IGNORED

VGA 85 Mike Tyson Punch-Out Sells for $11k (White Oval Seal)

jonebone

On 10/31/2019 at 4:39 PM, Bronty said:

Further to the point, remember that this title was not distributed as a white seal for that long.

Mike had his legal troubles, Nintendo cut ties, and we ended up with Punch Out and then Punch Out classic series.    THOSE are the last versions of the game, those are the 'wrong thing.'

A white seal is not really that late a copy because the truly late copies were a rebranded title.

If I can believe the wikipedia launch date (oddly, DP doesn't have the launch date) then the Mr Dream version was released in August 1990 meaning white seal MTPO are from March 1989 to July 1990.    That's not that late a date or that long a window which explains why they really aren't so easy to find.

True, but the oval seal was distributed long enough to get a star code revision to the box, so it's very unclear how man copies of each seal were made.

18 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

True, but the oval seal was distributed long enough to get a star code revision to the box, so it's very unclear how man copies of each seal were made.

Yes but ultimately how many were made doesn’t really matter though, it’s how many survive.    Survival rates were by far highest on late run copies of titles because sealed games are just unsold inventory.    Given that no copies were made post 90, it’s not hard to see why fewer white seal Tyson’s are around than other titles of similar stature (white seal Zeldas etc) as those other titles would have had a later production cutoff

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Yes but ultimately how many were made doesn’t really matter though, it’s how many survive.    Survival rates were by far highest on late run copies of titles because sealed games are just unsold inventory.    Given that no copies were made post 90, it’s not hard to see why fewer white seal Tyson’s are around than other titles of similar stature (white seal Zeldas etc) as those other titles would have had a later production cutoff

Good point. Definitely less of this available than other titles and probably less oval copies than the round seal version.

Based on the side of the box, it is probably the star code version which makes it likely to be the rarest version of them all.

Edited by DoctorEncore

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, Mydogsrule said:

You got me thinking. As much as I love and would cherish any original Nes cover over a sealed game, I wonder what would be considered low end.  Maybe Taboo?  The original does exist but I think without the background behind the Sun face thing?  I think the painting was posted on NA at one point.  

Taboo is super low end yeah .   Still a cover though.  Barely lol. 

Edited by Bronty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2