IGNORED

Game area tour (version 2)

goldenpp72

On 11/6/2019 at 6:18 PM, goldenpp72 said:

They are called Billy book cases from Ikea, which is a pretty popular sort of shelf for collectors. I like them because they are both inexpensive but also very sturdy for the price, you can also buy additional shelves for each case and they have slimmer versions to help fill in unusual gaps. They even sell corner hardware there to help solidify angled shelves into straight ones though I did not need to use them in my house here 😛

Thanks!  When I finally make the move from apartment to house sometime next year, I might have to go that route.  Right now I'm rolling with about 15 Atlantic Oskar 1080s and four walls worth of the Rubbermaid track shelving.  I had previously discounted the Billy's as an option because of their extra depth, but man that's a clean look (and I didn't realize you could order extra shelves so easily). 

Out of curiosity, do you to anything behind the games to keep them all perfectly front-aligned like that?  That's an issue I have with my Rubbermaid track shelves - those are 8 or 9 inches deep, so some games always manage to get pushed in a bit and end up looking misaligned and disorderly.

9 minutes ago, VGCollectaholic said:

Out of curiosity, do you to anything behind the games to keep them all perfectly front-aligned like that?  That's an issue I have with my Rubbermaid track shelves - those are 8 or 9 inches deep, so some games always manage to get pushed in a bit and end up looking misaligned and disorderly.

If not, that is some OCD organization! I need to get some cheap lumber for my Billy's so I can keep games pushed a bit more forward. You can also stack some spare Combat carts behind your games.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VGCollectaholic said:

Thanks!  When I finally make the move from apartment to house sometime next year, I might have to go that route.  Right now I'm rolling with about 15 Atlantic Oskar 1080s and four walls worth of the Rubbermaid track shelving.  I had previously discounted the Billy's as an option because of their extra depth, but man that's a clean look (and I didn't realize you could order extra shelves so easily). 

I do have spacers I use to keep them flush yeah. I use anything from box protectors, thin cardboard peices, broken jewel cases, etc. In the early stages when I had much less space and less cabinets I would just double layer the games by putting less desired stuff behind them. They can fit 2 DVD size cases in a single file if needed. I also put stuff like amiibo boxes or other less fun stuff to display there so it acts as storage without having to throw stuff away 😛

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What shelves are those? They seem to have the absolute perfect depth for most games.

I don't want to ever see a video game on a Billy shelf again XD

EDIT: LOL this question was already answered, and they are in fact Billy >_> I guess you just pulled all the games forward to line up with the edge of the shelf?

Edited by Sumez

28 minutes ago, Sumez said:

What shelves are those? They seem to have the absolute perfect depth for most games.

I don't want to ever see a video game on a Billy shelf again XD

EDIT: LOL this question was already answered, and they are in fact Billy >_> I guess you just pulled all the games forward to line up with the edge of the shelf?

Yep. I tend to use old busted jewel cases/dvd cases, box protectors, or other various junk to keep a backing in place. I do also intend it as a future expansion thing if I ever need more space. Figured i'd put the less desirable stuff in the back since they are basically perfectly space for double layering almost any game. One nice option if you plan that far ahead, if the shelving ends up not against a wall you can not put the backing in and just use it as a double sided cabinet, my fiancee did this with books she has in her own area and once she painted the bare area it looked nice.

Interesting.

My main issue with Billy is that the extra depth either results in double layering like what you're describing (which IMO goes completely against the purpose of using shelves in the first place), or you'll have that awkward empty space in front of the contents of the shelves which very easily ends up being used as spare storage and a general mess, as well as collecting dust.

Even if you do the sensible thing like in your pictures, and push everything forward so it looks really nice, it's still not optimal for those of us who don't have a whole lot of real estate to make use of, essentially taking up twice as much space as it needs.

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Interesting.

My main issue with Billy is that the extra depth either results in double layering like what you're describing (which IMO goes completely against the purpose of using shelves in the first place), or you'll have that awkward empty space in front of the contents of the shelves which very easily ends up being used as spare storage and a general mess, as well as collecting dust.

Even if you do the sensible thing like in your pictures, and push everything forward so it looks really nice, it's still not optimal for those of us who don't have a whole lot of real estate to make use of, essentially taking up twice as much space as it needs.

The other option that still provides a generally pleasant appearance is to push all the games to the back and then display your most valuable/treasured games boxart-forward in that space. 

IMG_20200115_104032.thumb.jpg.f9eb91446e545a55c22275f18a238a05.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Yep that's a good way to go too, I've seen people do a lot of creative setups with it. The added depth is nice because it makes them very sturdy, you don't have to mount them all to walls and can position them in the middle of areas, etc without risk of them falling. They are surprisingly strong for particle board as well.