Jump to content
IGNORED

Console Debate #26 Super Nintendo/Super Famicom


How do you rate SNES?  

74 members have voted

  1. 1. How do you rate SNES?

    • 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
      0
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
      0
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
      0
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
      0
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
      0
    • No interest in it.
      0

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/14/2021 at 07:00 AM

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spot-on. Two shoulder buttons are great. Four face-buttons are great. But two shoulder buttons AND four face buttons is overkill for most games. That may be the case, but to be fair its major c

The SNES has one redeeming feature, so I think it's definitely a 2/10. Here is its redeeming feature: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Contra III, Kirby 3, Kirby Super Star, Turtles in Time, Super Metroid

Fair point Reed, but my primitive brain just can't make sense of all those buttons.  This is what I see when I pick up a 6-button control pad... -CasualCart

Posted Images

16 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Honestly? Both are logical. You just don't know me well enough to realize it. 😅

In the end... My lack of money prevented me from knowing where to buy my games. It doesn't matter when I got it, as the lack of said hunt had made most of my memories feel dull. And boring. To the point even the games I would have mentioned are not worth talking about now.

And the second penalty is similar to how I feel being here right now. As in that sting you cannot remove as long as there is no available alternative. In all cases this is also a driving factor to the fact my collection is more of a narration to who I am than just me collecting games. And that situation is one that Nintendo has yet concluded with a Switch port.

In the end...

PRE-EMULATION DAYS: 8/10
EMULATION DAYS: 7/10

PRO: I did manage to own or borrow a few gems.

CON: It has me prefer the SFC library for multiple reasons.

Yeah I don't, as it seems entirely irrational.  I totally am on board with the lack of funds problem, and damn that tax change I'll be screwed again come next year or after depending how I bleed it off.  The when I was questioning was the dollar dumper days or like 2012-present when things got sickening as that would make a huge difference.  Rentals, 2 for $5 or $5 or a dollar at a garage sale you can go nuts and explore even if you're on a kids allowance in the 90s, but $5 won't barely get a retched sports game now, anything good is more, even the B level stuff. 😄  Where clearly would be an issue too, if you had no access to classified ads, garage sales, flea markets, etc that's a problem too.

The other parts, that makes more sense.  Ooooof don't remind me of the SFC library. 😕  The horror, each time i feel weak and look up the games I used to own, then realize most of them are disgusting priced now where even a loose one is more than I paid for complete copies.  Damn I'd love to have my old SFC library again, and despite having a flash kit, I don't even bother it doesn't feel right.

And you're right, this isn't a cookie cutter site, it's why I bothered coming back with the name/location change.  No antisocial media crap, no me-too or here comes the lord of the flies crew, and other dumb stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Californication said:

I wasn't trying to offend you. You do you.

Thanks.

And sorry for the high anxiety. Lets just say dealing with 20+ years of being told who to be and how to act has taken a toll on my soul. I'll leave it at that. 

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I don't, as it seems entirely irrational.  I totally am on board with the lack of funds problem, and damn that tax change I'll be screwed again come next year or after depending how I bleed it off.  The when I was questioning was the dollar dumper days or like 2012-present when things got sickening as that would make a huge difference.  Rentals, 2 for $5 or $5 or a dollar at a garage sale you can go nuts and explore even if you're on a kids allowance in the 90s, but $5 won't barely get a retched sports game now, anything good is more, even the B level stuff. 😄  Where clearly would be an issue too, if you had no access to classified ads, garage sales, flea markets, etc that's a problem too.

My area had none of those. Back then the only video game stores I had were in neighboring cities, with very little help from the employees. With both garage sales and every swap meet I did find offering nothing in regards to games worth buying. Same with comic conventions I used to visit.

But after seeing this tweet I now plan to visit as many Hard Offs as I can when I can afford to return to Tokyo (for business/birthday reasons). If I can buy this I'll reinstate those 2 points to my final score. 😁

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

The other parts, that makes more sense.  Ooooof don't remind me of the SFC library. 😕  The horror, each time i feel weak and look up the games I used to own, then realize most of them are disgusting priced now where even a loose one is more than I paid for complete copies.  Damn I'd love to have my old SFC library again, and despite having a flash kit, I don't even bother it doesn't feel right.

