IGNORED

Sellers remorse? What's your biggest regret?

Hopefully the good outweighs the bad. What items do you regret selling over the years? Here are a few of mine:

1. My childhood NES/SNES. They got mixed with others over the years and eventually sold off. Same goes for many games.
  2. Sealed original Game Boy + Tetris pack in for $250. Not a terrible price when I sold it, but it was immaculate.
  3. Mint CIB Pikachu GBA SP + FireRed for ~$60.
  4. Sealed Zelda II for $200.

When I sold off my original collection, I unfortunately went right for the lil gems.

Gamecube hori Gameboy player boxed, sold for 75$ now they are more like $150-200

Halo edition original Xbox sold for less than 50$ it was mint never used and I was the original owner. I am a fool.

Mountain dew green original Xbox - saved up dew caps and got one also mint unused in shipping container with letter sold for $200 would rather have it now

Xbox Dakota pre release controller (Duke with green jewel) sold for 50$? Another regret.

Famicom mini gba sp, loved the packaging. Sold for 175$ minty. Probably could get this one cheaper now but not same condition.

All my nes carts from early 2000s collecting, I have no idea how much they would have been worth now but mistakes were made.

Loaning anything out to "friends."  As a kid everything was either bought new and kept complete or bought complete off of friends when they were done.  The boxes were kept separately, but all manuals, maps, etc., were kept in the sleeve with the game.  One old/former friend borrowed my copies of Metal Gear and Shadowgate and then ended up moving away over the summer with his parents without ever letting me know or returning my games; I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since it was such an abrupt move, but still annoyed as I've not managed to pick up either of those games in as nice a condition as mine or as complete since.

A definite former friend ended up borrowing a bunch of in demand titles from me late in our high school years, as both he and his mom were avid gamers and she wanted to play some of the games I'd newly picked up from the flea market (Zelda 1 & 2, Dragon Warrior 2, Contra) as well as one I'd had for a few years (Star Wars).  I'd never owned the games I'd picked up at the flea market before (picked up somewhat "expensively" in those days, at $5 each versus 2 for $5, 3 for $10, etc.), so I was initially hesitant, but ended up loaning them out anyway, as we regularly played D&D at his house and I figured I'd be over again soon enough to pick them up.  We were, but when I asked about my games a few weeks later, the guy acted like I was just making stuff up, that he'd never borrowed, let alone asked to borrow, any of the games I'd mentioned, etc.  That pretty much ended that gaming group, as I abruptly left at that point when it was clear I wasn't getting my games back, only to be followed out a few moments later by the rest of the gaming group.  I never talked to that guy again, nor have I loaned out any of my games again past that point.

100% the biggest thing that sticks out in my mind is my loose cart of THPS2 on GBA. Gamestop gave me $0.25 for it. Those bastards.

I wish I still had my childhood stuff, but that's been half sold/half misplaced. I might have some of it but I never kept track of what's what. All my favorite games were Nintendo games I played at my friends house anyway, I didn't have a Nintendo system until N64.

Everything from my childhood. I was a born collector too.  By age 8, unlike all of my friends, I hated frayed edges on baseball cards or bends on the spine of my comic books.  Granted, I had to learn a lot about long term value, but I quickly became picky about condition.

By the mid 90s, I took games out of the boxes, and shelved them.  Left the shrink wrap on too, and only cut open the side. I had a bunch of CIB stuff also for Game Boy and Game Gear and a TON of PS1 RPGs.  I got rid of all of it in college.  I didn't play and I moved on, but only temporarily.

Not only did I lose my childhood, but that stuff was in cherry condition.  I think that's part of why I'm so picky now.  It's not because I was picky then.  It's because I managed to keep some stuff 5-10 years in "perfect" shape so I know it was done.

• Like 1

Selling my collection the first time in 2005.

One resell from the early 2000s I will always remember is a CIB Sqoon I listed for 10 BIN because there were no similar sales so went with cart plus a few bucks. Sold within 30 seconds. Taught me a valuable lesson.

• Wow! 3
  • Sad 2

When I was 12-13yo, me and my brother took our Snes to the flea market in exchange of the Playstation that came out 1-2 years before. I remember the trade didn’t even cover the PS price and we had to add money to the deal.... remember the Snes came with Chrono trigger, ff2, ff3, BoF 1-2, zelda, Mario...

But the saddest part is that I kept the box and manual of those game.. one day, I was cleaning my closet and told myself.. « this is useless and takes space for nothing » then it goes right in the garbage.. damm..

Ebay story is around 15 years ago, I sold a sealed MUSCLE for less that 200$... I'm happy I still have the other copy I had with me!

Edited by TheBiRD

Editorials Team · Posted

I kinda regret selling stuff when I was a kid, but I had to do it to afford other games. Nowadays I can afford them better, even if they're more expensive now. No real ragerts.

But I do regret selling my childhood EarthBound and Harvest Moon as an adult. I would have kept them if they weren't worth three digits each. They haven't even jumped in price since I sold them; the money isn't the regret. But I don't want to shell out for them now, unless they're the copies I had as a kid.

I let a friend borrow dragon warrior 4 and needless to say I never saw it again. It was my childhood copy from funcoland so no box, manuals, or maps. I wish I still had my childhood games but I can afford better stuff now. I started saving everything after 2005 except for the playstation vita. Regretted that so now I have an oled and non oled model. 

38 minutes ago, rorsch said:

Same old story that I've told way too many times. Stadium Events CIB. I paid $5 from a flea market in Crossville around 2003 and got a crap ton of other CIB NES games that day. Sold it a few years later for a few grand when I lost my job.

That is nuts, but it sounds like the money went to good use at the time. At least you weren't the guy selling it for $5.

I sold my lifetime collection of NES/SNES/N64/Gameboy boxes about five years ago for a couple hundred bucks when I was in a jam. I needed to at the time, but these days with the salary I make, and being a credit card owner, it seems really silly that I had to do that.

Also I've always regretted selling my original Xbox in 2005 when I got a 360. At the time I really didn't stop and think how much I had achieved on that hard drive, all the ripped songs, the ghosts, saved records, high scores, etc. So much from 2001-05 wiped out and I think I only sold the Xbox for like $25

Edited by trj22487
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jonebone said:

He still does, I talk to him occasionally on IG. 

I remember him making an account on NA right after he bought it, but I don't think he posted more than once or twice. I don't even know if he is much a a video game collector. From what I remember, he did Lego artwork of MLB players on the side.