IGNORED

Gameboy Game Catalog.

Hi fcgamer, and hi everyone else,

To begin, it's me who wrote the introduction message and english is not my native language, i'm sorry if something seems arrogant in this. And second thing, i'm sorry again for not answering you by PM after my demand, i was very busy and it appeared that unlicenced games took a very little place in the book. But i'm a little surprised about the fact you tell that the 4 in 1 games are for GBC, why do you tell that ?

Now, speeking about the legitimity of the book, as Guigui48 said, we are french collectors ok, but we collect GB games until more than 10 years and making lists of what we find until that time (for me at least). I don't understand why not speaking with you or RpgCollector or JVOSS before is a proof of poor quality of the book ? I'm sorry but here it seems that it's you who is arrogant, thinking that American collectors are on the top of all others. The main goal of the book is to make a list of all official release in every localisations (USA but also FAH, FRG, SCN and so on). Where we think to be almost and not completely exhaustive is on the number of games in each localisations and the reeditions with -1, -2... in each of them. For all the other variants, we speak about them at the end of the book without providing any list, just showing that it exists and if the guy who read the book want to dig, he can ! 

Anyway, i want to be friendly with all of you here, i'm sorry if something bothered you. Don't hesitate to tell us, we can still change some things in the book if you want that it looks more accurate ! But we are limited also in the number of pages that we can't increase anymore... But for example, if you want to correct something i wrote on the Sachen section, don't hesitate to tell me ! It's true that i think that the 4 in 1 compilations are from GB and not GBC.

Again, i'm open to discussion, don't hesitate 🙂

Edited by rpghcg

20 minutes ago, rpghcg said:

I don't understand why not speaking with you or RpgCollector or JVOSS before is a proof of poor quality of the book ? I'm sorry but here it seems that it's you who is arrogant, thinking that American collectors are on the top of all others.

Not at all, maybe I hold American passport but I have lived away from America for about a decade.

My point in the matter is that every country / region has several "big name" collectors. With a project of this scope, if you honestly do want to strive for 100% completion, then you should reach out to all major collectors from all regions. It's not about whether one region's collectors are "higher" than others or not.

For example, when I was researching my book, I connected with the largest collectors in Taiwan, as well as large collectors in Poland, China, Korea, Thailand, Argentina, Chile, Russian, etc. It was for the sake of cross-referencing lists, etc.

So I personally just think not reaching out to these two fine gentlemen was a bit of a disservice, as if I were striving for 100% I'd definitely try to reach out to all major collectors in all regions. This is just my opinion though.

Ok i understand better your point and i think you're right. Even if we didn't spoke with them, i spoke a lot with big American collectors at the time of NA and we cross-referenced our lists more than one time actually. These collectors stopped to collect so they are not here anymore. What you say is the most important part for global listing of course, i'm agree with it !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rpghcg said:

Ok i understand better your point and i think you're right. Even if we didn't spoke with them, i spoke a lot with big American collectors at the time of NA and we cross-referenced our lists more than one time actually. These collectors stopped to collect so they are not here anymore. What you say is the most important part for global listing of course, i'm agree with it !

If you read earlier messages from above, some of the collectors I mentioned earlier said that they based their lists on other lists. I think the NA lists are very outdated.

Also, with the unlicensed and homebrew stuff: I know I'm in the minority here, but I personally feel this stuff should be included in it's entirety, with variants and the whole thing, rather than just including a few or a small blurb and calling it a day.

This is just my personal opinion though, sometimes I can be critical but ultimately I hope it leads to the best product possible, so although I know it's easier said than done, please don't take any criticism personally.

Hi Fcgamer and thanks for your answers !

As we said, we only speak about official releases (with nintendo seal of quality, except for Brazil)

To complete RPGHCG, I can tell you that we know a lot of serious american collectors. And american collectors helped us with the game boy database.

It was said later that 30% of the american catalog was missing, I think he was speaking about boxes, and that's right. But boxes are the website's goal. Not this book.

if it can help, I can give you how many cartridges we found out. For the american area (USA, not including "not for resale", not including 2 player logo changes,misprints,...) we found out 614 cartridges.

Regards !

Edited by dmgdatabase
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rpghcg said:

Hi fcgamer, and hi everyone else,

To begin, it's me who wrote the introduction message and english is not my native language, i'm sorry if something seems arrogant in this.

Hi rpghcg, 

I would recommend enlisting a native English speaking editor to edit and localize the English language portions of your book. This would go a long way. 

Also, if you have any intention of possibly making a newer edition in the future, I’d recommend taking a humble approach to the introductory statement by not insisting on the completeness of this book. Just say something subjective like “it’s the most comprehensive work that has been published to date.” Don’t mention how objectively complete it is in terms of percentages. This wording of this opening statement will carry a lot of weight with collectors and may determine whether someone will support it or not.

For reference, you might want to review the opening statements in other archival references. One such example is “The Guidebook to United States coins”, they’ve already had 74 revisions, so the opening statement has been written well by now. 
8E294518-02AD-4773-9A74-14FF1EF0D112.thumb.jpeg.3a7bad5f3164a37b632392d2836035b8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 6:30 PM, fcgamer said:

My point in the matter is that every country / region has several "big name" collectors. With a project of this scope, you should reach out to all major collectors from all regions.

you are saying that as if you expect them to know EVERY GB collector in existence.....

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Friendsfa35 said:

you are saying that as if you expect them to know EVERY GB collector in existence.....

Well I can't comment for them or their strategies, but yeah, for a project like this, I think it's definitely a wise approach to know the large players from all regions...

With my particular expertise, bootleg Famicom collecting, I know the big names from around the world, and have chatted with a large portion of them at length too. It comes with the research, tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

TO all:  The Game Boy Cartridge Collection Catalog is live on kick starter!!!!!   the authors will be doing a English version also. (So Looking forward to this).   Go Support this!!!  they plan on providing more info here soon so look for it.

side note.  they made goal in less then 2 days and that was with French only just think what will happen when the English version goes. they have 3 levels. I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the quality of photos and the unknowns that are out there. 

Edited by JVOSS

7 hours ago, JVOSS said:

TO all:  The Game Boy Cartridge Collection Catalog is live on kick starter!!!!!   the Anthers will be doing a English version also. (So Looking forward to this).   Go Support this!!!  they plan on providing more info here soon so look for it.

side note.  the made goal in less then 2 days and that was with French only just think what will happen when the English version goes. they have 3 levels. I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the quality of photos and the unknowns that are out there. 

I thought this had both French and English text? Is there a separate English version?

@rpghcg