IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

9 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@samsamsamsmasmasma, sorry that is incorrect.  the list only has 4 there is a 5th as photoed.

One is included in the base set of 506 and is not included as a variant.  Whichever one you want to consider in the base set, doesn't matter.. Likely the one that's not currently on the checklist. There are only 4 variants which I've already included in my count.

Edited by samsamsamsmasmasma

On 1/16/2021 at 1:48 PM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

I would say this is incorrect. The list in the initial post has a count of 120 variants.  There has been 8 new variants that have been brought out over the past 2ish months which I have attached a photo that I personally have on hand. The would bring the total to 128.

However, the initial count of 120 includes 5 entries that I would include in the base set of 506

DuckTales ('DMG' Label)
Q Billion (Black Nintendo Logo)
Rescue of Princess Blobette, The (Error Serial No.)
Space Invaders: The Arcade Game    DMG-SP-USA-1
Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman! Rev-1    

https://imgur.com/a/6FHKkcb

So my variant count is 123. That Yoshi one is interesting if we decide to count it that would make the count 124. I have the translucent one in my collection. I do see a few of the non-translucent ones listed. This does appear a potential border case in my opinion, mostly because I don't want to look for others. What is also interesting about the Yoshi one is that the cropping is different between the two. I'm not sure if this just happens typically between production runs or not. The variant count is back up to 10 million

P67uvSx.jpg

gp5SVee.jpg

I have decided when ever someone shows me something in this thread I did not know about, I will return the favor. Super rare Balloon Kid variant

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 5:10 AM, RH said:

Sunsoft and Electrobrain are the only two companies that I've noticed re-releasing games.  Of the two, and the many carts I tested, it doesn't seem they ever took the time to update the ROMs.  And that makes sense.  These companies were simply buying the rights to finished software and only making the minimal changes to get them out the door. Plus, they probably saved a lot of money not buying the source from these original original studios and just buying rights to use and modify the packaging/branding material and just rereleasing the final build ROM.

You also had SVG Distribution re-release games. They only changed the boxes/manuals. Nothing else. Most of the Absolute GB games were re-released by them.

6 hours ago, RpgCollector said:

I have decided when ever someone shows me something in this thread I did not know about, I will return the favor. Super rare Balloon Kid variant

I'm guessing that the ic is a 96-97 can you give pic of insides?

also this is on of the games that was in the zoned it was originally released in 1990

Edited by JVOSS

Bruh reveal all of your secrets. I need the instant gratification. This slow burn is making my edge game strong though

Anyone willing to play the lottery in this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Balloon-Kid-Nintendo-GameBoy-Classic-66/164194569720?hash=item263ac24df8:g:PcQAAOSwKGxfxU8e

35 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Bruh reveal all of your secrets. I need the instant gratification. This slow burn is making my edge game strong though

Anyone willing to play the lottery in this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Balloon-Kid-Nintendo-GameBoy-Classic-66/164194569720?hash=item263ac24df8:g:PcQAAOSwKGxfxU8e

its a one in a billion shot. but hay...

On 1/16/2021 at 1:13 PM, JVOSS said:

New Find to be discussed as to if an error or a variant.

The Yoshi catalog code DMG-YO-USA.

while look at the labels for the 2 player link logo i can across Yoshi that had a translucent outer edge of the game pac logo. at first i thought this was normal but after look around the later prints have a non translucent boarder. 

i was thinking this might just be a play on the lighting.  so had to order one.  it arrived yesterday and it is confirmed that the one i received is no longer translucent..

as for images.20210116_130106.jpg.aded0fbf6c3716c7bc3781b6c3325324.jpg

20210116_130130.jpg

20210116_130124.jpg

Looks like I have the "Transparent Game Link Icon" variant of the cart. Pretty interesting. 

20210123_081546.jpg

20210123_081705.jpg

One thing I've always noticed is that most of the DMG-BEAN(K)-02 boards are manufactured in November 1995, and then attached to them is a ROM chip with a year of 1996 (and with the letters in the circle usually being Hs). Sometimes they manufacture it in 1995, and sometimes 1996, but most of the time when it's manufactured in 1995, it's November. How come?

• 2 weeks later...

Idk but it almost looks like the difference between these labels is one is more transparent. Even with the solid looking logo you can still see slight color variations of the background underneath. Could it possibly be just a result if disproportionate fading? It does still bring in to question why you don't see this on other releases.

20210208_180119.jpg

20210208_180049.jpg

Editorials Team · Posted
On 2/8/2021 at 6:06 PM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Idk but it almost looks like the difference between these labels is one is more transparent. Even with the solid looking logo you can still see slight color variations of the background underneath. Could it possibly be just a result if disproportionate fading? It does still bring in to question why you don't see this on other releases.

I agree, I'm not 100% convinced this is an intentional variant and not just a different print run.

17 hours ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Wow.. such revision.. how has this one not been documented yet?

Screenshot_20210213-072711_Mercari.jpg

Nice! Especially getting it from that seller. They generally overprice everything way too much so it's nice to steal it from under their noses haha.

3 hours ago, JVOSS said:

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  do you have this in you hands yet?

Nope. I think he posted it right after purchasing. It should arrive sometime next week I guess.