IGNORED

Do you have a price scale or price cap for single items in your game collecting?

With all the price shenanigans going on I got curious if other people got a system on how they view prices for single items.

My personal price scale for single items as a CIB collector is:

insane 500+ X
very high 250+ - 500 X
high 100+ - 250 X
semihigh 50+ - 100 X
medium 25+ - 50 X
low 10+ - 25 X
very low 0+ - 10 X
free 0

X being technically for € but £ and $ (and maybe some others) work too, since they are quite comparable currencies and what I encounter the most beyond euros.

My price cap for a single item is 5000€, I haven't broken this cap yet but if there was like "extremely good deal" on legit MD Tetris, maybe I'd raise it. Even breaking 1000€ is rare.

• Like 1

>_> if $500 is the insane level then I have a lot of introspection to do right now.

My motto is “Money is boring”. Pay what you want for your collectibles, and ignore the price of you can afford it.

Don’t make an ass out of yourself and buy something at triple the premium when cheaper alternatives are available, but also don’t regret paying triple of a cheaper alternative pops up a week later when it wasn’t there when you bought yours.

If I had to put “Branding” on my stuff it would go like this.

$0 - $20 — Buy it, just in case I might not have it and want it.

$20 - $40 — Try to remember if I have it, but don’t sweat it if I pass it up, or just bought a double.

$40 - $75 — Check if I have it, buy it if I don’t.

$75 - $150 — Check if I have it, consider whether I want to add it to the collection now or later

$150-$400ish — I must be looking for it to even be considering it, but I don’t need to inform “The Rib” (my wife)

$400ish-$2500ish — Same as above, but rib must agree.

$2500+ — Rib can’t know the price ... but she’ll know it was a lot.

High 4 figure, low 5 figure — “No rib, this is a safe investment! Promise”

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Haha 5

Anything I want under 500$ I dont really hesitate. These days there isnt much I want at  that price though. 

5000$ is my soft limit, but the only thing over that price is a copy of SE and I would probably go more if it was right. But it has to fall in my lap. 

My wife and I have separate accounts and she knows Im a responsible buyer so I dont check with her when I buy things and she stopped caring years ago about how much things cost. Out of respect I would probably tell her if I was considering dropping 1k+ on an item. 

I have considered making a large “investment” (25k+) in some sealed WATA flavor of the month, but figured I will stick with property instead. I only want something physical of that value that is precious metal. 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

It's definitely gone up over the years for sure. I don't really break a sweat cracking 100 these days for single items if it's something I know I really want, although there's not MUCH I want, my goals are very focused.

I've never spent more than like 3 to 400 on a single item, that sort of purchase would be especially uncommon. However, it's not especially uncommon for me to spend similar amounts as that on bundles of items at the same time.

I WILL have to start considering breaking into the 4 figure range soon, based on where my goals are going, but only for a very specific handful of items, which once purchased will probably forever hold the record in my collection of most spent.

Other than that tho, I'm usually just a cheap and dirty kinda guy, MOST of the stuff I buy is cheap trash, lol! 😄

• Like 5

Most expensive thing I bought recently wasn't even a game - Omega Planet Ocean that Bond wears in Skyfall! My wife was just glad it was something other than games lol

As for limits meh they change pretty regularly depending on what im after. I'm loose guy so luckily the nutty prices don't apply to me. I've got some 4 figure games left for NES that recently became 4 figure apparently so that'll be my limit for now. I'm good knowing I'll never own stadium events. 

• Like 1

I would sell a chunk of my collection and pay $20,000 for OOT or SM64 if I had to. I think there are some games like that people will literally pay anything for if they have to. Look at Chrono Trigger prices.

Thankfully, actually must-have games are common as hell and usually $1-200 tops. I can’t think of anything I don’t already own that I would pay car money for like a comic nerd who has to own AF15 or FF1.

Mega expensive stuff is usually just popular and rare and almost always there is rarer or cheaper stuff I can get with research or specialized knowledge instead by just not buying the most obvious/hyped/popular rare thing. Games like SE and Myriad are mostly interchangeable tokens of rarity and status. They’re sweet and I want them but essentially meaningless outside the hobby. You can’t replace OOT with anything comparable.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

>_> if $500 is the insane level then I have a lot of introspection to do right now.