I can relate. A part of me regrets getting rid of what I did have in regards to my Biohazard collection, as well a few other gems I did have. But if it does help, I do plan to revisit Mandarake's Galaxy shop in Nakano Broadway. And I'll see if they have any CIBs that are not disgustingly overpriced this year. 👍

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

And you're right, this isn't a cookie cutter site, it's why I bothered coming back with the name/location change.  No antisocial media crap, no me-too or here comes the lord of the flies crew, and other dumb stuff.

The funny thing is that I found NA while looking for VGA game collectors. My other option was another site that offered a horribly written, biased bit on how VGA was a scam, etc. I got enough of that in 2012 alone when a Transformers' fan site founder exonerate his key info guy... Who spent three hours harassing and berating me. On my birthday. 😐

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No one's arguing the SNES isn't a more capable console than the MegaDrive. It just outclasses it in every way. I'd even say you could replicate the clear FM sound sort of well using clever samples on SNES, even if few games did. (example here). And even the never-ending "CPU speed" argument is such a non-issue on almost every occasion. You can't possibly compare their numbers directly.

That said, at the end of the day, Bloodlines still looks and sounds better than Castlevania IV if you ask me. It's just a super well crafted game, and you can't really compete with a Michiru Yamane sountrack

Dracula XX however, that's a different matter. That game both looks and sounds fantastic.
 

v6OsmEB.png

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sumez said:

No one's arguing the SNES isn't a more capable console than the MegaDrive. It just outclasses it in every way.

Almost every way.

 

 I'm tired of these clunky 8-bit games

I need to find a system that's true 16 bit

I need to get one pretty quick

Hey mister, what'cha got out on that shelf you can sell me right away

Maybe a console that does what Nintendon't

The kind that makes you think you brought the arcades home

Color palette don't matter, no I don't need no Mode 7

All that really concerns me is:

Speeeeeed, and how fast can it go

Can it get me over da loops quickly

Blast processing can it outrun that fat plumber

Yeah what I really need, is a blue hedgehog

And a whole lotta speed

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Estil said:

Almost every way.

 

 I'm tired of these clunky 8-bit games

I need to find a system that's true 16 bit

I need to get one pretty quick

Hey mister, what'cha got out on that shelf you can sell me right away

Maybe a console that does what Nintendon't

The kind that makes you think you brought the arcades home

Color palette don't matter, no I don't need no Mode 7

All that really concerns me is:

Speeeeeed, and how fast can it go

Can it get me over da loops quickly

Blast processing can it outrun that fat plumber

Yeah what I really need, is a blue hedgehog

And a whole lotta speed

 

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

And even the never-ending "CPU speed" argument is such a non-issue on almost every occasion. You can't possibly compare their numbers directly.

The two CPUs are very comparable in speed, with the MegaDrive doing certain actions faster, while the SNES suffers a bigger bottle neck from memory access. People will push clock speed numbers at you with no idea what they actually mean - "look, the 68000 CPU is clocked twice as fast!", yeah well, a simple move/store instruction only takes 4-5 cycles on SNES, but 8-20 on a megadrive. It's just not that clear cut.
I'd say the MegaDrive does have a slight advantage overall, but it's not one that'll have a notable effect on the games you play on it.

Considering how lazily optimized most games on both consoles were, CPU speed definitely isn't the worst bottleneck, and a huge majority of notable examples of slowdown seen on either console could have easily been avoided given more time/skill/budget/actually caring.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

My area had none of those. Back then the only video game stores I had were in neighboring cities, with very little help from the employees. With both garage sales and every swap meet I did find offering nothing in regards to games worth buying. Same with comic conventions I used to visit.

But after seeing this tweet I now plan to visit as many Hard Offs as I can when I can afford to return to Tokyo (for business/birthday reasons). If I can buy this I'll reinstate those 2 points to my final score. 😁

I can relate. A part of me regrets getting rid of what I did have in regards to my Biohazard collection, as well a few other gems I did have. But if it does help, I do plan to revisit Mandarake's Galaxy shop in Nakano Broadway. And I'll see if they have any CIBs that are not disgustingly overpriced this year. 👍

The funny thing is that I found NA while looking for VGA game collectors. My other option was another site that offered a horribly written, biased bit on how VGA was a scam, etc. I got enough of that in 2012 alone when a Transformers' fan site founder exonerate his key info guy... Who spent three hours harassing and berating me. On my birthday. 😐

