IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Smash TV!

BeaIank

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

In a way this is one of the most impressive NES games I've seen. How does it push so many sprites without flicker?

You said it way fancier than I would have, but I basically had the same thought playing last night. Most NES games slowdown if a fourth or fifth enemy character is on screen. This thing has 500 moving parts all going at once and no issues with slowdown

23 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You said it way fancier than I would have, but I basically had the same thought playing last night. Most NES games slowdown if a fourth or fifth enemy character is on screen. This thing has 500 moving parts all going at once and no issues with slowdown

It's better than I was expecting. I may have to buy this one.

12 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

You aren't kidding I had 338k and didn't get my phone in time lol

I have an older cam and anything using flash will either overexpose the screen or take several seconds to go off and no matter what setting is used there's always going to be that likely possibility of blur from trying to fumble the thing into place right quick to get the screen properly framed.  There're two battles goin on; one on screen and one off, lol...

10 hours ago, mbd39 said:

What control scheme are you guys using? I'm using a PS4 controller with the default controls. It's probably a lot easier using two dpads/sticks.

Ive been using default controls. Playing on two nes controllers sounded a lot more difficult. 

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

What an addicting and fun game. Murder on the hands tho. I had always avoided this game thinking it  was gonna be an American gladiators style mini game.. with 2 controllers!! Glad I was wrong .  

Most Robotron 2084 clones tend to be AMAZING, fun games.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

I had always avoided this game thinking it  was gonna be an American gladiators style mini game.. with 2 controllers!! Glad I was wrong .  

Are you playing with two controllers too? Am I the only one that finds that concept absurdly unappetizing? 

Also, American Gladiators is the shit. All 5 mini games are tremendous. 

Never really played this game before. Tried with the single controller, didn't get very far. Tried the double fist and in my opinion, that is definitely the way to go on this one. I think I can do a lot better just need to find the time!

Second double-fist run and holy hell my fucking thumbs are sore. Especially the left one! Any tips for helping to not turn your thumbs into hamburger meat? Good improvement but I'm gonna give it a rest until tomorrow. I got blistas on mee fingas! (not really)

First run with a NES Max controller for movement. Slight improvement but most importantly the thumb still feels great. Downside is the awkward shape of the Max while holding it sideways. 

IMG_1584.JPG

Edited by Darth Vader
Updated Score

On 3/23/2021 at 8:35 PM, NESfiend said:

Its a novel concept. Im just not a fan of change. 

Understood.  I guess you don't have many hours of Robotron play under your belt from the arcade days?  I've never played SmashTV with only one controller, but I feel like it would be incredibly difficult to play that way, not unlike trying to play Arkanoid without a Vaus.  But anyway, this game absolutely kills my thumbs, so I'll play one game a day and re-post if any of my other scores top this one.  Hopefully I can beat this game before long, since I got to level 3 on my first try.   6,123,530 Update - 7,141,885:  Update #2: 7,656,300

Game Beaten, final score: 11,049,295

SMASHTV 4.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 2