IGNORED

Sellers remorse? What's your biggest regret?

Guests · Posted

I don't regret most of my sales, but getting rid of my physical Hyper Light Drifter for PS4 kind of hurt considering how much it's going up in price.

I also want to sell my M.A.C.S. + light gun combo for the SNES, but I have a feeling I'd regret the heck out of it if I let it go.

CIB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut 😭 before the boom on retro games.

Another would be an original Splatterhouse PCB.

Thankfully though I never really went through a "chuck it all out" sort of phase, so it's just been a few here and there, I actually still have the very first ( or at least one of ) games that I had as a kid, the "Not for Resale" cart of Streets of Rage 2 ( not a bad way to start gaming ).

And not seller's remorse, but I bought a sealed Final Fantasy VII Y-Fold way back in the day ( want to say around 2005, maybe even earlier ) with the intentions of keeping it sealed and the seller never sent it ( I believe I was still paying for stuff with money orders at that point ).

And another sad story but not a seller's remorse, back in the day with N64 collecting as a kid I was still very apt to collect things, so I had built up a collection of complete N64 games and had the empty boxes stacked up next to the TV in my room ( had to have been about 20+ ).  One day I get home from school and they're gone, my mom had chucked 'em in the bin and the trash had already been taken out so that was the end of that.  Off the top of my head there would've been some pretty good boxes in there, Goemon's Great Adventure, Snowboard Kids 2, Bomberman: Second Attack.

• Sad 2

I had a bunch of GB/GBC/GBA games that I bought as a kid with paper route money.  I kept all the boxes/manuals in my headboard for years.  I eventually put them in a box in the attic.  When I went to college I brought all of my handheld games with me.  A few years ago I dug the boxes out and found all but 2: Metroid 2 and Mega Man V.  I eventually found both manuals but Mega Man V had the cover missing.  My mom's house got foreclosed 6 months ago and I spent 2 weekends helping her pack and looking for anything from my childhood that I wanted to keep.  Never did find that Mega Man V box and the Metroid box.  I have since replaced the Metroid box but can't afford to replace Mega Man V anytime soon.  

I never really ever have in those decades sold off stuff I cared about, I wisely kept it.  But for those who know me from NA era, it's a re-run.  2005 saw Gateway Country where I did tech repairs fold due to a bad merger that was misrepresented.  I lost my income, then my unemployment, and in turn over a period of a year like ripping off an extra large and sticky band-aid one damn hair at a time, over 80% of a collection that was amassed buying second hand, a small bit of my original stuff, and even more from my time before/around that in the games and game media industry.  It broke me, then I chose not to go overkill, but I did for years seek out what I had, but as prices got cringe worthy I had to get creative.  Last year before the VGS change up I cured all my losses but two, and then the last one going import late last year too for systems and their games.  WHat stands now people will know I pounded into the ground, Aerofighters on SNES and i refuse to pay that value now as I did when it was like $300+ too.  Technically still don't have the cardboard box/tray for Earthbound either but that's fine.

At least I recovered the Virtual Boy and a Duo last year so that's something.  So yeah that's the regret, forced purging by necessity and then being priced out of recovery because I'm not insane to pay that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was a dumb 15 year old kid into the new PS2 craze and went and traded all my PS1 games to Gamestop for newer titles. We're talking Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden II and such. 

Biggest regret I probably have. This was about 3 or 4 years before I started to collect. 

I'm sure I moved on from SNES RPG's like that, but I don't remember when and what happened to them. 

Edited by Nate Nanjo

I had preordered an Animal Crossing Edition Switch from GS since I had $300 in trade credit. It released 3/13, but since my original Switch still worked fine and I'd rather have cash than credit, I sold it off on OfferUp for $370 a couple days later.

Screenshot_20200420-141912~2.png

• Wow! 1

16 hours ago, Aguy said:

I had preordered an Animal Crossing Edition Switch from GS since I had $300 in trade credit. It released 3/13, but since my original Switch still worked fine and I'd rather have cash than credit, I sold it off on OfferUp for $370 a couple days later.

Screenshot_20200420-141912~2.png

Pretty sure this is just temporary hype caused by a combination of FOMO, Covid-19, and shortage of Switch units in the market. It should cool off back to around 400 levels in a few months. Seeing the number of available units on eBay tells me it's not rare nor as limited as people think.

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2020 at 2:10 PM, Jayfate91 said:

I still think about this:

2008 Me: Sold Path of Radiance to a local game store for the 14.99 instore credit.

2016 Me: Buys Path of Radiance CIB for $85

:((

269191094005211.png

I made this exact same trade! But bought it back in 2017 for $95...On the bright side, we don't have to shell out the $175+ that it is going for now 🙂

• Haha 1

I’ve had to sell off some games while needing money for rent/food in grad school. Some retro, some modern. I sold off Hollow Knight for Switch. I must have had seller’s remorse because I had the itch to play it again so I bought it back yesterday.

8 hours ago, Naked Warrior said:

I made this exact same trade! But bought it back in 2017 for $95...On the bright side, we don't have to shell out the $175+ that it is going for now 🙂

Yes! Its really quite shocking how much its gone up. I am not letting go this time around haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...