IGNORED

The 3DS Thread

2 hours ago, DeuceGamer said:

No doubt if cart production remains for 18 months we will see reprints and I agree with both Atlus and Square being likely candidates. It all comes down to when Nintendo decides to move on I guess.

Chrono Trigger and all of the DQ DS games had a reprint during that 2016 BF sale you mention. I picked up some of each for very cheap. In the long run those reprints didn’t really keep the prices low, I guess due to the lower overall sales and reprint size.

That's kinda what happened with cave story 3D too. It got reprints, price went way down and has come back up a bit. Xenoblade chronicles is one of the few that has stayed low but I suspect that's moreso because it was also released on the 3DS and switch. That's another thing to keep in mind too if you're investing in modern games. Think about what could see a port over to the switch. Pikmin 3 on switch just got announced today. I bet we'll see some 3DS games too. Heck, cave story that I mentioned is now on switch. 

1 hour ago, Makar said:

Xenoblade chronicles is one of the few that has stayed low but I suspect that's moreso because it was also released on the 3DS and switch.

It's also one of those things where print run does equal price. I suspect they could print Chrono Trigger til the cows come home and then print some for each of the cows and the second production would stop, the price would rise. 

Look at the price of Pokemon Platinum. A game with over 7 million copies sold. Yet the second it went out of stock it shot up like it was a CIB Super Nintendo game. My take still is, plenty of gamers missed out on a generation of games bc they grew up and played COD and Fortnite. Now the Switch drew them back into Nintendo's handheld gaming and they're completely diving in to all the titles they missed. 

In short, I blame the Switch being successful lol

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

It's also one of those things where print run does equal price. I suspect they could print Chrono Trigger til the cows come home and then print some for each of the cows and the second production would stop, the price would rise. 

Look at the price of Pokemon Platinum. A game with over 7 million copies sold. Yet the second it went out of stock it shot up like it was a CIB Super Nintendo game. My take still is, plenty of gamers missed out on a generation of games bc they grew up and played COD and Fortnite. Now the Switch drew them back into Nintendo's handheld gaming and they're completely diving in to all the titles they missed. 

In short, I blame the Switch being successful lol

Holy crap dude you're definitely onto something. Here I was thinking Chrono trigger on the DS was $15-20. Nope, it's $40-50 now cart only. Man things have skyrocketed. I guess if a game truly is good, it'll hold it's value over time. I can't believe platinum is $70+ cart only now too. That's crazy.

From browsing on eBay, there are so many fakes out there now too. Anyone who collects DS games be very careful and always check the backs of carts to see if they're fake or not.

50 minutes ago, Makar said:

From browsing on eBay, there are so many fakes out there now too. Anyone who collects DS games be very careful and always check the backs of carts to see if they're fake or not.

Yep definitely try and get pictures for DS games if you can. I actually had Black Sigil on the DS for years and never got around to playing it, sold it to someone on NA and they pointed out it was a fake. They were super nice about it but it opened up my eyes to fake DS carts. I checked the rest of my collection and they were all fine.

9 hours ago, Shmup said:

Yep definitely try and get pictures for DS games if you can. I actually had Black Sigil on the DS for years and never got around to playing it, sold it to someone on NA and they pointed out it was a fake. They were super nice about it but it opened up my eyes to fake DS carts. I checked the rest of my collection and they were all fine.

Same thing happened to me in my early days of collecting. I sold a copy of super robot taisen og saga on NA and same thing, they were like uh this is fake. I felt terrible, fixed the issue by sending them infinite space, and from then on figured out how to check if games are fake.

Luckily it's super easy for DS games since the black letters and numbers on the back of the fake carts are always jacked up and different.

GBA and DS definitely have it really bad when it comes to fakes.

It’s surprisingly still up. I was also able to grab a copy and 4000 isn’t necessarily a super small print run, but I expected it would sell out much quicker. 