Hehe, well that's how I set it up when I started collecting and I have no plans changing my ideals even if the market has shifted, still quite a bit of playroom between my €500+ "insane" classification and my €5000 cap. I just feel that the insane level is costly enough barrier to cross for me to call it that.

40 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Anything I want under 500$ I dont really hesitate. These days there isnt much I want at  that price though.

Sub $500 for something you really want is not too bad indeed.

35 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Generally by now the stuff I am buying is really rare / obscure, items you can't really put a price on easily. But I do have a very good sense of what will become worth more in the future, upon which it helps me set my price.

There are items that I own that could sell for less than €100 or €1000+ depending on where it's sold and who sees it, so I fully get that. Sometimes there is no real sales data for x years, if at all, and you have to make an offer or calculated bid that you can stomach and that doesn't hopefully end as a big dud.

41 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I WILL have to start considering breaking into the 4 figure range soon, based on where my goals are going, but only for a very specific handful of items, which once purchased will probably forever hold the record in my collection of most spent.

Yeah 4 figures is a good place to stop at, unless you're investor type or really adamant full set collector on some specific platform(s) that demand deeper pockets.

40 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

As for limits meh they change pretty regularly depending on what im after. I'm loose guy so luckily the nutty prices don't apply to me. I've got some 4 figure games left for NES that recently became 4 figure apparently so that'll be my limit for now. I'm good knowing I'll never own stadium events. 

I'm amazed how some retail carts have gotten into the 4 figure prices. I understand the Outback Joey cart or some competition carts having gotten there but something like Little Samson cart being 4 digits just feels crazy to me. 5-6 figure carts are insanity sauce. I have a few cart only games that never were in CIB form to begin with but that's the only time I will collect carts basically. 

25 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I would sell a chunk of my collection and pay $20,000 for OOT or SM64 if I had to. I think there are some games like that people will literally pay anything for if they have to. Look at Chrono Trigger prices.

Thankfully, actually must-have games are common as hell and usually $1-200 tops. I can’t think of anything I don’t already own that I would pay car money for like a comic nerd who has to own AF15 or FF1.

Mega expensive stuff is usually just popular and rare and almost always there is rarer or cheaper stuff I can get with research or specialized knowledge instead by just not buying the most obvious/hyped/popular rare thing. Games like SE and Myriad are mostly interchangeable tokens of rarity and status. They’re sweet and I want them but essentially meaningless outside the hobby. You can’t replace OOT with anything comparable.

Yeah, when the market goes crazy in one direction it's better to deviate from the hype and make good buys elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Nesmaster said:

2k is probably my limit, unless it was something over that and a no brainer deal.

It's definitely gone up though, My first $440 purchase made me feel kinda ill for the day dropping that much.

I remember when I was super excited to bid on Majora's Mask Adventure Set and was panicking from my maximum bid thoughts of few hundred and then climbing into €600-800 range plans or whatever it was, because it was the first game I really planned to go hard on. I think the game climbed above my max before the end and before I even placed a bid of my own. Before that auction even crossing €100 was biggie for me but maybe it was some sort of awakening moment even if I didn't get to place my bid, so things quickly snowballed for me and we have the price scale I use now.

• Like 1

The only games I have and would break four figures for are the last couple NES CIB's I need for a full set, but like another poster mentioned, once I have that full NES set, those last items would forever be the record holders for highest paid items in my collection.  I have no intention of "stepping up my game" and getting into the flavour of the month WATA nonesense; I made a personal collecting goal over twenty years ago, and I'm gonna stick with it till the end (probably minus SE, sadly...)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

It's definitely gone up over the years for sure. I don't really break a sweat cracking 100 these days for single items if it's something I know I really want, although there's not MUCH I want, my goals are very focused.

I've never spent more than like 3 to 400 on a single item, that sort of purchase would be especially uncommon. However, it's not especially uncommon for me to spend similar amounts as that on bundles of items at the same time.

