IGNORED

VGA 85 Mike Tyson Punch-Out Sells for $11k (White Oval Seal)

jonebone

People that have been watching the sealed market knew this one was heating up, but this was a strong and surprising sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Tysons-Punch-Out-VGA-85-NM-1989-Nintendo-NES-New-Factory-Sealed-H-Seam/193168129038

White seal (last print) and not even gold condition, though 85 is still a solid collector copy.  If I had to guess, probably about 5 or 6 times higher than it would have sold about a year ago.  Strong increase indeed.

Top 5 NES game for me, such a classic but the sale was certainly impressive.  Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, ap123 said:

The price shot up sharply in the last few seconds. Could be that two bidders put in higher bids than they would have expected to actually pay to be sure they secured it?

Even so, the previous high bit of $8.6K would still have been a pretty penny.

image.thumb.png.018b75d93df808b24365ed7c8b62acaf.png

It's hard to go with that line of thinking in general.  There could have been snipes at $9k or $10k that didn't register depending on the delay.  I.e. someone snipes at $11k with 6 seconds left but there was a $10k snipe ready to go at 5 seconds left.  The $10k snipe wouldn't hit the bidder list. 

4 hours ago, ap123 said:

The price shot up sharply in the last few seconds. Could be that two bidders put in higher bids than they would have expected to actually pay to be sure they secured it?

Even so, the previous high bit of $8.6K would still have been a pretty penny.

My guess is probably a dozen snipes went off 5 seconds before it ended and whiffed because they were too low, and we're just seeing the winner and underbidder.

I know people have sealed NES and MTPO rabies right now so it's not exactly surprising, but $11k shrink wrap on a not special version of the game is crazy. It's like if PSA 9 first edition shadowless Charizards start selling for $10,000s so people start investing hard in plain old PSA 9 base set Charizards. No matter how rare it is in this condition, it's the "wrong" thing. And I mean, any NM sealed Tyson is still a super cool thing to collect, but compared to the opportunity cost of buying $11,000 of different collectible games, it is still crazy.

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

My guess is probably a dozen snipes went off 5 seconds before it ended and whiffed because they were too low, and we're just seeing the winner and underbidder.

I know people have sealed NES and MTPO rabies right now so it's not exactly surprising, but $11k shrink wrap on a not special version of the game is crazy. It's like if PSA 9 first edition shadowless Charizards start selling for $10,000s so people start investing hard in plain old PSA 9 base set Charizards. No matter how rare it is in this condition, it's the "wrong" thing. And I mean, any NM sealed Tyson is still a super cool thing to collect, but compared to the opportunity cost of buying $11,000 of different collectible games, it is still crazy.

I would much rather have a sealed Tyson in any print than a first print CIB. I gladly flipped the first print CIB I came across this year and continue to keep a sealed round seal rev A in the collection. Sealed on this title is rare no matter what variant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Further to the point, remember that this title was not distributed as a white seal for that long.

Mike had his legal troubles, Nintendo cut ties, and we ended up with Punch Out and then Punch Out classic series.    THOSE are the last versions of the game, those are the 'wrong thing.'

A white seal is not really that late a copy because the truly late copies were a rebranded title.

If I can believe the wikipedia launch date (oddly, DP doesn't have the launch date) then the Mr Dream version was released in August 1990 meaning white seal MTPO are from March 1989 to July 1990.    That's not that late a date or that long a window which explains why they really aren't so easy to find.

Edited by Bronty

11 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I would much rather have a sealed Tyson in any print than a first print CIB. I gladly flipped the first print CIB I came across this year and continue to keep a sealed round seal rev A in the collection. Sealed on this title is rare no matter what variant.

That's what makes youse guys sealed guys and me a dirty, regular collector though. Shrink wrap to me is just the cherry on top of the sundae, like if a CIB game can max out at 9/10, a seal can push it to a 10/10 to me, whereas to you guys sealed games are a fundamentally different, sexier class of objects. I could buy Famicom gold version, first print US version, and 5 screw cart, and have all the historical and rare MTPO things to sate my collection, plus 10,000 extra bucks.

2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

That's what makes youse guys sealed guys and me a dirty, regular collector though. Shrink wrap to me is just the cherry on top of the sundae, like if a CIB game can max out at 9/10, a seal can push it to a 10/10 to me, whereas to you guys sealed games are a fundamentally different, sexier class of objects. I could buy Famicom gold version, first print US version, and 5 screw cart, and have all the historical and rare MTPO things to sate my collection, plus 10,000 extra bucks.

different strokes.

58 minutes ago, Bronty said:

different strokes.

That's why we have this cool forum to discuss our strokes. Gimme perspective. How does something like this compare to the art world. Could you get a nice piece of one-of-a-kind art for $11,000 instead of this mass-produced albeit rare-in-this-state thing? I know we're in the brave new 2019 world, but damn for 5 figures I'd want the most special thing. I'm guessing $11k doesn't get you an A-list box art, but a B-list, Blades of Steel? D-list, The Mutant Virus? Today's prices, stuff you bought in 2005 doesn't count.

Feel free to post pictures of the Blades of Steel and Mutant Virus art because I'd find it humorous if you actually had them.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

10k is entry level at this point for an NES cover.    Blades of Steel is more like A- and even mutant virus is more like B-.   D list is like....  Poker Face Paul for Game Gear. 

E and F are like.... little CD rom educational game covers or something

Edited by Bronty
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jonebone said:

I'm somewhat opposite. I enjoy my first print 9.0 more than my sealed 8.5.

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I got probably 2000ish CIB games and 500ish sealed across all platforms. Im a CIB guy. But I'd much rather have sealed on it. You can look at 11k as priced out now but if someone had really wanted one it was easy enough to find sub 2k up until 15 to 18 months ago.

15 minutes ago, snk2d4ever said:

My VGA 85 was an 8.5 A+. The correct answer is it depends on why VGA graded it an 85.

I analyzed about 350 data points for the Wata crossover article, about 60 85s.  You got a weak 85 then, it was probably borderline 80+/85 and barely made it.  Most are in the 9 to 9.6 range, A to A+ wraps.  They'll hopefully publish my article in another couple weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 5:35 PM, DefaultGen said:

That's why we have this cool forum to discuss our strokes. Gimme perspective. How does something like this compare to the art world. Could you get a nice piece of one-of-a-kind art for $11,000 instead of this mass-produced albeit rare-in-this-state thing? I know we're in the brave new 2019 world, but damn for 5 figures I'd want the most special thing. I'm guessing $11k doesn't get you an A-list box art, but a B-list, Blades of Steel? D-list, The Mutant Virus? Today's prices, stuff you bought in 2005 doesn't count.

Feel free to post pictures of the Blades of Steel and Mutant Virus art because I'd find it humorous if you actually had them.

You got me thinking. As much as I love and would cherish any original Nes cover over a sealed game, I wonder what would be considered low end.  Maybe Taboo?  The original does exist but I think without the background behind the Sun face thing?  I think the painting was posted on NA at one point.  

Edited by Mydogsrule