IGNORED

NES - Star Code Boxes, Circle-T Manuals, and Star Code Manuals

Hi, the star code is mark to show the first update waiting the final version. The star show clearly where is the first modification on the box, on the manual and on the cartridge. When the star is on the flaps it means that the modification is on the cartridge or on the manual, to make sure to prepare the right package. We can found a star probably on 3/4 games published by Nintendo. Nintendo had knew lot of changement in America (Mexico, USA, Canada (Quebec,FR)) about the different trademark, copyright, ... during the regulatory procedure, Nintendo decided to apply an star to identified the impact on the product until confirmation. Nintendo began not by a star but by asterisk. Found asterisk on 1988 (rade racer). End of 1988 Nintendo, quality&regulatory department need an other symbole because the asterisk could be confusing... boum the star appears... with the 1988/1989 Nintendo.... mark. In 1989 the star was stopped on the flap of the box, but was continued to appear at different place. Found star on Warrior Wood 1994.

in Quebec (Canada), December 22th-1988 law revised about the trademark must be in French. I think this law give a big job for Nintendo. 

lot of star appears with the copyright of other company like RARE, Hudson Soft.... probably Nintendo had difficulty to make sure is the good copyright appellation for each country/state where the games was sold (Canada/USA)

I-e, it’s symbol easy to find with ctrl+F in file or visually on the product. Star code game is just game sold in end of 1988 and begin of 1989. 

It’s my theory... I’m interested by this subject, 

i can send pictures if need!!! Just said me how I can send!!!! 

LittleTom,

• 3 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 11:01 PM, LittleTomNintendo said:

Hi, the star code is mark to show the first update waiting the final version. The star show clearly where is the first modification on the box, on the manual and on the cartridge. When the star is on the flaps it means that the modification is on the cartridge or on the manual, to make sure to prepare the right package. We can found a star probably on 3/4 games published by Nintendo. Nintendo had knew lot of changement in America (Mexico, USA, Canada (Quebec,FR)) about the different trademark, copyright, ... during the regulatory procedure, Nintendo decided to apply an star to identified the impact on the product until confirmation. Nintendo began not by a star but by asterisk. Found asterisk on 1988 (rade racer). End of 1988 Nintendo, quality&regulatory department need an other symbole because the asterisk could be confusing... boum the star appears... with the 1988/1989 Nintendo.... mark. In 1989 the star was stopped on the flap of the box, but was continued to appear at different place. Found star on Warrior Wood 1994.

in Quebec (Canada), December 22th-1988 law revised about the trademark must be in French. I think this law give a big job for Nintendo. 

lot of star appears with the copyright of other company like RARE, Hudson Soft.... probably Nintendo had difficulty to make sure is the good copyright appellation for each country/state where the games was sold (Canada/USA)

I-e, it’s symbol easy to find with ctrl+F in file or visually on the product. Star code game is just game sold in end of 1988 and begin of 1989. 

It’s my theory... I’m interested by this subject, 

i can send pictures if need!!! Just said me how I can send!!!! 

LittleTom,

That's very interesting, from where do  you get your information?

If the star code was indeed put on boxes at the end of 1987 and early 1988, that would make each variant of Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! extremely uncommon because of their short print runs. First we would have the white bullets for only a month or two, then they were swapped to orange. Then we had the orange bullets for a month or two before the REV-A was added to the box which also only lasted a month or two. Then the star code box early 1988 and finally after that we got the oval seal.

This is assuming Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! was actually released on October 18 1987.

• 7 months later...

Super Dodge Ball has a star manual
pyFOytf.png

Also, Dragon Warrior had more revision than just the warranty info between its original release and the update.  There was a beta translation screenshot on the original with poor language that got updated with a final game screen.

Original
Brj4Uij.png

Star (bottom screen is different)
78xXq3c.png

• Like 3

On 4/7/2021 at 1:47 AM, enix2093 said:

Super Dodge Ball has a star manual
pyFOytf.png

Also, Dragon Warrior had more revision than just the warranty info between its original release and the update.  There was a beta translation screenshot on the original with poor language that got updated with a final game screen.

Original
Brj4Uij.png

Star (bottom screen is different)
78xXq3c.png

Thanks. Some day maybe I'll get back to this and update the OP. I have a box variant thread that details this Dragon Warrior screenshot variant and many others. PM me if you need a link.

I've been documenting my 400 NES manuals and there are loads of star codes, many with both star and circle T. I also found a run of Super Mario Bros. 2 that had nothing, then a few months later a star code, then a few months later, a circle T. The star code print run was very short, I'm not sure if it was this short for all manuals.

• 2 weeks later...

The asterisk after the manual's item code simply marked a small revision - the switch from an inserted epilepsy warning sheet to a similar warning within the manual.  This was determined by myself and a few others in the pre-NA days, when we literally compared every page of various manuals to figure it out.  It's why it only appears on some titles, and nothing after a specific date - anything released after the switch wouldn't need a revised manual, as the initial run would have the blurb already.

Any number revision after the code highlights a title-specific change.  There'll be some difference within the manual, which could be as minor as fixing a typo, or something big like the jersey changes on Wayne Gretzky Hockey.  As such, some differences are patently obvious while others are so inconsequential as to completely evade notice.

Also, if I'm just repeating something previously written, my bad.  I just couldn't be arsed to read through four pages of people discussing a mystery that's been solved for a decade and a half 😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe I have a new discovery! I own a star code GP U.S.A. ⭐ CODE OVAL SOQ WITH (TM) under seal. WATA shows the different varieties and I've researched and looked at every one I could find ....to no avail! Every black box Mario with ⭐ code from U.S.A. has the (R) mark and only the Canadian ⭐ code oval SOQ bears the (TM). with this being said..... I have U.S.A. ⭐ CODE REV A OVAL WITH (TM) ...

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS A NEW DISCOVERY?

4 minutes ago, Columbus said:

I believe I have a new discovery! I own a star code GP U.S.A. ⭐ CODE OVAL SOQ WITH (TM) under seal. WATA shows the different varieties and I've researched and looked at every one I could find ....to no avail! Every black box Mario with ⭐ code from U.S.A. has the (R) mark and only the Canadian ⭐ code oval SOQ bears the (TM). with this being said..... I have U.S.A. ⭐ CODE REV A OVAL WITH (TM) ...

1 hour ago, Columbus said:

Step 1: Describe the variant.

Step 2: Tell us which game you're talking about.

You skipped step 2.

• Love 1

46 minutes ago, Columbus said:

That would help ...wouldn't it ...😊 We are speaking about Mario brothers black box U.S.A. ⭐ code. GP Rev-A , oval seal .

Every example of USA ⭐code oval soq I have researched has the (R) mark . Only the Canadian ⭐ code has (TM) . 

Mario Bros. was never released with a star code box.