Other than that tho, I'm usually just a cheap and dirty kinda guy, MOST of the stuff I buy is cheap trash, lol! 😄

I'm the same. Sadly, $100 is nearing the average rate for a good-yet-obscure game. The most I've spent on a game must've been about $700 for a pristine copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga before the pandemic. Much of my most expensive titles were bought just before COVID-19 hit, for that matter, and I do not regret buying them one bit. Magic Knight Rayearth comes to mind when discussing this.

I certainly don't feel good after buying the few that I have for $500+, but being a longtime collector and letting CIB Little Samson slip by at $300 because it was "too much for a video game" back in the day taught me a hard lesson. With that in mind I made several purchases over the pandemic that proved to shake out in my favor.

Vintage video games are a bit inflated and the market is overheated. I hope that with things being the way that they are that it doesn't dissuade new collectors looking to enter the hobby.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

being a longtime collector and letting CIB Little Samson slip by at $300 because it was "too much for a video game" back in the day taught me a hard lesson.

Yes. I sold mine for $100 and paid $260 3 years later to get another back. I would not be buying it today if I needed it, with the price it goes for.

• Like 1

I am a pretty boring collector...I like buying retail copies of games (although I always prefer CIB) and I'm not real condition sensitive, so that means (at least for now) 5 figures is a far-off dream (nightmare?).  Plus, I'd take ten $100 games over one $1,000 game any day of the week - Love the massive selection of great games to play rather than just a few great ones...$10,000+ games are for investors, prototype guys, and art collectors, not really gamers and nostalgia freaks like me.  Right now my most expensive game probably cost me about $1,800...and I might have spent over $1,000 on one other game...but I do have dozens of games that I forked over $500+ for, and probably hundreds that I paid over $100.  I'll probably break my record when I finally suck it up and buy Clayfighter to complete the N64 set, but I would guess there are less than 25 games on my want list that are more than $1,000, and none over $5,000...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Nesmaster said:

Yes. I sold mine for $100 and paid $260 3 years later to get another back. I would not be buying it today if I needed it, with the price it goes for.

I remember scrolling through pages of Little Samson and Flintstones: Surprise At Dinosaur Peak for $400 each and thinking I would come back to them after I built up cheaper areas of my collection.

I still don't have them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I consider myself to be a random collector as I collect on multiple platforms Sega, Nintendo, Xbox and PlayStation. I also collect from CIB to new to sealed and also graded. My maximum spend on an item so far is around $4000 AUD, this being 5 years ago, which is a considerable luxury spend relatively speaking, for its time.

Thankfully though, I rarely spend that much often, and there would be months I'd happily buy items less than $100 without the need to buy something overly rare/expensive. On the other hand, I do plan on continuing with my sealed/graded collecting, and I expect the maximum purchase will continue to rise in time, but no rush and no timeline when or if it happens. 

I find it more thrilling to think “what will be my next purchases?” Instead of “how many digits will I spend maximally?”

• Like 3

My cap on a single game is around $500. I’ve bid more than that on some eBay auctions and lost out, but I didn’t mind. I wouldn’t consider myself cheap as I’ve purchased many pieces of boutique gaming equipment in the $200-$400 range... (Ultra HDMI N64, Framemesiter, modded XBOX, everdrives, etc). I will say that while I’m a relatively modest collector and am curating a small collection, I could see myself pulling the trigger on items $500-$1000 if I have disposable income down the road.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Umm, I don't know.  Some low numbers.  My paycheck goes basically 100% into the mortgage, bills, private school tuitions, personal kid swim lessons, kid bikes, kid skateboards, kid scooters, kid skis, kid dirt bikes, kid ski lessons, HSA, 401K, vacations, keeping my checking account at a safely padded level, etc.  So I really only spend what I get from selling other stuff.

Something like:

0-20: free to impulse buy

20-50: usually some deliberation or attempts at get it cheaper

50-100: Something I'm confident is gonna be a permanent addition, or something where I know it's easy to recoup or profit off the order (ie LRG)

100-200: I specifically need something to sell in this range to counter out the expense, or I need to limit other purchases for a bit

200-500: only happen every few years.  It would have to be pieces that are instantly.some of the cream of the crop.for my collection, or a very good deal.

