IGNORED

Question about PS2 Console Boxes

AlfPogs

So I'm in the early process of doing some collection consolidation and was curious about my PS2 console box. Hoping there might be a PS2 expert or three who can help me.

I know there's different console boxes for the PS2 and am curious as to how this affects value.

Mine is from first wave of release. I know because I've had it since my friend who was a Funcoland employee backdoored it to me at launch. The box is in great condition and super complete as far as inserts. All the styrofoam. The plastic baggies for the console, controller, etc. The plastic baggies still have the twist ties in them. The paperwork is included as well. The only thing missing is the original console that came with it (got stolen when my apartment got broken into. Still mad about it). I do have a replacement console in there.

Anyway. I'm just curious if there's a way of telling / proving that it's an early box... or if that even matters.

I'm going to be selling it locally in person. So, I want to gauge a good price.

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one on launch day October 26, 2000.

30001 is the first model. It came in an all blue box with no slipcover. The only difference with later blue boxes released after launch are the games featured on the back. You can look at pictures around the net or on ebay to contrast against yours. Whether it matters is up to the buyer.

Price. Look online. Subtract 15% and barter with your buyer from there. Condition matters too. If yours if scuffed up, taped, writing, has creases or holes, or damaged in any other way, you have to knock down the price.

On 3/25/2021 at 2:09 PM, AlfPogs said:

So I'm in the early process of doing some collection consolidation and was curious about my PS2 console box. Hoping there might be a PS2 expert or three who can help me.

I know there's different console boxes for the PS2 and am curious as to how this affects value.

Mine is from first wave of release. I know because I've had it since my friend who was a Funcoland employee backdoored it to me at launch. The box is in great condition and super complete as far as inserts. All the styrofoam. The plastic baggies for the console, controller, etc. The plastic baggies still have the twist ties in them. The paperwork is included as well. The only thing missing is the original console that came with it (got stolen when my apartment got broken into. Still mad about it). I do have a replacement console in there.

Anyway. I'm just curious if there's a way of telling / proving that it's an early box... or if that even matters.

I'm going to be selling it locally in person. So, I want to gauge a good price.

Thanks.

Unless you have a buyer ready to go, I willing to pay you a more than fair price for a launch day box with inserts. My personal Ps2 I got on launched day and I've wanted a box for it for ages. If yours is in excellent shape, I'm willing to pay for it. PM me and we can work something out.

Edited by RH

I used to have a launch model and it was the first console I ever owned that failed on me.  After I bought a Slim to replace it, I ended up selling it as a "repair" model.  I even threw in the original box, cables and paperwork and I sold it for next to nothing.  I really regret that today.  Whoever bought it got a hell of a deal if they were able to fix it (actually it was a good deal even if it couldn't be fixed).

On 3/26/2021 at 3:47 PM, RH said:

Unless you have a buyer ready to go, I willing to pay you a more than fair price for a launch day box with inserts. My personal Ps2 I got on launched day and I've wanted a box for it for ages. If yours is in excellent shape, I'm willing to pay for it. PM me and we can work something out.

It's in great shape... but I'm in the midwest and my friend is tabling at a con in a couple weeks and he's gonna put it on his table for me. So I'm just hoping it sells there and that's that.

The box itself does have the 001 serial number.

Thanks for the replies.