IGNORED

Which Atari 2600 is the best model console to get, and how can you identify one if it looks similar to others?

RH

I know I've mentioned in the past that the Atari 2600 doesn't hold much weight for me as an enjoyable system for me.  That said, I did have one as a kid and I can still appreciate the thing for it's historical importance, and can even enjoy playing it from time to time, even if that is once a year.

But even though I've felt that way for the past 5 years since I started collecting, I've yet to get a 2600.  I think that time has come, however, I want the "best model".  I prefer older/original over newer, unless the newer stuff is has a greater build quality.  I still have no clue, though, what the best model is for the 2600.

So you Atari guys (or gals) in picking up a 2600 in nice condition, which is the model to get.  I've always been fond of the "heavy sixer" but even those can be a bit diverse.  What are my best options, what should I look for to make sure I get the model I'm after and are there any other details I need to be aware of.  Thanks!

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

Just now, DefaultGen said:

They're all RF garbage, so just get a heavy sixer with it's chonkier build quality and better switches. The most functional might technically be a 7800 I guess, but it's an ugly POS.

The "best" might be a Collectorvision Phoenix or MiSTer if you're into modern nonsense.

Naaaaah... I'm OG legit, or go home!

Just now, RH said:

Naaaaah... I'm OG legit, or go home!

EDIT

might consider a 7800 if they aren't too expensive.  However, don't those have power adapter problems and new ones are hard to come by due to some molex-like connector?

The main models are (with piktars!):

Sunnyvale built "heavy sixxer" six switch from 1977. Most sought after high production model, so you'll pay more for this one.

sys_AtariVCS.jpg

Hong Kong built "light sixxer" from 1978-1979, looks nearly identical on first glance.

sys_AtariVCSB.jpg

Four switch from 1980-1981. Not as iconic, but probably most affordable of the woodgrain ones. It's actually still a six switch console, but the difficulty switches were moved to the back.

sys_AtariVCSC.jpg

Darth Vader from 1982-1984. Built to fall in line with the 5200 design scheme. Internally, it's the same as the four switch, and is probably around the same price. This was the first to be sold under the 2600 name, rather than the VCS name.

sys_Atari2600.jpg

2600 jr from 1986-1991. Probably the cheapest of the original Atari models. There was also a version that had a shorter rainbow band across the front.

sys_Atari2600JrB.jpg

Sears clones

Sears Tele-games sixxer models, both heavy and light versions. Other than the name, these are identical to the Atari branded models. Some may fly under the price radar a bit.

sys_SearsVideoArcadeB.jpg

Sears Tele-games four switch. See above.

sys_SearsVideoArcadeC.jpg

Sears Video Arcade 2. Not too many of these around. They resemble the 7800, but they're really just the Sears Darth Vader 2600.

sys_SearsVideoArcade2.jpg

Coleco clones

Colecovision Atari adapter. If you have a Colecovision, you can get the adapter and play 2600 games. It attaches to the Colecovision's expansion port.

atariconverter.JPG

Coleco Gemini, a full 2600 clone. Has the interesting joystick/paddle combo controller. Not as common as the Ataris, but can be found.

coleco_gemini.jpg

Columbia Home Arcade, probably the rarest of the mass produced Atari clones. It's a rebranded Coleco Gemini sold through Columbia House; yes, the record seller. Everyone dabbled in video games in the early 80s.

columbia_home_arcade.jpg

There was also some oddball ones sold overseas, including some with built-in games.

As said, they're all RF, though you can convert the Ataris/Sears ones to AV. The Coleco ones can probably be converted, but the internal arrangement might be different. (Partswise, the Colecos are the same, as Atari used off-the-shelf parts to make the 2600. A lawsuit against Coleco failed on those grounds.)

You can also hack a Atari Flashback 2 with a cartridge slot, as it used an Atari-on-a-Chip.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

If you want the “best” model I’d suggest Definitely go with the heavy sixxer, even with RF it looks decent, I Av modded mine and it looks great !! Relative easy mod as well, I think it’s like 3 wires, should be able to get the ready made boards cheap still. Although the Vader one is definitely cool looking the heavy sixxer is OG Atari king. I have an av modded 7800 as well and to me, the 2600 games just don’t look all that good, maybe because I’m used to my heavy sixxer 

I asked this question on AtariAge awhile back. I was curious which was the “most compatible” for the wide array of cartridges. Remember, this was essentially the Wild West. There was hardly any standardization in regards to cartridge shells and fits in the cartridge slots themselves.

