IGNORED

TurboGrafx LOVE (and all NEC love in general)

TurboGrafx is my favorite system of all time and I feel it doesn't get enough love on here so I am starting this thread.  Mods let me know if this is a duplicate thread.  It seems TurboGrafx is hotter than ever right now and with the upcoming release of the Analogue DUO I think it is only gonna get hotter.  Plus there are a ton of super rare games and systems to collect and a ton of confusion around system cards, attachments, region lock outs, and such that I think this would be a good place to ask questions and get some clarity.  

Also please show off your Turbo games and systems.  Gex I know you have some diamonds coming our way.  I'll start with some pics of my collection.

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

43 minutes ago, attakid101 said:

A few years ago I had to make a choice, TurboGrafx or Sega Saturn—couldn’t afford both. I picked the Saturn and am left to wonder, “what if?”

sigh....

Should have picked Tg-16! It always felt way more exotic to me. Like I actually knew one or two kids that had a saturn, but never even saw a tg-16 or games when i was a kid. That I can remember. 

I was pretty lucky finding Tg16 stuff in the wild back in the day. The only US HuCard I'm missing is Magical Chase (of course) and I found a few foreign and CD releases, too. About 30% of the cards are loose, though, and I have very few of the cardboard boxes, but prices are too silly to go chasing them. Never lucked upon any way to play the CDs, either.

Heh I'm on my 2nd round of ownership of NEC goodies.  The original go around was a US Duo I got back in the day from TZD.com and I had a good many CDs (JP+US) and then a decent few dozen or so turbochips, all of them complete, I never bought loose of any of it.  Back then, was able to get quite a lot from a local shop, cheap, had a good supply and the rest from tzd mainly.  All of it went bye bye 15 years ago.

Then I guess 4 years ago now, I decided with a nice sized giftcard credit card I got a Core Grafx2 from overseas with a few hucard only games, misc for real cheap ($50) and I got in before the pCE started turning into a dumpster fire due to people jumping into the market more due to the ugly US prices that really kicked off a decade ago now.  I ended up having upgraded to a Duo(JP, fully modded/upgraded short of regionlock) and quite a few CDs, a few I used to have too, and a nice library of hucards (mostly complete.)

But I don't have the time to be fair to it so I've sold off the Duo so far, most discs other than Drac X, Gradius 2, and Ys 1+2, and I've kept around 25~ hucard games, most are complete.  I've been contemplating selling it to be honest, but I'm just not motivated to as I do like the thing if I'd bother to make time.  There has been the consideration of getting that analogue duo since I'm sure it'll get a ROM jailbreak for card+ISO stuff or just giving up and getting that Core Grafx2 MINI because many of the greats are on that already and is more than enough to satisfy.

Nothing like the best Castlevania ever on a PVM via an RGB modded DUO RX.  Gaming wise, it doesn’t get much better than this.  And the picture doesn't do the image quality justice.  I was in a rush and still haven't figured out the best way to capture a CRT picture as, anyone that has tried surely knows, it is not easy with CRTs.

D4BA5A6F-BF3D-42BC-B40A-AB9A362CA30A.jpeg

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 3

How does that region mod work? Some kind of advanced mapper chip inserted into the console between the card slot and the PCB?

40 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

Best Castlevania ever.  Yeah I said it, go ahead and fight me.

Why would anyone fight you on that 😄 Rondo is pretty commonly recognized as, if not one of the best in the series, then the one with the broadest appeal.
I might prefer CV3 to it, but it's really irrelevant. I'd be totally on board with Rondo being the best, it's amazing.

20 minutes ago, Sumez said:

How does that region mod work? Some kind of advanced mapper chip inserted into the console between the card slot and the PCB?

Why would anyone fight you on that 😄 Rondo is pretty commonly recognized as, if not one of the best in the series, then the one with the broadest appeal.
I might prefer CV3 to it, but it's really irrelevant. I'd be totally on board with Rondo being the best, it's amazing.

Ok well you think like me then.  All my local friends always say SotN.  I like that game but they messed with the OG Castlevania formula too much IMO.

As far the the region mod questions goes...  I have no idea honestly.  I sent it out to have it done with the S-Video mod.  I know an NEC expert if anyone wants any work done on their system.  He is very reasonably priced too.

Edited by tbone3969

I'd fight it, being one of, sure, THE...nope.  It's subjective.

The region mod basically is a switch, a digital switch.  HuCards and TurboChips have the same pins, in theory, but they don't read 1-1 2-2 3-3... along the chain as I think I remember being told, one or more of those are swapped, a cheapo ghetto way to region lock it.  So when you get either a region switch (a tiny chip with a couple wires attached to those points on the board/pin reader) you can pop the power off, flip the switch, turn it on, and it'll read the game from that region.

The everdrive is the same, but its switch is on the card, an actual literal little black switch you must flip with it not powered up.  So whatever system you use, you flip the switch that way, it works, you don't, it won't.  That's why when you see people selling modded systems, the melt/cut a little hole in the side of it, or hide it in the side of the cart slot, and you flip that first, then pop the game in and play.

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumez said:

This is the one I have installed:
https://www.game-tech.us/product/turbo-duo-pc-engine-region-mod-kit/

Pins 15 - 23 are reversed between Turbo Chips and Hu Cards.  The region mod interrupts those pins on the console slot and can  reverse them with a flip of a switch.  The mod is internal, besides the toggle switch, you wouldn't know from the outside that the console has been modded.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

Who yes it is.  Gotta love the briefcase set up.  I mean how cool of a design is that.  Kudos to NEX on this one.  Mine is S-Video modded and region modded. 

FFB7964E-B158-40BF-A1EB-FBB2179A6AF9.jpeg

Thats one of my “grail” wants. I know i could just drop 300$ on a japanese seller, but that feels too easy.