At least everyone that wanted should have no trouble getting it, but once it sells out it will be another story despite my belief that there are other games that will be harder to get complete/sealed.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:35 PM, Makar said:

This makes me wonder when we'll see Wii prices take off. It's still a relatively cheap system to collect for. Glad I got all the 3DS games I wanted when I had the chance, although I think it's only certain games taking off. Stuff like fire emblem is still cheaper than the original MSRP. Im really surprised with how cheap fire emblem echoes is. So maybe the train hasn't quite left the station just yet for the 3DS. 

Collecting for Wii, I would think, would be less popular, just because it's such an easy system to both hack and emulate, and thus avoid ownership of the games but still being able to play them. That, I feel, takes some wind out of the price value, as you lose the crowd that just wants to buy for playing. Plus, even if you are in it for collecting, the system has a big reputation for shovelware. I doubt it will ever take off as a whole; Certain games will hold value and most won't hold any at all. That's what I would expect anyway.

17 minutes ago, koifish said:

Collecting for Wii, I would think, would be less popular, just because it's such an easy system to both hack and emulate, and thus avoid ownership of the games but still being able to play them. That, I feel, takes some wind out of the price value, as you lose the crowd that just wants to buy for playing. Plus, even if you are in it for collecting, the system has a big reputation for shovelware. I doubt it will ever take off as a whole; Certain games will hold value and most won't hold any at all. That's what I would expect anyway.

The Wii is a fantastic console for both gaming and collecting. But that's a discussion for another thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeuceGamer said:

At least everyone that wanted should have no trouble getting it, but once it sells out it will be another story despite my belief that there are other games that will be harder to get complete/sealed.

What other 3ds games do you think that will be harder to get then the Atooi collection later on down the road?

On 8/7/2020 at 1:48 PM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

The Wii is a fantastic console for both gaming and collecting. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Indeed, sorry for posting off-topic 🙂

I was actually here to ask about kisekae (cover) plates for new 3DS. I have been buying up some hardware as a backup storage ever since I saw that my new 3DS was suffering ghosting on the 3D mode, and as a result I have become curious if anyone has a definitive collection of cover plates that have been released. You can see the main 76 plates that were released in stores on eBay (and you can see all but the three disney sets on nintendo Japan's kisekae page, I assume they are gone for licensing reasons). But then, there's also the pokemon 20th anniversary plates, the two dragonball plate sets, at least two hello kitty sets that I have seen, there's the mario embossed black and white sets, which I think are classified separately from the other four sets of Mario embossed plates (?), there are also at least two that I cannot find anywhere but in more exclusive console bundles, one is a diamond-studded pattern that was bundled with the EU SKU that bundled in style savvy 3, and the other is a japan-only (?) Which is colorful pastel dots with a soft yellow border. I also remember a random set of monster Hunter plates which I think were both numbered AND EU-exclusive. Now, I think I might be missing some and misrepresenting others, but aside from the 76 I think none of those are really classified anywhere beyond being part of a given console SKU. Plus, I can't really find record of all of them beyond the statement here and there on a game news site of a given console bundle. Plus, there are bundles that just include plates which were separately released, such as the mario 3ds bundle in the US, the animal crossing bundles (all of them use separately sold plates), and some other Japanese bundles (monster hunter X, colorful stars) so it further muddies the water. Sorry, I'm spewing too much about plates! But that's the level to which I'm curious about them, and I can't find much on the released sets. Anybody who can help me out?

Some edits, the EU SKU was for Style Savvy 2, the second dragonball set was an EU SKU for Extreme Butoden, and the white monster hunter plates are exclusive of the main 76, so I think that means they were also EU only. I also forgot that one hello kitty set was normal commercial offering, but the other set was exclusive to a JP bundle, and I also forgot two more LEs: one in the Mario DoCoMo plate set, and the other was the EU giveaway of the ambassador edition new 3ds; Those systems have a special set of plates that say Nintendo in big bold kanji on the top plate. Finally, I believe the white mario plates from the U.S. Super Mario series are exclusive to that set; The normal plates that were sold separately were only in black (as well as the pink/blue/wood/felt models).