A lot of peoples’ go to is the Atari 7800 and while that’s a great choice because you get two libraries in one unit, some of the later ones can have issues taking carts. Mine does. It gives some carts the death grip. It historically has some issues playing Activision carts (which are the best games on the 2600). I’m not saying your 7800 won’t play Activision games, but I and many others have reported having trouble getting the games to boot on occasion, and having to force them into the system or pull them out roughly. Most 7800s won’t even play Tigervision carts like Miner 2049er. Double ended carts? Forget it.

The Heavy Sixer is popular because it’s the first model of 2600, it feels sturdy, and it reportedly has a nicer picture (though some dispute this). Since it’s older there have been reports from some that it also death grips some carts (especially the later red label Atari carts) or can be a tight fit for some. Some guys on AA won’t play their rare carts on H6s for fear of scratching them up badly. I’m not trying to dissuade you from ever getting one (I’m buying one tomorrow, coincidentally) but these are things people on AA have told me. It’s still a beloved model for a variety of well-documented reasons.

The answer I got was that the 4-switch Woody is the way to go in regards to which model “plays the most cartridges with ease.” I can say, from my experience, mine is more accepting of a variety of cartridges than my 7800 is. I’m under the impression that this also applies to the 4-switch Vader.

Runner-up answer I got was the Jr., but many bemoan the cheaper construction of this model of 2600. The one I had was fine.

Edited by Strange
  • Like 1

Stock, without mods, most 2600 jr's I've come across have a cleaner RF than any woody--heavy, light, 4-,6-. I'm not sure what each goes for, but I'd bet people value those less because they are not the image of a 2600 people see in their mind when they think of the 2600. I love the tiny thing.

I don't like the 7800 much, and the worthwhile exclusives are expensive as expected since that market is even smaller. Tangent; for a while, the 5200 market was small too and prices were low. Now things are getting very expensive. The 7800 uses a proprietary plug which I have not seen in other electronics, so replacing it can be more expensive too. The 1/8" jack the 2600 use are more prevalent and you don't need to get the Atari brand. Simply match the polarity, voltage, and have at least the minimum amps for the model you choose.

Anyways, the older you go with 2600 models, the more likely you will have a crummy picture. You won't really notice fuzz in sound since they are short bursts, although some great games like Moon Patrol rock more than bleeps and bloops.

It sounds like you want the typical woody which would benefit from servicing. If you're paying for a stock woody that has had its board refurbed with new caps or improved circuitry, you might as well get the composite mod.

I primarily use the lighter six switch model. It's RF output is terrible, but I don't expect quality from it to begin with.

I also have a Coleco Gemini. It's a more modern design and has better switches on it. Great RF output too. That being said, good luck finding one that doesn't need some kind of repair.  It's nothing difficult if you know how to solder, though.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2021 at 9:16 PM, Strange said:

A lot of peoples’ go to is the Atari 7800 and while that’s a great choice because you get two libraries in one unit, some of the later ones can have issues taking carts. Mine does. It gives some carts the death grip. It historically has some issues playing Activision carts (which are the best games on the 2600). I’m not saying your 7800 won’t play Activision games, but I and many others have reported having trouble getting the games to boot on occasion, and having to force them into the system or pull them out roughly. Most 7800s won’t even play Tigervision carts like Miner 2049er. Double ended carts? Forget it.

The only one I had a problem with was Robot Tank. Imagic games were a bit of a tight fit, but still workable. If you have a 7800 from the first run, I think it will run everything but Dark Chambers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-type said:

The only one I had a problem with was Robot Tank. Imagic games were a bit of a tight fit, but still workable. If you have a 7800 from the first run, I think it will run everything but Dark Chambers

Yeah it can be a small gamble regarding which unit can play what but overall they will play most anything you throw at them.

As far as Activision games I do have issue with Frostbite on mine. I forgot about Imagic games, yeah they’re a tight fit on my 7800 too.

• 2 weeks later...