prices keep jumping. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dewisp02 said:

From what I am hearing, it sounds like there are groups of people pooling their money to buy these. Not sure how widespread, but just something that I have seen referenced on social media several times. It honestly would not surprise me that this is happening with how much prices keep jumping. 

So...instead of buying several items per auction, now you can pool your money with 3-5 other neckbeards and buy one game together!

...Definitely a good thing for the community! Up with the prices!

No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask? 😄

• Like 1

I mean, it's just my guess but I think you can overplay the impact on collecting as a hobby. It sucks if you love collecting the popular sealed games just as objects, but...is that really a big thing? Hasn't collecting sealed always kiiiinda been about speculation? You can't *do* much with a sealed game beside stick it on a shelf and look at it.

There's much less of an impact on the CIB market, and less again on cart only, and lots of people collect those. And there's huge areas of the hobby that aren't really affected at all AFAICT. HA isn't selling sealed copies of, like, 99% of games. PS3 games still sell for ten cents a ton, more or less 😛 There's lots of game collecting you can do that isn't at all affected by the hype around mostly sealed copies of a very specific subset of games.

Just my opinion, again, don't hurt me 😄

• Like 1

Watching the eBay action alongside the HA auction is kinda interesting. Lots of sealed listings and sales on eBay recently. Today a WATA 8.5 Pokemon Blue 3rd print (the black ESRB logo print) sold for $9487: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224390973283?nordt=true&rt=nc - that's the third-highest ever Blue sale. I guess whoever bought it is gambling that the current HA listings will go higher by the end of the auction.

Edited by AdamW
not a record, there've been two higher ebay sales

On 3/19/2021 at 2:15 AM, AdamW said:

I mean, it's just my guess but I think you can overplay the impact on collecting as a hobby. It sucks if you love collecting the popular sealed games just as objects, but...is that really a big thing? Hasn't collecting sealed always kiiiinda been about speculation? You can't *do* much with a sealed game beside stick it on a shelf and look at it.

There's much less of an impact on the CIB market, and less again on cart only, and lots of people collect those. And there's huge areas of the hobby that aren't really affected at all AFAICT. HA isn't selling sealed copies of, like, 99% of games. PS3 games still sell for ten cents a ton, more or less 😛 There's lots of game collecting you can do that isn't at all affected by the hype around mostly sealed copies of a very specific subset of games.

Just my opinion, again, don't hurt me 😄

Yes and no.

Yes part, in theory, is because the high end market shouldn’t really affect prices for everything.

No part, well it’s a lot more different now! The main difference being since everything is going bonkers on HA (with the frequent hype articles), practically every seller now expects all their games to be of increased value. And some buyers who have been drawn into the hype, are expecting others to think that “all games are becoming valuable”, so they might bid higher than what they would have ordinarily. Particularly more so if the game is from a popular franchise.

TLDR - HA prices are creating an artificial perception that video games as a whole are more of worth, when in fact, only the high end games/condition are deservedly so (like the past 20-30 years).

• Like 2