IGNORED

Star Keeper NES - a copy sold for $450. Wow

acromite53

I was thinking about this last night, without going back to the threads to check. Were the unmarked ones the test runs, or where those the gift editions? Feels like he wanted to make sure checkout and shipping would be okay, then he did the other runs. Need to work, reminder to future self to check later.

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 12:37 AM, DestructoDisk said:

You are more knowledgeable than me on the topic. I was just going by what I read in the thread so far. I thought it said 3 GEs went out, with one those being a confirmed NA member. Maybe more went out after that? And so far from what I read, #1-100 were all LE with the first 20 being custom text. I dont know about non editions.

B8A69CCB-50E1-4FC3-B0D4-A1062B919AF2.jpeg

Thats a cool custom title screen. I wish mine was a custom one. 

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Contact the seller the worst that happens is they don't answer 

Very true,  I suppose I don't really 'need' to know the exact amount. I'm thinking possibly around $1,000. It's really sweet to see this 8-bit creation go up in value.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Mines

12 hours ago, RetroX85 said:

Anyone else see this?  #20 Sold for $2,500?  I've been watching this copy on eBay for quite some time but I didn't think it would actually sell for this amount.  😅

Screenshot_20230106-084329_Chrome.jpg

Best investment ever! I'll finally be able to touch mine in about two weeks.

15 hours ago, RetroX85 said:

Anyone else see this?  #20 Sold for $2,500?  I've been watching this copy on eBay for quite some time but I didn't think it would actually sell for this amount.  😅

Screenshot_20230106-084329_Chrome.jpg

It’s that the one from like Australia or something? He sold the other copy that sold recently for $1,700 as well. I was going to message him to see if that was a serious price or he was waiting for a whale. 

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

It’s that the one from like Australia or something? He sold the other copy that sold recently for $1,700 as well. I was going to message him to see if that was a serious price or he was waiting for a whale. 

Looks like he caught his whale. 😆  that's a lot for this homebrew.  Probably the most I've ever seen. 

Administrator · Posted

It's unfortunate that this one is getting so prohibitively expensive and difficult to obtain, that almost no one will actually get a chance to play it.

Just the way it goes sometimes, of course - not much can be done about that.  It'd be neat if the developer/publisher released a copy for sale that wasn't a collectible, that people could still pay to play the game somehow, but that's really up to them.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

It's unfortunate that this one is getting so prohibitively expensive and difficult to obtain, that almost no one will actually get a chance to play it.

Just the way it goes sometimes, of course - not much can be done about that.  It'd be neat if the developer/publisher released a copy for sale that wasn't a collectible, that people could still pay to play the game somehow, but that's really up to them.

It would be awesome to know of the developer (87 Arts) whereabouts.  We have so many questions for him. 

2 hours ago, spacepup said:

I feel this way about so many of the homebrew / indie games coming out in this day and age. You blink or several people release something at once, and if you can't budget all of the games, you likely have no way to play them ever again. Star Keeper has the price tag behind it, but many others just get locked away in collections and that's even worse - at least Keeper comes up for sale.

38 minutes ago, RH said:

If it manages to go up too much further in value, I could see someone finding a way to modify some emulator to play this.  I'm sure it's not impossible, just time consuming and never under estimate the highly-motivated emulation community.

I'm pretty sure people were looking into dumping this game long before the prices spiked. It's had a lot of buzz even when prices weren't insane. So the motivation's already there.

While I won't say it's impossible, it's got a unique microcontroller setup that makes it a bitch to dump and emulate. While I'm sure there's some mad scientists still poking away at it, it's not exactly something you can just will to get dumped.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure someone will at some point, but we may be looking at Duke Nukem Forever timelines. 😛

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

I'm pretty sure people were looking into dumping this game long before the prices spiked. It's had a lot of buzz even when prices weren't insane. So the motivation's already there.

While I won't say it's impossible, it's got a unique microcontroller setup that makes it a bitch to dump and emulate. While I'm sure there's some mad scientists still poking away at it, it's not exactly something you can just will to get dumped.

I agree. It's not impossible.  Kudos to the person or people that actually can pull it off in the distant future. 

Given this asinine price it and some others also tend to trend toward, I think most but the most die hard of purists and likely the owners too (only due to monetary value) would welcome seeing bootlegs made, the rom open for download, and emulators to run it.

At some point gate keeping just goes too damn far.  When you have an obvious demand for something, and it's being shielded by a tiny set of people in a situation where there's no rational reason for it (it's not the Mona Lisa after all), people are going to get mad, get motivated, and then it will happen.

I get this one game has some unique blocks involved as posted shortly ago, but others have too like Kraut Buster on MVS and others from ngdev too, and it has infuriated a LOT of Neo Geo fans as they can't get the game without paying into the $1000+ level now with some person looking to squeeze it as much as possible out of someone on the after market so it's a gate keeping anger thing going on some time now.  It's harder to dump, not impossible, and no special chips so it will work, so it's more being retained on purpose so people can coin the shit out of people with third party sales.

I'd love to try this one out, and I can think of a few others that aren't even 8bit NES/FC I would too, but same trolling shenanigans where the author doubles down being a stubborn prick and won't make more copies for sale or distribute the file taking a tough shit attitude about it.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'd love to try this one out, and I can think of a few others that aren't even 8bit NES/FC I would too, but same trolling shenanigans where the author doubles down being a stubborn prick and won't make more copies for sale or distribute the file taking a tough shit attitude about it.

I know it seems like it should be more readily available considering it's success as a homebrew. It's just we really don't know if the developer cares to continue releasing more copies.  I honestly think 87 Arts stepped away and moved onto other things in his life. He may not even be aware of the games current circumstances.  

21 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Given this asinine price it and some others also tend to trend toward, I think most but the most die hard of purists and likely the owners too (only due to monetary value) would welcome seeing bootlegs made, the rom open for download, and emulators to run it.

Agreed. Which is a similar reason why I ended up purchasing my PS4 copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake, as opposed to paying eBay prices just to add Intergrade to my PS5 collection. In Japan they put those who were unable to get a PS5, thus not be able to play Intergrade, first by reprinting more copies of Remake. With the ongoing change being that they omitted the "timed exclusive" sticker the previous print had. Which is one of those reasons I respect Square Enix as a company.

Where as situations like this remind me why it is a good thing I am not returning to the Dragon Quest fandom. Gamers, like sellers, put their ideologies before the fandom. And that eventually harms those who work hard to be part of that fandom. Just like those who are baking off this are not only ruining the fun of either owning or playing the game for the hardcore portion of the community, but are also making 87 Arts look bad in the process. 😩

My hope is that they'll reissue it and do so with the new print sporting a different colored case. Or one with both that and a different font color being used on the box. Similar to how Nintendo reissued Mike Tyson's Punch Out! for those who missed out on the first run. But, then again, I am a "fan/collector" first kind of guy.