IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Smash TV!

53 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

EDIT, and I wanted to mention, this is definitely an awesome game, but it really irks me that it resets your life count to five at the start of each level; I've always got like double digit lives at the end of level 1, then sure enough, level 2 starts and I'm down to five.  My copy also stops playing the background music when I die until I beat the current room; I'm not sure if this is a bug or what but it doesn't really affect gameplay at all, so whatever...

Ah that explains it. I kept wondering why I suddenly had less lives than I thought. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a game that my idea of, was nothing like what the game was.....awesome game for what it is and its hilarious!   edit: its not rare to get the "wtf" responce from an nes game. but this little

Posted Images

12 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Ah that explains it. I kept wondering why I suddenly had less lives than I thought. 

Well the upswing to this "feature" is that if you beat a level on your last life, when the next level boots up you'll magically be back up to 5, so you essentially get 15 free lives (not counting extras you find on the road) to beat the game, providing you always make it to level 3...

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well the upswing to this "feature" is that if you beat a level on your last life, when the next level boots up you'll magically be back up to 5, so you essentially get 15 free lives (not counting extras you find on the road) to beat the game, providing you always make it to level 3...

They should give points for left over lives.

• Like 1

Score updated to 7.8 million on page three. It was quite a run. Previously, I had never even made it to the stage 2 boss. I got access to my real NES on a CRT today. I'm not sure if that was the reason I did better or I just got good enough (CRT has less latency but the emulator's controls were much easier on my hands). My first run I was able to beat the game on my last life. The score feels a bit low, but I reached my goal of beating the game. 

Member · Posted

6,718,170 - I feel like I could top that but its the best I’m going to manage in a busy week. I really wanted to get on the board with this one, though. 

I realize it’s not the best port, but I’ll always have a soft spot for this game because it taught my four-year-old how to use a d-pad. I took the movement controller and let him have guns. It took ten minutes of running circles in the first room but eventually he figured it out, and making it all the way though Mutoid Man like that was one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had with a video game.

9ADD413B-E655-4772-A069-9213D862A28A.jpeg

Edited by dvertov

Finally beat the game and updated my score on page 2.  I didn't die in the final two key rooms or on the final boss, but my 11 Million is half a mil behind Arnpoly's, so I'll settle for second place (for now???) 'cause my thumbs are done with this game...

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
3 hours ago, Krunch said:

If the current scoreboard holds we’re gonna see a leaderboard tie for first at 20 points between Dr. Morbis and arnpoly. That really puts the pressure on you guys for Blue Marlin 😝

Heh, well I've never played an NES fishing game in my life (outside of testing them to see if they work when I get them), so I'll be going in greener than green for this next week, but I'll certainly be giving it the ol' college try...

Events Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

1 million might as well have been the participation score.

I played a bit this week and am still playing, got about an hour or so and i will post a score.  I am surprisingly decent at this.  Having just played robotron 64 for the beat them all thread kinda helped my dodging skills.  Just beat scarface and am taking a breather.  Also try to hit them bonus rooms if possible, that is gonna be where u rack up a lot of bonus points!!!!

• BeaIank unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to VGS!

Play, Make, Collect.

Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

Join the conversation!

• Similar Content

• By BeaIank
      Ladies and gentleman, welcome to a brand new week of mind blowing puzzle action!
      This week, our competitors will have to show us all their brain power to solve the mysteries of QUARTH!!!
      The rules for this week are extremely simple:
      Play 1 player Start on Area 0 Pick the ship you prefer. Play till game over If you beat the game with more than 100K points, reset the console and beat stage 1 again. Your score will be on the hi score. Highest score wins Genre: Puzzle  

The contest ends Sunday, 05/09/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      Welcome brave warriors and brace yourselves for this week we reach the unreachable final frontier!
      Our skilled players will have to prove their worth by conquering SPACE!
      So ready your ships, players, load your weapons and set off at light speed!
      This week, you will all have to master ALPHA MISSION!
      Here's the rules you will abide to:

Play till your last life or till you loop the game once. Once you reach SYD x 1 lives, pause the game at the start of the stage and take your picture You are not allowed to play your last life. You must pause the game, take your picture and end your run. Refer to the following line should you loop the game before you reach SYD x 1 lives ONE shall be the number thou shalt loop, and the number of the looping shall be one. Two shalt thou not loop, neither loop thou zero, excepting that thou then proceed to one. Thirteen is right out. Once the number one, being the first number, be reached, pause thy game and take thy picture. Thou run ends there. So, your run ends after you beat area 12. Should thou play a stage more than once, thou score shall be snuff out by the holy hand grenade and thus deemed invalid. If you pick the R power up, your run ends there. You must use missiles to kill the final boss. No point pressing on him allowed. JUST USE MISSILES AT HIM! You can reset a boss fight by going into the special ships selection screen. Don't use this glitch to fight a boss more than once. If you accidentally reset a boss fight after beating him once, your run is over. Thou must kill a boss only once Thou art forbidden to point press on the 6th boss. If thou point press there, I shall release The Beast of Caerbannog upon thee. Participation: 10,000 Genre: Shooter

The contest ends Sunday, 05/02/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
      Welcome to the MOST EXPECTED week of our beloved Weekly Contest.
      A fast paced week, full of action and high scores where our skilled players struggle to prove who is the VERY BEST at MARBLE MADNESS!
      Expect several heavy hitters to show out of nowhere to try to claim the title of BEST MARBLE MADNESS VGS player!
      The rules for this skirmish are very simple:
      Play till game over or till you beat the game Highest score wins Participation: 5,000 Genre: Arcade Get your marbles ready and be mad about them!

The contest ends Sunday, 04/18/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      Lasses and Lads, be READY, for a week of FAST paced racing is upon us!
      Our pilots will prove their mettle at the devious tracks of SUPER SPRINT!
      They must prove who is the fastest of them all through the following rules:
      Play till level 21 If you reach level 21, pause the game just as the race starts, without moving your car and take your picture If you fail to make to level 21, pause the game just as the opponent's car gets the checkered flag and take your picture Highest score wins Genre: Racing Now, hit the pedal to the metal!

The contest ends Sunday, 04/11/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!!
      It is TIME! The time you all have been waiting for. The time for the grandest event of the year to start.
      A fresh new start for all our competitors. A new chance to be crowned VGS CHAMPION! New genre badges to be earned to prove they are the VERY BEST in a certain game genre!
      It is TIME for our players to show the results of their training during the down time.
      @guillavoieand I are proud and honoured to present and start the VGS NES WEEKLY CONTEST 2021!

And... we start off with a CLASSIC! Super Mario Bros 3!

I bet all the evil turtle hoppers are ready to hop till Bowser's fortress, aren't you all?

Well, THINK AGAIN!
      Here's the evil, wicked, twisted rules that SMB3 will run under:
      One life only If you die, take your picture at the world map so we can assess progress Play till you beat world 1 If you skip stage 4, take a picture of the world map when Bowser's warship spawn to show that you skipped it. If you beat world 1, take your picture at the start of world 2 Progress + Highest score wins Participation: Beat stage 1 with a score of at least 15,000 Genre: Platformer I hope you all are READY FOR THIS CHALLENGE!!! And be happy I am not making you play as green Mario!
      The contest ends Sunday, 03/21/20 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.