500+: Only happened once

• Like 4

My price scale is probably like your original post @sp1nz. A couple years ago when I was one of those people saying games are a bad investment, that was my attitude. I didn't really think twice about buying a game under $20 but it would take me some serious reflection before I would be spending over $100. Hence there's some games I didn't buy because they were out of my price range (and today I think... maybe I should have). 

But now that my perspective has changed, I don't think this way anymore. It's all about: 

• Is it within my budget of what I can spend right now?
  • Is the price fair or a discount compared to what it could sell for right now? 
  • Is it something I think could be worth more in the future? 
  • Would this be a good purchase compared to something else that might be a better investment? 

Hence, interestingly enough, one behavior change is that now I don't mindlessly buy cheap games just because they are cheap. There was a time when I was collecting DS bargain bin games for fun and I would just spend $5 or $8 or whatever to buy games without really thinking about it because they were cheap. Looking back I realized, if I do that 10 times, I've spent the kind of money that I could have put into one game that would have been a good addition to the collection. So now I only pick up cheap stuff if I'm buying a lot and setting aside stuff that doesn't cost me anything. Otherwise I'd rather focus on trying to score the high value stuff I'm wanting if it's not an insanely good deal. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 3

For a CIB game: +$3000 would be in the 'insane' category.

$1-3K very high

$500 - 1000 high

$250 - 500 medium

$100 - 250 low

<$100 very low.

Mine have definitely gone up over the years. Even $100-$200 on a CIB in like 2012 would have been in the 'very high' category for me but that's not gonna get you very far these days outside of filler titles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The only games I have and would break four figures for are the last couple NES CIB's I need for a full set, but like another poster mentioned, once I have that full NES set, those last items would forever be the record holders for highest paid items in my collection.  I have no intention of "stepping up my game" and getting into the flavour of the month WATA nonesense; I made a personal collecting goal over twenty years ago, and I'm gonna stick with it till the end (probably minus SE, sadly...)

Top end NES games are definitely doozies nowadays. They're not the rarest things ever but the demand pushes the prices far more than on many other platforms.

16 hours ago, Shmup said:

I collect Japanese Saturn...my bank account is always empty haha.

Nice, I like to collect JP Saturn games with Obis. Some have gone up in price for sure.

16 hours ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

I'm the same. Sadly, $100 is nearing the average rate for a good-yet-obscure game. The most I've spent on a game must've been about $700 for a pristine copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga before the pandemic. Much of my most expensive titles were bought just before COVID-19 hit, for that matter, and I do not regret buying them one bit. Magic Knight Rayearth comes to mind when discussing this.

I certainly don't feel good after buying the few that I have for $500+, but being a longtime collector and letting CIB Little Samson slip by at $300 because it was "too much for a video game" back in the day taught me a hard lesson. With that in mind I made several purchases over the pandemic that proved to shake out in my favor.

Vintage video games are a bit inflated and the market is overheated. I hope that with things being the way that they are that it doesn't dissuade new collectors looking to enter the hobby.

Yeah $100 for "good-yet-obscure" game rings quite true to me. The current market can be a double-edged sword, some people are more interested to enter a hot hobby and some will be turned off by prices, still if we look at overall game collecting, it's quite affordable medium to collect on many platforms.

15 hours ago, Naked Warrior said:

I am a pretty boring collector...I like buying retail copies of games (although I always prefer CIB) and I'm not real condition sensitive, so that means (at least for now) 5 figures is a far-off dream (nightmare?).  Plus, I'd take ten $100 games over one $1,000 game any day of the week - Love the massive selection of great games to play rather than just a few great ones...$10,000+ games are for investors, prototype guys, and art collectors, not really gamers and nostalgia freaks like me.  Right now my most expensive game probably cost me about $1,800...and I might have spent over $1,000 on one other game...but I do have dozens of games that I forked over $500+ for, and probably hundreds that I paid over $100.  I'll probably break my record when I finally suck it up and buy Clayfighter to complete the N64 set, but I would guess there are less than 25 games on my want list that are more than $1,000, and none over $5,000...

