IGNORED

Star Keeper NES - a copy sold for $450. Wow

acromite53

9 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

You completely discount the fact that without the CIB repros, we wouldn't have CIB homebrews. It's a progression, things start with repros and moved to homebrews. I would assert you don't have one without the other.

This seems like a bit of a ridiculous stance, to me. Maybe you have a better historical record of CIB homebrew vs repros than is immediately coming to mind -- but CIB homebrews hit the scene pretty early on, because decent quality diecutters aren't all that expensive and people were using them for releases nearly from the beginning.

There was definitely a solid period of early homebrew where CIB were generally only for LE's, though, due to perceived price sensitivity.

But there is absolutely nothing about CIB reproductions that was some kind of critical breakthrough for the CIB homebrew to exist in a professional looking form factor.

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

This seems like a bit of a ridiculous stance, to me. Maybe you have a better historical record of CIB homebrew vs repros than is immediately coming to mind -- but CIB homebrews hit the scene pretty early on, because decent quality diecutters aren't all that expensive and people were using them for releases nearly from the beginning.

There was definitely a solid period of early homebrew where CIB were generally only for LE's, though, due to perceived price sensitivity.

But there is absolutely nothing about CIB reproductions that was some kind of critical breakthrough for the CIB homebrew to exist in a professional looking form factor.

I think you just ignored 20 years of hacking, experimentation, and learning. Agree to disagree.

22 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Why do I think they're important? It was never officially confirmed, but I believe they received a Cease and Desist from Nintendo, making them, if that is correct and I am correct, the first know repro maker to be shut down by Nintendo. If Stadium Events is such a big deal to people because it's a "recalled" game, then to me the first company to get shuddered by NoA should be a big deal in the Aftermarket world. Even if that wasn't the case, I think the ripples of them closing went across the internet, whether it was people quitting that business model soon after or people coming in to fill the void they left.

Timewalk were just guys capitalizing on people that would seemingly buy anything at that point in time, that got too big for their own good.

Other than scale, there is nothing particularly special about having Nintendo threaten to shut you down.

Honestly, to me, Timewalks main legacy is one of muddying the waters and causing "brand confusion" for the masses that didn't understand the difference between reproductions and actual homebrew. I don't think that is something that should be celebrated.

Anyway, sorry for inaccurately suggesting that you were into all of their stuff - thought I had a recollection of your name consistently being on one of those repro makers pre-order lists when they'd pop up on NAge.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

Just now, Ferris Bueller said:

I think you just ignored 20 years of hacking, experimentation, and learning. Agree to disagree.

While that certainly applies to the guys learning how to make the games themselves, you are really overblowing what it takes to make a printed box if you think that the repro market (versus homebrew only) was somehow a necessary condition or a critical evolution.

And regardless, I am pretty sure the guys like Vince that were the earliest to diecutting and box printing predated Timewalk even existing.

To each their own, but I consider the boxed repro/hack stuff a novelty at best. I had a couple timewalk games and resold them for what I deemed to be ridiculous prices. I can appreciate all the work someone does to make a rom hack, translation etc.. But I would rather play them on a flashcart. Those companies just profit off other people's work. I also didn't like how at the end of timewalks run they pulled the it was just a hobby and it got to big bullshit. If your making money hand over fist, and Nintendo has to reel your shit in with legal threats, it was a business motherfucker, not a hobby. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Came after, he bought out Timewalk's inventory. Not physical, but the graphic designs and templates. RCG exists because TW didn't.

This is all of the top of my head and could be incorrect, I did not go check any of my records. Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

This is somewhat incorrect.  RCG was more heavily into modded consoles than repro games at first, but they definitely co-existed for a period of time.  

3 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

This is somewhat incorrect.  RCG was more heavily into modded consoles than repro games at first, but they definitely co-existed for a period of time.  

I checked, at least a six month overlap according to the Wayback Machine. But they did buy out TW's digital assets for future releases.

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I checked, at least a six month overlap according to the Wayback Machine. But they did buy out TW's digital assets for future releases.

That's where you got partial credit for your statement!  I seem to recall some of the custom parts for GBAs and Gameboys were getting near impossible to find right around when they started ramping up their repro biz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ill add to the Time Walk discussion. I never bought any of them, but I wanted to. There was then and is now a lot of options for CIB translations and hacks. But nothing to this day has ever compared to the quality and official look (even though they definitely aren’t official) of TW games. Even official stuff released recently on cartridge by big companies that paid for licenses to rerelease games, look like junk compared to TW.

As for Star Keeper, someone PM me if they start going over 1k, and ill think about letting go of mine. Though mine was with the custom message coded. I dont know if that would make it worth more or less. It was for my daughter, but if they get valuable enough, she’d probably enjoy some other things I could buy for her with the cash.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a list of the NA buyers. I found a link to the sale page, but it is broken now. Id like to remember who let me have their Limited edition. I was too late to secure one, and someone else on NA offered to trade their limited edition spot for my standard edition  spot.

Edited by DestructoDisk

Events Team · Posted
47 minutes ago, DestructoDisk said:

Does anyone have a list of the NA buyers. I found a link to the sale page, but it is broken now. Id like to remember who let me have their gift edition. I was too late to secure one, and someone else on NA offered to trade their gift edition spot for my LE spot.

I believe this is what you're after.  @majestyzxobtained one.  Not sure if any other NAers did.

http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview79ae.html?StartRow=1&catid=22&threadid=125036

Edited by JamesRobot

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

I believe this is what you're after.  @majestyzxobtained one.  Not sure if any other NAers did.

http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview79ae.html?StartRow=1&catid=22&threadid=125036

Thank you. I guess I meant I was looking for the person who gave me their LE text. I forgot what the different versions were. @neodolphinowas the person who was so gracious to me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Interesting. I had it down as 16 GEs, 100 LEs, and 6 that had no edition.

You are more knowledgeable than me on the topic. I was just going by what I read in the thread so far. I thought it said 3 GEs went out, with one those being a confirmed NA member. Maybe more went out after that? And so far from what I read, #1-100 were all LE with the first 20 being custom text. I dont know about non editions.

B8A69CCB-50E1-4FC3-B0D4-A1062B919AF2.jpeg

Edited by DestructoDisk