Ooof that sucks.  Growing up I had it better than most before hitting 18.  I had a decent allowance, and timing as it was the shit we put up with now in games, local trolls ruined for me as a kid were comics and baseball cards, buying everything up, walking to their stores and charging through the nose.  So I basically just put my whole few bucks a week or so as I grew it grew into games.  I could get a few a year, and b'day/christmas netted a few more so usually in a console generation (NES, SNES) I ended up with maybe 40 games or so.  I didn't have the issue.  At 18 discovered a shop a couple miles off I mentioned before with lots of everything US and JP, and most was like $5/game, worst case was $50 for a couple items, remaining higher most under $10 or 20, so it wasn't hard.  That's what worked for me, then ebay(auctionweb) too in 1997. Towards moving away a bookoff opened up in San Diego so that was a blast for import, domestic(some) and manga, I'd drive down 2-3x a month, also had a ranch market with randomness.  When I had been back there(NA era) for 3 years the flea was prolific, and those places still existed too.  I never had to rent or borrow.  But Hard Off, you must check that if you're capable.

You get it, that sucks.  I personally love-hate Biohazard/RE.  I just can't get around the traditional shit control, camera, ribbon cable thing, so I never go far in any, do like 2 but never finished it (Codename Veronica too.)  I did really like Revelations.  I'd hate to have all that RE games/merch go up in smoke basically being sold off.  See what you can do, maybe even find a fuzzy plush zombie or something. 😉

Not sure what to say about that last part but ugh, that's not right and rough.  Transformer people can be aw awful or worse the gaming ones.  So many more unique bits, pieces, variants and other stuff to go wrong about and get hot over.  I've been systematically dismantling my G1 collection, about 70% of it is gone now from what was there before the virus hit.  Right now i'm watching my PP totals like a hawk(well mostly ebay, I do little off that) and I'm going to push my 2021 limit to the max, if there's room, more G1s to follow.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sumez said:

No one's arguing the SNES isn't a more capable console than the MegaDrive. It just outclasses it in every way. I'd even say you could replicate the clear FM sound sort of well using clever samples on SNES, even if few games did. (example here). And even the never-ending "CPU speed" argument is such a non-issue on almost every occasion. You can't possibly compare their numbers directly.

That said, at the end of the day, Bloodlines still looks and sounds better than Castlevania IV if you ask me. It's just a super well crafted game, and you can't really compete with a Michiru Yamane sountrack

Dracula XX however, that's a different matter. That game both looks and sounds fantastic.
 

v6OsmEB.png

I still think the Bloodlines level design, bosses, two character availability put it was above Dracula X.

  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sumez said:

That said, at the end of the day, Bloodlines still looks and sounds better than Castlevania IV if you ask me. It's just a super well crafted game, and you can't really compete with a Michiru Yamane sountrack.

To be fair, Castlevania IV was a very early game on the console (1991), while Bloodlines came several years later (1994), so it does have that benefit.

But yeah, all 3 are among the best games on their respective consoles. Man, early Castlevania was the tits!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really my favorite, but it would be pretty hard to find zero games you like for it. I prefer NES so I'll put it at 8/10. I would liked it more if it had been given a faster processor and thus more action games. Many of the big games are sort of a slog to me (Zelda 3, metroid 3, the unending RPGs) and I suspect that the processor might be part of it. Also, Mario world is the first mario that I think is entirely too easy.

  • Eyeroll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

To be fair, Castlevania IV was a very early game on the console (1991), while Bloodlines came several years later (1994), so it does have that benefit.

But yeah, all 3 are among the best games on their respective consoles. Man, early Castlevania was the tits!

All the Castlevanias on 16-bit have their own merits. They shouldn’t be judged against each other, they should be appreciated for what each one brings to the table.

Super Castlevania is a tech demo. It was a launch title that basically uses every graphical rendering technique the SNES has to offer. It shows off the capabilities of the SNES.

Bloodlines brings innovation to the series. An alternative gameplay style is introduced. A new set of controls is available for the classic play style. A new storyline is introduced. New roster of weapons, newly introduced blood/gore graphics. Everything is fresh and new on Sega.

Dracula X brings it back to classic NES gameplay. But it’s ultra polished. They remixed the CD tracks from PC Engine into SNES tracks. They tried to go with a more progressive late-SNES art style for the backgrounds and foregrounds to make things feel newer. I personally liked the PC engine game better but the SNES version has its own charm.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If this isn't the greatest console of all time, it's the 2nd best console of all time. Objectively, it is a console with a library as deep as any other console and the 16bit style has been replicated and built upon since it's introduction. 

Easily a 9, arguably a 10, objectively one of the best consoles and libraries in existence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...