IGNORED

Paying for items with pennies

fcgamer

Businesses and banks are required by law to accept all forms of cash as currency. They may require it be rolled but they can't force you away. I once got pretty upset with my mortgage company so I brought them $1100 in Loonies for my next payment. They apologized for their mistake.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Okay, well it's 2021 now, not 1981.  Everyone pays with card and the chip readers take seconds. 😱

All depends if the people paying with it have their shit together or not, and so often it's the latter. Any sort of signature or pin verification, and people waste precious seconds, personally never understood it, as if you've been through the process a million times you should be ready to fulfill the requirements and get out, rather than scratching your beard whilst the guy tries to hand you the stylus.

Edited by fcgamer

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

All depends if the people paying with it have their shit together or not, and so often it's the latter. Amy sort of signature or pin verification, and people waste precious seconds, personally never understood it, as if you've been through the process a million times you should be ready to fulfill the requirements and get out, rather than scratching your beard whilst the guy tries to hand you the stylus.

I mean if other people are annoyingly slow you not using a card isn’t going to make them not use it and be slow.  Unless...you fully anticipate fumbling around with it agonizingly and you are actually pre-being very considerate.  You sir, are truly a gentleman.  

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

I mean if other people are annoyingly slow you not using a card isn’t going to make them not use it and be slow.  Unless...you fully anticipate fumbling around with it agonizingly and you are actually being pre-being very considerate.  You sir, are truly a gentleman.  

That's my issue though, it seems everyone fumbles with the damned things, as if it were their first time and are clueless about it. So something that *should* be faster and more convenient often isn't, due to the absurdity I mentioned earlier.

19 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Businesses and banks are required by law to accept all forms of cash as currency. They may require it be rolled but they can't force you away. I once got pretty upset with my mortgage company so I brought them $1100 in Loonies for my next payment. They apologized for their mistake.

This may be true in Canada, but not in the US. This comes up every time some jackass pulls a stunt with pennies, and the US Treasury even has a section on it on their website.

• Like 1

Just now, fcgamer said:

Well that seems to be a hassle for many, too!

Those people need to be set out on the ice flows and eaten by polar bears. Survival of the fittest and all.

Though I doubt them fumbling with cash will make retail lines go any quicker.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Ever been to a bar / restaurant when the wifi goes down or the power goes out?

15 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

No, can't say I have had the pleasure of experiencing that. I don't live in Mongolia.

This is the exact reason why I saw one of those slider things in the last 5 years or so. I didn't even know they were still made, but I was shopping with my wife at a Belk or some place like that and the credit company network went down. Coincidentally, in the last two years this had happened at a Subway. For all customers in line, they got their meals for free, while all new customers were simply turned away at the door unless they had cash.

7 minutes ago, RH said:

This is the exact reason why I saw one of those slider things in the last 5 years or so. I didn't even know they were still made, but I was shopping with my wife at a Belk or some place like that and the credit company network went down. Coincidentally, in the last two years this had happened at a Subway. For all customers in line, they got their meals for free, while all new customers were simply turned away at the door unless they had cash.

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious, but I don't know if I would do business with a place that wasn't PCI compliant.

But it's been awhile since I was ever at a place where the system was down. Slow systems, sure, but completely down, it's been years. Probably around the last time I had to sign for anything that didn't involve cash withdrawal.

Edited by Tulpa

48 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

This may be true in Canada, but not in the US. This comes up every time some jackass pulls a stunt with pennies, and the US Treasury even has a section on it on their website.

Yeah, private businesses can definitely restrict the type of currency they take. That's why you see $20 bill limits and whatnot, and plenty will tell you to piss off if you came in with tons of pennies.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

There's law, and there's also common courtesy.

Feel free to pay with pennies if you want to be "that guy"

• Like 3

Have no problem cashing in 50s or 100s at the gas station . But also depends at how many people done the same , in cashing in . 

Its mixed here , with cash and card . But mostly see cash at when i am in the store .

And its so funny at when the system(s) are down . They cant process anything because its on the web . 

6 minutes ago, VegaVegas said:

This will never happen as you can't set up a price for 19.99. You must be able to set up any price you want and this is required by law

Things are still $19.99 here. If you pay in cash it is $20 and if you pay on card it is $19.99. It has been implemented in heaps of countries so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work in the US.