IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

4 minutes ago, jonebone said:

As crazy as it seems, I guess some of these people are just rich and diversifying for lack of a better term?  Sell a comic book for $50k then dump it into games on HA without really knowing or caring to do research? 

We as collectors know what's a good and bad buy, but if you're just a pure investor who wants to get his toes in the market without knowing, then I guess you just throw lots of money at games that you know by name. 

That's my guess, but I'm surprised that they would drop $3k on something without at least spending five minutes to look up recent sales.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
23 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's my guess, but I'm surprised that they would drop $3k on something without at least spending five minutes to look up recent sales.

It's slabbed and sitting on HA.com; what more reason to buy do these people need?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, jonebone said:

As crazy as it seems, I guess some of these people are just rich and diversifying for lack of a better term?  Sell a comic book for $50k then dump it into games on HA without really knowing or caring to do research? 

We as collectors know what's a good and bad buy, but if you're just a pure investor who wants to get his toes in the market without knowing, then I guess you just throw lots of money at games that you know by name. 

Yep a good portion of the money comes from comic books 

34 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's slabbed and sitting on HA.com; what more reason to buy do these people need?

I've got a box of stuff I was going to put on ebay, but it's hard not to consider sending it to Heritage if people are going to pay those prices even with them taking 35% in buyer and seller fees.

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've got a box of stuff I was going to put on ebay, but it's hard not to consider sending it to Heritage if people are going to pay those prices even with them taking 35% in buyer and seller fees.

Are the games graded? That's a requirement.

22 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I don't know if anyone else saw this. Shantae sold back in August for $1440. Resold via an offer for $4250 last month. 8 months to almost triple your investment. 

If everyone is getting rich quick, that's a sure sign of a stable investment you should jump in on immediately! Bitcoin's almost doubled since it crashed in March, time to go all in!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

If everyone is getting rich quick, that's a sure sign of a stable investment you should jump in on immediately! Bitcoin's almost doubled since it crashed in March, time to go all in!

You can only get rich if the Bitcoin are graded and sold on Heritage! 😂

• Like 1

I had my first buddy talk to me recently about grading and selling cheap modern garbage on HA (GTA Trilogy, CIB NFR Halo, cheap big name modern games basically). He's totally out of the sealed/high end scene and just wants that $$$.

I know there's a bunch of these, but I'm surprised there isn't a veritable deluge of people trying to get rich quick considering how long this has gone on. Is the first Uncharted 1 sealed going to sell for $1000? The Last of Us? Sekiro? It sure feels like anything can happen if you put up an "Oh I've heard of that one" game. I'm trying to convince him to waste a few hundred grading budget crap for my entertainment.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I had my first buddy talk to me recently about grading and selling cheap modern garbage on HA (GTA Trilogy, CIB NFR Halo, cheap big name modern games basically). He's totally out of the sealed/high end scene and just wants that $$$.

I know there's a bunch of these, but I'm surprised there isn't a veritable deluge of people trying to get rich quick considering how long this has gone on. Is the first Uncharted 1 sealed going to sell for $1000? The Last of Us? Sekiro? It sure feels like anything can happen if you put up an "Oh I've heard of that one" game. I'm trying to convince him to waste a few hundred grading budget crap for my entertainment.

Thank you for using your friend as a thought experiment on behalf of your VGS buddies! 😁

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

At this point, I would be more surprised if that idea didn't work.

9 hours ago, Mijael said:

Yep a good portion of the money comes from comic books

I don't care how anyone tries to rationalize the approach. This buyer is going to lose $3k if he tries to sit on it hoping it will appreciate in value. There are thousands of these second print sealed copies of GOW still in circulation. Many of them still in mint condition as they are relatively new stock and stores couldn't unload them quick enough since it was near/after the end of PS2's life-cycle. If the buyer had any clue, the best bet would be to re-sell it now to someone equally as dull and re-coup the losses.

To use the comic-book analogy, all 9.6 CGC graded comic books are practically worthless, as there are tens of thousands of the same grade in circulation. To obtain anything near value you have to go for 9.8+ grade, and those are usually hundreds in circulation. It's hard enough to speculate on legitimate limited 1st release print runs (like the original security seal GOW), and most of the time people will predict wrong and lose money. The odds of something like this retaining any value, outside the current short-term speculative bubble, is practically zero.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It’d be equally surprising and perplexing if either you or me would jump straight into the comic collecting scene, knowing nothing about the hobby and then just chucking some bids on a random comic for $3K.

Then we both pray it resells for more.

(Reading it over again, this just feels beyond moronic, like a-4-year-old-bidding-on-eBay, moronic.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

How many people had to say yes for this nonsensically encapsulated garbage to end up in an auction. Nuts.

spacer.png

I thought the exact same thing......

what kind of crazy person sent this into WATA in teh first place?  Further who sends thsi shit into Heritage, and who at HA says, YES we'll take it!!!