I imagine the number of people who have paid 5 figures for anything gaming related is very low, whatever they would classify themselves as. Naturally anyone can abstain from buying cheaper items and pool the money for something more expensive if they really want it but that's all about opportunity cost and goals.

15 hours ago, attakid101 said:

in this hobby, I have more regrets about the stuff I didn't buy.

So no I don’t have a cap per se. I kind of play it by ear. 

Hindsight 20/20, I have missed many items I might not see for sale again but I don't actively regret those when the price at the time or time window for the sale didn't quite line up. My cap is to keep me humble and I just don't feel certain games are worth the insane sums some people are paying currently. In general what I collect doesn't really ever even come close to my cap and I can live without things that would exceed it because very few of them interest me on that price level.

15 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I remember scrolling through pages of Little Samson and Flintstones: Surprise At Dinosaur Peak for $400 each and thinking I would come back to them after I built up cheaper areas of my collection.

I still don't have them.

I feel you, I postponed buying certain games when they were sort of expensive and now they are just too much for my taste for what they are. Like I'm content with my PAL FRG CIB Little Samson, even when it's naturally not nearly as collectable as American or even SCN version.

9 hours ago, GPX said:

I consider myself to be a random collector as I collect on multiple platforms Sega, Nintendo, Xbox and PlayStation. I also collect from CIB to new to sealed and also graded. My maximum spend on an item so far is around $4000 AUD, this being 5 years ago, which is a considerable luxury spend relatively speaking, for its time.

Thankfully though, I rarely spend that much often, and there would be months I'd happily buy items less than $100 without the need to buy something overly rare/expensive. On the other hand, I do plan on continuing with my sealed/graded collecting, and I expect the maximum purchase will continue to rise in time, but no rush and no timeline when or if it happens. 

I find it more thrilling to think “what will be my next purchases?” Instead of “how many digits will I spend maximally?”

I'm quite omnivorous collector too, I have couple full sets and might go for a couple more, I don't do graded though because I don't usually buy things to sell them later. I do have some duplicates or lesser versions of games for various reasons that I will sell or trade eventually but that's just generally CIB stuff anyway. I mean my cap isn't carved in stone but I don't consider the possibility of breaching it thrilling or not thrilling, it's just something that might happen if something really amazing presented itself, like my example of MD Tetris, but I still wouldn't go nearly market price for it, so it kind of defeats the possibility of even needing to breach my cap. To use the word opportunity cost again, buying a really cool thing that would breach my price cap would very likely feel worse option to me than spending that same money across many cool things.

7 hours ago, portabello said:

My cap on a single game is around $500. I’ve bid more than that on some eBay auctions and lost out, but I didn’t mind. I wouldn’t consider myself cheap as I’ve purchased many pieces of boutique gaming equipment in the $200-$400 range... (Ultra HDMI N64, Framemesiter, modded XBOX, everdrives, etc). I will say that while I’m a relatively modest collector and am curating a small collection, I could see myself pulling the trigger on items $500-$1000 if I have disposable income down the road.

I think your $500 or even up to $1000 is quite reasonable cap. For me it's harder to spend big money on hardware compared to software for some reason but the things you listed are nifty for sure.

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Umm, I don't know.  Some low numbers.  My paycheck goes basically 100% into the mortgage, bills, private school tuitions, personal kid swim lessons, kid bikes, kid skateboards, kid scooters, kid skis, kid dirt bikes, kid ski lessons, HSA, 401K, vacations, keeping my checking account at a safely padded level, etc.  So I really only spend what I get from selling other stuff.

Something like:

0-20: free to impulse buy

20-50: usually some deliberation or attempts at get it cheaper

50-100: Something I'm confident is gonna be a permanent addition, or something where I know it's easy to recoup or profit off the order (ie LRG)

100-200: I specifically need something to sell in this range to counter out the expense, or I need to limit other purchases for a bit

200-500: only happen every few years.  It would have to be pieces that are instantly.some of the cream of the crop.for my collection, or a very good deal.

