IGNORED

Paying for items with pennies

fcgamer

I have a jar of the Taiwanense equivalent of pennies. I'd love to rid myself of this burden, without going to the bank, but that's where the question lies. How many pennies can you use in one purchase, before it starts to raise eyebrows? Would ten be okay? Fourty, I could buy a beer with that. One hundred? Two hundred?

Yeah, I wouldn't pay for a beer with pennies unless you want spit in it next time around.

Most banks will want you to roll them into sleeves before taking them.

They don't have those coin machines over there? Yeah, they take a percentage as a fee (or you can get something like an Amazon gift card with no fee), but it beats rolling them up. You dump them, get your cash or voucher and leave.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, I wouldn't pay for a beer with pennies unless you want spit in it next time around.

Most banks will want you to roll them into sleeves before taking them.

They don't have those coin machines over there? Yeah, they take a percentage as a fee (or you can get something like an Amazon gift card with no fee), but it beats rolling them up. You dump them, get your cash or voucher and leave.

No coin machines here. Beer, I was talking about a can from a 7-11, costs maybe 40 (1 dollar coins, which is basically a Taiwanense penny).

Definitely not going to the bank over it, I'd rather be known as the "penny guy" than to piss away my whole lunch, which is what would happen if I went to the bank.

Just now, VegaVegas said:

Was there someone that bought a car with pennies??

There's all sorts of videos online of people buying things/paying bills with pennies. Like, buckets of pennies dumped on counters and such.

Some of them get pretty heated.

If you have a small store that you do a lot of business with ask them if they would like them - stores go through a lot of change and they have to get them from the bank - they may want you to roll them - but your bank should be able to give you rolls.

Depending on how many cash transactions you do you could always stuff a bunch in your pocket each day and slowly flog them off in small quantities to round out change in your purchases - the stores aren't going to object since they won't have to make change.  If you are conscientious about it you will likely be surprised on how fast you can move them along.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

There's all sorts of videos online of people buying things/paying bills with pennies. Like, buckets of pennies dumped on counters and such.

Some of them get pretty heated.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/national/georgia-man-pennies-final-paycheck/531-93fb65c4-ca15-4ebf-98a3-b0bb7a286442

• Haha 1

As for the amount, I'd say forty is probably the upper limit, and that's assuming you count them out in stacks of ten so they can sweep them into the register with minimal fuss. Any more than that you're liable to get the stinkeye if you're a regular.

• Thanks 1

Social Team · Posted

As long as you roll that shit think you could spend 4 rolls easily.  As someone mentioned if store/business does a lot of cash transaction they will like your coins.

My local bar accepts jars of unsorted coins.  Over the next week people will bet on how much money is in jar.  Closest who doesn't go over wins all the bet money.  They have a coin counting machine.  Person who gives jar gets paid for how much is in jar.

Otherwise the bank actually charges the bar for getting money in change to do their daily business.  So bar LOVES jars of change because it saves them money.

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

I have a jar of the Taiwanense equivalent of pennies. I'd love to rid myself of this burden, without going to the bank, but that's where the question lies. How many pennies can you use in one purchase, before it starts to raise eyebrows? Would ten be okay? Fourty, I could buy a beer with that. One hundred? Two hundred?

Just give them to an old taai-taai. She'll take care of it.

• Like 1