IGNORED

Paying for items with pennies

fcgamer

Social Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, it was slower if you used one of these:

raidhK.gif

But when's the last time one of them was seen outside of Mayberry?

saw one two years ago at a Chipotle.  Their Point Of Sale was down during rush hour.  I commented about how I was surprised they had one and that the late teen knew how to use it.  And co-worker who was like in her 40's chimmend in and said she had to teach her.  Teen said she'd never seen one in her life 😂

On 4/4/2021 at 4:42 PM, VegaVegas said:

This will never happen as you can't set up a price for 19.99. You must be able to set up any price you want and this is required by law

you can't pay $2.89 9/10 for a gallon of gas, but that doesn't stop every gas station from charging it.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 4:42 PM, VegaVegas said:

This will never happen as you can't set up a price for 19.99. You must be able to set up any price you want and this is required by law

The law can be changed to account for the removal of the penny.  Considering how expensive it is to make a penny, it makes sense to get rid of it (pun intended).  

53 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

The law can be changed to account for the removal of the penny.  Considering how expensive it is to make a penny, it makes sense to get rid of it (pun intended).  

You of all people (IL resident) should understand more than anybody why the US penny isn't going anywhere.

I remember when I worked at a sandwich shopped and we were slammed in the lunch rush and I was so pissed when a smart ass difficult regular paid with change. Doesn't just suck for us having to count it, it sucks for everyone behind him in line that has to wait extra while we count it. It takes a hot minute to count out 18 bucks in assorted pennies and nickles. I like Tabonga's idea of doling those pennies out a couple at a time until the stack is gone. You don't want to be "the penny guy."

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

2012 was the last year with pennies.

I think I got through from the 50s or so to the early to mid 2000s. I have a few with King George or Edward on it too, but for most of them I didn't actually seek them out, rather just what I found in change.

Wasn't there a quarter (?) on it at one point with a red poppy or flower on it?

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I think I got through from the 50s or so to the early to mid 2000s. I have a few with King George or Edward on it too, but for most of them I didn't actually seek them out, rather just what I found in change.

Wasn't there a quarter (?) on it at one point with a red poppy or flower on it?

We've had a few with poppies I believe, yeah. At LEAST one.

• Like 1

What a funny topic.  I am also surprised at anyone who feels paying with a card is slow, it's equal or faster than paying with cash unless you have exact cash or something - even when a pin is required.  It's also more sanitary, money is filthy.  Pay for gas a few times with cash and you'll start kicking your own ass.

For pennies/loose change, yea we have countless coin machines all over the place, even walmart here locally.  Just save em until you have a fuckton and cash em in, I have a coin bottle going for 15+ years lol.

Just DONT be that guy paying with all change completely unsorted, and hold up everybody behind you.  The people waiting and the employee will all hate you, 100%.  If using cash in 2021, at least be prepared and heavy coinage should be as close to exact change as possible.

Cash should be reserved for banks, garage sales, girl scout cookies, and illegal goods haha 🙂

I also stopped using cash for pretty everything. Except theirs one place I get hot dogs at that only accepts cash. Hot Dog Johnny’s in case anyone is interested, I think it’s one of those famous roadside stops thats been on tv a time or two. I usually have to drive past it and get cash at the Quik Check and turn around and go back for the hot dogs. 

But I do believe the digitization of money will bite us in the ass eventually. It only take one really capable hacker/nation to tank that. I also think the government is licking its lips for the day its all digital money. Real easy to get “their” money when money is just a number counter somewhere 

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

Just DONT be that guy paying with all change completely unsorted, and hold up everybody behind you.  The people waiting and the employee will all hate you, 100%.  

What if that's quite literally all the money you have?  I used to work as a grocery clerk back in the day and it does happen.  I didn't mind at all (because coming from a not-so-high off the hog background myself I totally get it) as long as I count it myself (I can do it fairly quickly if I make stacks of five or ten and put them right beside each other) and for God sakes don't put any money on the conveyor belt!!

As far as those coin counter machines go last time I checked they charge 9% of what you put in it, so there's that.

Just now, Estil said:

What if that's quite literally all the money you have?  I used to work as a grocery clerk back in the day and it does happen.  I didn't mind at all (because coming from a not-so-high off the hog background myself I totally get it) as long as I count it myself (I can do it fairly quickly if I make stacks of five or ten and put them right beside each other) and for God sakes don't put any money on the conveyor belt!!

As far as those coin counter machines go last time I checked they charge 9% of what you put in it, so there's that.

Certain banks will have a free to use coin counter that you can get paper money back

15 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Also, I used to work for the largest supplier of strip to the US Mint.  So I know a lot of people who don't want to see it go away.  

Well it's Illinois more than anyone.  Being the Land of Lincoln (it's right there on their plates; and in that state you have to have them on both sides of your vehicle) I imagine they'll all but threaten to secede from the Union if they take away the penny.

11 minutes ago, Estil said:

for God sakes don't put any money on the conveyor belt!!

I was with a friend in a Smart and Final one time buying some stuff for a party. He accidentally dropped a twenty on the conveyor belt, which promptly sucked it up as he scrambled to grab it. The manager had to take apart the metal end piece to get it back.

4 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I only use change (quarters) at the self-serve Car Wash

Quarter shortages forced my local car wash to install credit card readers. It's actually kind of nice.

15 minutes ago, Estil said:

You can avoid the charge if you get a gift card or voucher. I mean, if you're shopping at Amazon anyway, why not get the card and not lose any money?