I'm starting to wonder at this point if I should just write my own guide, I seem to be tracking down most of the releases, at least info about them. Keep hoping there's a wiki somewhere to save me the time.

Since I haven't found anything, I'll note three more I've seen; One is a "kyogre set" which seems to be another Japan-only console bundle, and then another brand-new to my eyes is a South Korean bundle that included exclusive Mario plates. That set of plates sold online recently for 300 bucks, so it's safe to say that they aren't around much in the west. Finally, I've seen pictures of a set related to the Japanese cartoon show "Osomatsu-Kun", probably a tie-in with a video game. I don't think they are part of a bundle but I also haven't seen proof one way or the other.

Edited by koifish
expanded the coverage

5 hours ago, Galdius said:

I would never imagine to be 76 differente plates.

Yeah, and a few of them are crazy expensive. I don't hope to collect a bunch of plastic plates, but it is interesting to me. For a time I was  buying ones I liked via japanese imports; I got rid of them and now I slightly regret it, but I don't really care that much. I have my one favorite set, so it's not all bad. Still, the numerous plates out there make me marvel at what it would be like to try and collect them all unopened, especially all the EU and JP exclusive 3DS bundles.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, koifish said:

You can emulate pretty easily for any system nowadays. NES is super easy but people still pay hundreds of dollars for lots of games. There will be Wii collectors. How many? Who knows.

But yea, there is a crap ton of shovelware. Probably like 99% of the system's library is shovelware. However, there are some gems on the system and very good titles too. Mario strikers charged for example is probably my favorite game on the system and definitely in my top 25 games of all time. And ivy the kiwi and geometry wars galaxies are 2 of my favorite hidden gems on the system. Definitely worth collecting for imo. I need to go back and play through little king's story more. That was a good Pikmin esque game from what I remember.

16 minutes ago, Makar said:

You can emulate pretty easily for any system nowadays. NES is super easy but people still pay hundreds of dollars for lots of games. There will be Wii collectors. How many? Who knows.

But yea, there is a crap ton of shovelware. Probably like 99% of the system's library is shovelware. However, there are some gems on the system and very good titles too. Mario strikers charged for example is probably my favorite game on the system and definitely in my top 25 games of all time. And ivy the kiwi and geometry wars galaxies are 2 of my favorite hidden gems on the system. Definitely worth collecting for imo. I need to go back and play through little king's story more. That was a good Pikmin esque game from what I remember.

For sure.  Most consoles emulate really well.  Even the Wii U has some good options.  If emulation was going to cut collecting that would have happened long ago.  Especially over the last few years with FPGA jailbroken systems and the MiSTer. 

I never really got calling out systems like the N64 or Wii for shovelware.  Maybe it's just me but most system's game quality drops quite a bit after the top 10% of games.  I'm including NES/SNES in that. 

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

For sure.  Most consoles emulate really well.  Even the Wii U has some good options.  If emulation was going to cut collecting that would have happened long ago.  Especially over the last few years with FPGA jailbroken systems and the MiSTer. 

I never really got calling out systems like the N64 or Wii for shovelware.  Maybe it's just me but most system's game quality drops quite a bit after the top 10% of games.  I'm including NES/SNES in that. 

You're spot on with that. I'd even go so far as to say it severely drops after even just the tope 3-5% of games on a system. There usually aren't more than 3-5% great games in a system's library. There are probably 10% good games, and then it really starts falling off after that. If I had to guess, I'd say the Wii only has like 3-4% good games in it's library. I really can't come up with more than 50 that are good games. Then again, I feel like I've only scratched the surface with the 1261 titles it has. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Makar said:

You're spot on with that. I'd even go so far as to say it severely drops after even just the tope 3-5% of games on a system. There usually aren't more than 3-5% great games in a system's library. There are probably 10% good games, and then it really starts falling off after that. If I had to guess, I'd say the Wii only has like 3-4% good games in it's library. I really can't come up with more than 50 that are good games. Then again, I feel like I've only scratched the surface with the 1261 titles it has. 