500+: Only happened once

You have your family priorities in order good sir.

4 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

My price scale is probably like your original post @sp1nz. A couple years ago when I was one of those people saying games are a bad investment, that was my attitude. I didn't really think twice about buying a game under $20 but it would take me some serious reflection before I would be spending over $100. Hence there's some games I didn't buy because they were out of my price range (and today I think... maybe I should have). 

But now that my perspective has changed, I don't think this way anymore. It's all about: 

• Is it within my budget of what I can spend right now?
  • Is the price fair or a discount compared to what it could sell for right now? 
  • Is it something I think could be worth more in the future? 
  • Would this be a good purchase compared to something else that might be a better investment? 

Hence, interestingly enough, one behavior change is that now I don't mindlessly buy cheap games just because they are cheap. There was a time when I was collecting DS bargain bin games for fun and I would just spend $5 or $8 or whatever to buy games without really thinking about it because they were cheap. Looking back I realized, if I do that 10 times, I've spent the kind of money that I could have put into one game that would have been a good addition to the collection. So now I only pick up cheap stuff if I'm buying a lot and setting aside stuff that doesn't cost me anything. Otherwise I'd rather focus on trying to score the high value stuff I'm wanting if it's not an insanely good deal. 

Interesting perspective. I won't say if games are good or bad investment, I just don't consider mine as investment even if it has great value. When buying games though you are completely right that buying metric ton of cheap junk is not too great of a strategy for enjoyment of your own collection or gaining profit from it. I remember the one Guinness game collection of 11000+ games but most of it was bottom of the barrel stuff for low demand consoles, though it must've been cheap to acquire and the guy made out like a bandit on the sale of his collection regardless. like I would've valued his collection at up to 7x lower than the sale price. Having the "Guinness" badge of "largest collection", when it's just due to submitting being pain in the butt, is similar to the badge of hype that Wata/VGA grade case is to games.

4 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

For a CIB game: +$3000 would be in the 'insane' category.

$1-3K very high

$500 - 1000 high

$250 - 500 medium

$100 - 250 low

<$100 very low.

Mine have definitely gone up over the years. Even $100-$200 on a CIB in like 2012 would have been in the 'very high' category for me but that's not gonna get you very far these days outside of filler titles.

I don't actually disagree with those ranges having those terms, like my list might benefit from having one or two more upper ranges and changing the terms in the lower ranges but that would also mean overhauling my entire collection sheet again, which is too much work for too little gain, $500+ is uncommon enough and I could only make use of your version of insane range 3 times. Then again American CIB collecting perspective is way different compared to European.

1 hour ago, Bonanza125 said:

I already got everything I want for my collection 20 years ago so I didn't have to pay the high end prices for games in my collection. 

Lucky you! Even though I joined the hardcore collecting scene quite late, I got majority of my stuff for prices I can agree with. I don't know how enthusiastic I would be if I started from zero in today's market - at least my scope of collecting would be way more narrow.

22 hours ago, sp1nz said:
insane 500+ X
very high 250+ - 500 X
high 100+ - 250 X
semihigh 50+ - 100 X
medium 25+ - 50 X
low 10+ - 25 X
very low 0+ - 10 X
free 0

X being technically for € but £ and $ (and maybe some others) work too, since they are quite comparable currencies and what I encounter the most beyond euros.

Going to steal this  because it's so freaky how on the nose I basically feel about stuff.  And yeah that whatever you want does fit, so $ for me.  Those values though are basically to scale for me taking my paypal account balance at the time into factoring, or trade, or a combo of both.  If it were real out of budget money,  nothing would go higher than orange, ever, aside from buying a new system.  I'm not comfortable spending much outside of the blue-green range typically.

Pleases me often that I find most things I'd still buy old, that being Gameboy family, sometimes DS/3DS they fall into that range of very low to low, sometimes medium so it all works out well.  Doesn't sting so much, can revisit or find a new experience without feeling taken to the cleaners.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I still don't have them.

I feel you, still don't have a CIB Dino. 😞

• Sad 1