The Wii IMO has about 8-10%. There are some good undiscovered games but it has the sigma of being a shovelware system people don’t give it a chance. I would venture to say it’s going to be a bear if/when some people go for fullsets. There are some real hard games to find and then you have to verify if it’s a true US release (English only) or a North American release (English and French). There are titles that only comes as North American so it’s a task.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stephbm6 said:

What other 3ds games do you think that will be harder to get then the Atooi collection later on down the road?

For the most part the Atooi Collection are all going to end up in collectors hands and the majority will probably remain sealed. A lot of the other hard to find games have been on the second hand market and went through kids hands, non collectors hands, and GameStop where a lot of them have lost their cases and manuals or just tossed them.

Barbie Gloom and Glam pups definitely will be harder to find barring a reprint or a pallet of new old stock being found IMO. Some I’d say MAY possibly be harder to find complete and definitely sealed would be Alien Chaos 3D, Heavy Fire, Crash City Mayhem,  Girls Fashion Shoot, Fire Emblem Special Edition, FIFA 14, etc...

That’s not to say that I think the Atooi collection will be plentiful. I think it will be up there, but since almost all end up in Collectors hands they won’t be lost and will be well taken care of with the majority remaining sealed.

Edited by DeuceGamer

1 hour ago, Mr. CIB said:

The Wii IMO has about 8-10%. There are some good undiscovered games but it has the sigma of being a shovelware system people don’t give it a chance. I would venture to say it’s going to be a bear if/when some people go for fullsets. There are some real hard games to find and then you have to verify if it’s a true US release (English only) or a North American release (English and French). There are titles that only comes as North American so it’s a task.

Nice! The ones I think are good-great off the top of my head are

Mario kart Wii

Wii sports

Wii play

Smash bros brawl

Pikmin

Pikmin 2

Xenoblade chronicles

Fire emblem radiant dawn

Little kings story

Mario strikers charged

Geometry wars galaxies

Ivy the kiwi

New super Mario Bros

Legend of Zelda twilight princess

Then there are ones I haven't played or other people might think are good like Mario galaxy 1 and 2, the Kirby games, Metroids, the last story, Wii sports resort, donkey Kong, skyward sword, punch out, muramasa, okami, Zack and wiki, castle of shikigami III, and definitely some others I'm missing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. CIB said:

Maybe we should start a Wii topic too, lol... I agree the Wii has more good games then it gets credit for. Sure there are a ton of shovelware games, but you are dead on that it has been labeled a shovelware system so people don’t give it a chance. 

I also think that there is sometimes a difference in what the mainstream market likes and what collectors like after the system is no longer a current gen system. For example, light gun style shooter games which are somewhat prominent on Wii, especially compared to other systems, probably resonate better with collectors then they did with mainstream gaming media that review it originally. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Makar said:

Nice! The ones I think are good-great off the top of my head are

Mario kart Wii

Wii sports

Wii play

Smash bros brawl

Pikmin

Pikmin 2

Xenoblade chronicles

Fire emblem radiant dawn

Little kings story

Mario strikers charged

Geometry wars galaxies

Ivy the kiwi

New super Mario Bros

Legend of Zelda twilight princess

Then there are ones I haven't played or other people might think are good like Mario galaxy 1 and 2, the Kirby games, Metroids, the last story, Wii sports resort, donkey Kong, skyward sword, punch out, muramasa, okami, Zack and wiki, castle of shikigami III, and definitely some others I'm missing.

Oh man my last on the wii because I don't want to get in trouble for derailing the 3DS thread 🙂 but off the top of my head

Tatsunko vs Capcon

Silent Hill Shattered Memories

A Boy and His Blob

Fragile Dreams

Marble Saga

Dawn and Discovery

Red Steel 2

Deadly Creatures

Sin & Punishment 

Conduit

Rune Factory

Dead Space

Klonoa (Ps1 version is expensive and this is suppose to be the better version)

Madworld

• Like 1